Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Pool Runner Pool Runner is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 123
Default Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

So I've been patiently looking for some used OEM Ranger XLT, FX4, Explorer Saw Blades etc... and have had no luck. My favorite though are the FX4 split five wheels but thought they would be impossible to come by. That was until yesterday, I was skimming CL when I saw the ad, 16" Ford Ranger wheels brand new in box $200
You better believe I jumped on them; anyway I've got them and am now looking for advice on tire size for these? I have a bone stock '11 2wd coil front Ranger supercab. I'm worried if I go with the OEM size tire on these wheels they may rub on my 2wd, I know 4x4's, Sports & Edges have the 1-2" stock lift and torsion bars. But my coil front may rub? Any truth to this?

Another angle I may approach would be a more on-road type tire or more high performance tire like a 55-60 series on say a 255 wide? For more of a sport truck look, but I'm unsure what size would give me that meaty look without looking too awkward since my truck isn't lowered and I don't plan to lower it anytime too soon.



This is the Rig I'm working with....

__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT, SuperCab, 2wd, 5.0L

2011 Ford Ranger SC, 2wd, XLT, Auto, 2.3L (traded)

2011 Subaru Outback, Premium, CVT, 2.5L

Last edited by Pool Runner; 07-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM
clanier4x4 clanier4x4 is offline
Livin low...Ridin high
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,211
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

go with 31's it will look swweet
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT 4x4
>>>Build Thread<<<
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
2004xlmiller 2004xlmiller is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,689
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

yea do 31s. and yea man, i posted the link to that here hoping someone would jump on it. pm me your #, we should have a mini meet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Redneckstone Redneckstone is offline
Welcome to FRF, & enjoy!

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,110
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

First stop!

Take off the front wheel in your truck. Remove that gray center cap on those wheels and make sure it will seat fully on your hub. You have hub bearings that stick out and those wheels only came on the 4x4 trucks because they have flush hubs. I remember a guy trying to use those on a 2wd truck I can't remember of they worked
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad, 4.0L ext cab, Converted to Manual M5OD-R1HD.
_____________
33x13.50 Toyo M/T, 15x10, Body Lift, Rebuilt OHV, JBA headers, Hurst shifter, Warn VR10000-s, Class 1 bars, Belltech Shackles, Mustang GT rear disc, Level II hooks, Modded rear hitch, Custom front hitch, Level II Blue seats and black console, Explorer IRS rear cover, Extang fulltilt, Leer Cap Yakima Roof Rack, Cobra 29 with firestik stake mount, Scangauge II
Few mods
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Pool Runner Pool Runner is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 123
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone View Post
First stop!

Take off the front wheel in your truck. Remove that gray center cap on those wheels and make sure it will seat fully on your hub. You have hub bearings that stick out and those wheels only came on the 4x4 trucks because they have flush hubs. I remember a guy trying to use those on a 2wd truck I can't remember of they worked
Ohh Good point! , worse case I can take a dead blow hammer to my hub bearing covers right?
__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT, SuperCab, 2wd, 5.0L

2011 Ford Ranger SC, 2wd, XLT, Auto, 2.3L (traded)

2011 Subaru Outback, Premium, CVT, 2.5L
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Pool Runner Pool Runner is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 123
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone View Post
First stop!

Take off the front wheel in your truck. Remove that gray center cap on those wheels and make sure it will seat fully on your hub. You have hub bearings that stick out and those wheels only came on the 4x4 trucks because they have flush hubs. I remember a guy trying to use those on a 2wd truck I can't remember of they worked

Yeah just tried to bolt one up to the the front, there is no way this is going to work on my 2wd. I'm off to post these for sale in the classified section

Does anyone know if these will work on 2wd Edge or Sport models since they should have the same spindle/ hub as a 4x4 Ranger?
__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT, SuperCab, 2wd, 5.0L

2011 Ford Ranger SC, 2wd, XLT, Auto, 2.3L (traded)

2011 Subaru Outback, Premium, CVT, 2.5L
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 PM
98rangerxlt 98rangerxlt is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 303
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

They wont work on 2wd edge or sport models, those have a 2wd hub setup.
__________________
98 ford ranger xlt ex cab 4.0 v6 auto trans
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Bwad Bwad is offline
Turd Generation Ranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,972
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Lucky! I need to find some of those wheels too!

