Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 11-30-2008, 02:41 AM
tazzman59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

It came stock with a lift kit, so I won't be needing that.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default

What size is the lift kit? Stock you can fit 32x11.5" size tires.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
06SportRanger 06SportRanger is offline
06SportRanger
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Default

I was looking to put oversized tires on my 06 Sport 2x4 without changing the ride height as well. I have heard from many people that 31" to 32" is about the largest you can go. As far as the stock lift kit, I beleive that it is about 2" from a 2x4 XLT. Basically, the 2x4 sports have the 4x4 XLT, unfortunatly not FX4, suspension without the front axle and drivetrain.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 AM
RangerJustin RangerJustin is offline
~+!)@(#*$&%^
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,033
Send a message via AIM to RangerJustin Send a message via Skype™ to RangerJustin
Default

I have 32s and many many people with Sport/EDGE/4x4 run 32s with maybe a slight twist of the t-bars. It is not really lifted, that is just the suspension. The XLT 2wds are coil sprung where as Sport/EDGE/4x4 have trosion bar suspension.
__________________
Sold:2004 XLT 4x2 Ext. Cab. 3.0 Mods: 3" spindle, AAL, shackle, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, billet grille, clear corners, flow 40 dumped, line-x, CB/PA, traction bars, lil sound system, auto up down windows
Sold:2005 XLT 4x4 Ext. Cab. 4.0 Mods: ProComp lights w/ HID swap on tabs, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, CB/PA, black out heads/corners, lil sound system, cranked t-bars, flow 40 dumped, line-x, shell, bed rug, 06+ tails, metal tail gate handle since plastic one shattered, OHC, Mustang Dome.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2010, 05:38 PM
tbs tbs is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SportRanger View Post
I was looking to put oversized tires on my 06 Sport 2x4 without changing the ride height as well. I have heard from many people that 31" to 32" is about the largest you can go. As far as the stock lift kit, I beleive that it is about 2" from a 2x4 XLT. Basically, the 2x4 sports have the 4x4 XLT, unfortunatly not FX4, suspension without the front axle and drivetrain.
I have a question when you replace your standard tire on the ranger 225/70/15 with 32x11.5x16 does this cause a problem to the transmissiom and motor. I was told overtime you could damage both.

tbs-tbsmetals@sourcecable.net

----------

2006 Ranger 2x4- 2wd-3.0 L motor
tire size 225/70/15

all tires were replaced with 32x11.5x16

since we put the tires on the last 18 months we rebuilt the trans twice and replaced the valves in the motor just recently.

tbs-tbsmetals@sourcecable.net
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Dantforth Dantforth is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 208
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

I would think that there would be so much extra weight that it would be harder on engine, clutch and transmission. The other issue is how they would affect anti=lok brakes and traction control. I just had 235/75/R15's put on my XL two wheel drive all the way around and the diameter puts the speedo out by 3 Mph. I like that the truck sits higher but I was advised that going any larger would cause problems with warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
TerrenceStuart TerrenceStuart is offline
Old man driver.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,895
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbs View Post
I have a question when you replace your standard tire on the ranger 225/70/15 with 32x11.5x16 does this cause a problem to the transmissiom and motor. I was told overtime you could damage both.

tbs-tbsmetals@sourcecable.net

----------

2006 Ranger 2x4- 2wd-3.0 L motor
tire size 225/70/15

all tires were replaced with 32x11.5x16

since we put the tires on the last 18 months we rebuilt the trans twice and replaced the valves in the motor just recently.

tbs-tbsmetals@sourcecable.net
you went from a 225 to a 285? and did not change the gearing? wow... it must take you a long time to get up to 65 from a dead stop. my 4.0 with 32's and 4.10's takes about 15 seconds (on a straight, dry road) to get up to 65.
no wonder your transmission and engine is failing. I suppose you also have a huge lift on it too...LOL
__________________
some kind of vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:31 PM
MisterGrubbs MisterGrubbs is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Send a message via AIM to MisterGrubbs
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Sorry to bring up a thread from the past, but quick question

I have a 2011 Sport 2x4 Ranger. I will be adding a leveling kit to the front end and putting 32" tires on it with 20" rims.