But personally, I wouldn't run any wider than a 235 on those. I believe they are a 7" wide rim? 255s would look waaay too meaty on a 7" rim. i say maybe a 235/60/16.
__________________
1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L
It's lowered and stuff.

My Build Thread

Last edited by Bwad; 07-04-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
StealthRanger StealthRanger is offline
RIP Jason Finn
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,605
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwad View Post
Lucky! I need to find some of those wheels too!
He just put them up for sale!
__________________
__________________

99 Ext Cab Stepside 3.0 XLT 4x4 & L/S 4:10 Gears.
Mods, Click ===> StealthRanger's Build Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacked Out FX4 View Post
Are two naked girls in your bed better than one? Question answered
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecakezzz View Post
Black out ftw!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Bwad Bwad is offline
Turd Generation Ranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,972
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRanger View Post
He just put them up for sale!
If only I had the money! Lol.
__________________
1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L
It's lowered and stuff.

My Build Thread
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 PM
StealthRanger StealthRanger is offline
RIP Jason Finn
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,605
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwad View Post
If only I had the money! Lol.

Lol! Yep, totally understand that problem. It drives me nuts.
__________________
__________________

99 Ext Cab Stepside 3.0 XLT 4x4 & L/S 4:10 Gears.
Mods, Click ===> StealthRanger's Build Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacked Out FX4 View Post
Are two naked girls in your bed better than one? Question answered
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecakezzz View Post
Black out ftw!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Pool Runner Pool Runner is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 123
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Anyone know if the 5/spoke saw blade style 16" from the older Ranger/ Explorer I think 2000-2003 years work on the 2wd trucks? If so I would do a straight up trade for those. Reason I ask are the saw blade wheels seem to have a big chrome cap like my 7-spoke steel wheels, so that makes me think they may work. If anyone in Nor Cal has a set of these and wants to trade hit me up.

This is the wheel I would like to trade for if it works on my 2wd.....

__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT, SuperCab, 2wd, 5.0L

2011 Ford Ranger SC, 2wd, XLT, Auto, 2.3L (traded)

2011 Subaru Outback, Premium, CVT, 2.5L

Last edited by Pool Runner; 07-04-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Why not keep the FX4 ones and run spacers?
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
CaymanBlueLongRanger CaymanBlueLongRanger is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Default Re: Scored a set of FX4 Ranger wheels for my 2wd? What size tire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
So I've been patiently looking for some used OEM Ranger XLT, FX4, Explorer Saw Blades etc... and have had no luck. My favorite though are the FX4 split five wheels but thought they would be impossible to come by. That was until yesterday, I was skimming CL when I saw the ad, 16" Ford Ranger wheels brand new in box $200
You better believe I jumped on them; anyway I've got them and am now looking for advice on tire size for these? I have a bone stock '11 2wd coil front Ranger supercab. I'm worried if I go with the OEM size tire on these wheels they may rub on my 2wd, I know 4x4's, Sports & Edges have the 1-2" stock lift and torsion bars. But my coil front may rub? Any truth to this?

Another angle I may approach would be a more on-road type tire or more high performance tire like a 55-60 series on say a 255 wide? For more of a sport truck look, but I'm unsure what size would give me that meaty look without looking too awkward since my truck isn't lowered and I don't plan to lower it anytime too soon.



This is the Rig I'm working with....

I'm putting 235 70 16s on my ,96 2X longbox. (caymanbluelongranger) on the TorqueThrusts. Lots of room
__________________
1996 Ranger XL Long box - over 310,000km, All original (Cayman Blue) paint -16 inch Eagle Alloy Torque Thrusts.

4 liter 5 speed 3.55 Posi with cap and box liner

Waterloo Ontario
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i have a 2001 ford ranger xlt 2wd. what is the biggest tire size i can fit Zach Wheels and Tires 7 12-21-2011 08:50 AM
What size tire can fit on my ranger Dylanlt05 Wheels and Tires 5 04-16-2011 08:05 AM
For Sale: Ranger Level II Alcoa Wheels with Caps (1 set) - $350 OBO - CA krackajak Tire & Wheel Items 25 03-13-2011 02:31 PM
2008 Ford Ranger 2wd- Max tire size RangerRandall Wheels and Tires 8 12-03-2010 09:44 PM
max tire size for 99 2wd RangerTruck Wheels and Tires 6 11-22-2010 09:38 PM