Is this going to be overly hard on my engine/transmission and should I consider going smaller, or should it be okay? Truck is a 4.0l

Once again sorry for bring it up from the dead, but I assumed it was better/easier than creating a new thread.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

There is no such thing as a leveling kit for our trucks, you're probably looking at buyings keyys which is bad news. Just save your money, crank the torsion bars and slap on your tire/wheel setup.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM
MisterGrubbs MisterGrubbs is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Send a message via AIM to MisterGrubbs
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
There is no such thing as a leveling kit for our trucks, you're probably looking at buyings keyys which is bad news. Just save your money, crank the torsion bars and slap on your tire/wheel setup.
VERY much prefer not crank the torsion bars.

Bad alignment, more stress on the front end by a God awful amount and the last truck (Chevrolet Duramax) that had the torsion bars jacked up snapped tie rods. Its something I would like to avoid.

Any other ways of going about having a few inches and a level truck? Not lowering the ass end either.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGrubbs View Post
VERY much prefer not crank the torsion bars.

Bad alignment, more stress on the front end by a God awful amount and the last truck (Chevrolet Duramax) that had the torsion bars jacked up snapped tie rods. Its something I would like to avoid.

Any other ways of going about having a few inches and a level truck? Not lowering the ass end either.

If you're worried about that then you definitely want to stay away from the leveling keys.

Your only real option is to spend the $400 or so on a spindle lift
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM
MisterGrubbs MisterGrubbs is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Send a message via AIM to MisterGrubbs
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If you're worried about that then you definitely want to stay away from the leveling keys.

Your only real option is to spend the $400 or so on a spindle lift
That sucks

Edit for stupidity, the lift was for "coil spring suspension only" so I would assume it does not apply to my truck.

If someone/anyone has a link to the proper spindle kit let me know, I'm checking Ebay now.

Would you/the people here consider this detrimental? If you'd like(if you want) shoot me a PM or you can get me on AIM at BigBoyGrubbs, it'd make life a ton easier and keep this thread cleaner. Thank you for the input.

Edit number 5 million, it seems

Found this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...#ht_3018wt_939

I know that it states 4x4, but it's just an "upgrade" for the torsion key, from what I can tell. Is this what ya'll were telling me to avoid? Please excuse the ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Last edited by MisterGrubbs; 03-08-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-08-2011, 12:30 AM
doyouquaxu doyouquaxu is offline
Almost ******
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,480
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

yeah stay away from that. torsion keys are similar to cranking the bolt down. they position the indexing pin that sticks out of the bar at a different point, so that now with the keys it makes them stiffer and raises your ride height.
__________________
Why does everyone think prerunners just jump stuff?


Please click HERE to watch this video!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 PM
MisterGrubbs MisterGrubbs is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 74
Send a message via AIM to MisterGrubbs
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouquaxu View Post
yeah stay away from that. torsion keys are similar to cranking the bolt down. they position the indexing pin that sticks out of the bar at a different point, so that now with the keys it makes them stiffer and raises your ride height.
Well I know you can never trust the websites but sheesh, I figured that'd work out okay.

So essentially I'm SOL as of right now unless I spend 500 bucks on a kit that replaces the front end using a 3" lift spindle?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: what are the largest tires I can put on my '06 Ford Ranger Sport-ex-cab? 2WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGrubbs View Post
Well I know you can never trust the websites but sheesh, I figured that'd work out okay.

So essentially I'm SOL as of right now unless I spend 500 bucks on a kit that replaces the front end using a 3" lift spindle?
You can get the kits for about $300 used $400 new depending on brand.

Send a PM to this guy, he owns a part business and can probably get you a good price on a new kit: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...medxonair.html
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I replace all terrain tires (OEM) with all season tires on 4x4 Ford Ranger? charlie51505150 Wheels and Tires 13 02-26-2011 10:55 AM
Ford Ranger Sport truck 3l compared to 4l? Victoria S 3.0 Vulcan Tech 8 09-30-2009 07:02 AM
largest tires conman2509 Wheels and Tires 3 05-15-2009 01:05 AM
i have a 2003 Ford Explorer & i was wondering if a ranger or sport trac... Derek R Lifted Suspension 1 11-29-2008 10:03 PM