Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM
ricochet ricochet is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 410
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

Taking the narrow tire in the snow theme to the extreme:
__________________
2011 Supercab Sport 4x4, 4.0L, Auto, 3.73LS.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM
markk53 markk53 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 271
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

Pretty darn neat. Kinda like the mud buggy wheels...



__________________
1996 Ranger Splash 4.0/5sp manual 3/4'ed - haul yard waste, mulch, orders of hard wood for my classes, and tow a 5x10' enclosed trailer around a bit.
1995 Kawasaki KLX650C big bore 678cc - lotta fun!
1990 Kawasaki ZR550 Zephyr - that old AMA Superbike look I love.
1978 Yamaha SR500 street-tracker with the emphasis on tracker (short tracker with lights).

Last edited by markk53; 02-01-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM
fourtires fourtires is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

I found an online calc for sizing tires to match stock diameter.


http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r16-215-85r16

It looks like a 215/85R16 works well. I may need a thinner rim though. I believe mine is 7" wide.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2014, 04:38 AM
markk53 markk53 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 271
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtires View Post
I found an online calc for sizing tires to match stock diameter.


http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r16-215-85r16

It looks like a 215/85R16 works well. I may need a thinner rim though. I believe mine is 7" wide.
When you look on Tire Rack you will find they give rim width compatability in the specs. Some 215s will work with a 7" rim with the tall profile, Bridgestone Blizzaks show compatability from 5.5-7" width when you look at the specs. Kumho Road Ventures go from 6-7". Lots of information if you pick and choose to learn what you want.
__________________
1996 Ranger Splash 4.0/5sp manual 3/4'ed - haul yard waste, mulch, orders of hard wood for my classes, and tow a 5x10' enclosed trailer around a bit.
1995 Kawasaki KLX650C big bore 678cc - lotta fun!
1990 Kawasaki ZR550 Zephyr - that old AMA Superbike look I love.
1978 Yamaha SR500 street-tracker with the emphasis on tracker (short tracker with lights).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:23 AM
Redneckstone Redneckstone is offline
Welcome to FRF, & enjoy!

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,130
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

Ah the good old snow debate. People stuck in older thinking of narrow is best. People in the newer wave thinking wide is best. The link you posted I have read it before along with tons of other sites actually doing real life testing. And guess what everyone found. Width really isn't the factor with winter. It's sipping in the tire is the factor. Even stock size go get yourself a set of actual winter only rated tires. If you have been around winters enough as you have stated. You should have had a set of these by now. Size doesn't matter at all.

Going by your theory I should be stuck everywhere being my tires actually measure out to 14" wide. But yet I am in the snow belt and frequently go to the UP of mich and get around like it's not even snowing out.
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad, 4.0L ext cab, Converted to Manual M5OD-R1HD.
_____________
33x13.50 Toyo M/T, 15x10, Body Lift, Rebuilt OHV, JBA headers, Hurst shifter, Warn VR10000-s, Class 1 bars, Belltech Shackles, Mustang GT rear disc, Level II hooks, Modded rear hitch, Custom front hitch, Level II Blue seats and black console, Explorer IRS rear cover, Extang fulltilt, Leer Cap Yakima Roof Rack, Cobra 29 with firestik stake mount, Scangauge II
Few mods
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 AM
fourtires fourtires is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone View Post
Ah the good old snow debate. People stuck in older thinking of narrow is best. People in the newer wave thinking wide is best. The link you posted I have read it before along with tons of other sites actually doing real life testing. And guess what everyone found. Width really isn't the factor with winter. It's sipping in the tire is the factor. Even stock size go get yourself a set of actual winter only rated tires. If you have been around winters enough as you have stated. You should have had a set of these by now. Size doesn't matter at all.

Going by your theory I should be stuck everywhere being my tires actually measure out to 14" wide. But yet I am in the snow belt and frequently go to the UP of mich and get around like it's not even snowing out.
Winter only is definitely best. I had a pair on my vw golf and noticed a huge change. They were also more narrow then my gti stock. Since then I decided to always run winter tires. I see all seasons as being subpar all conditions. I just bought the truck and even though it's gonna snow another 5cm today I'm going to think this though thoroughly. I may have to compromise. There are several possible scenarios, but you're right, winter spec with sips do the trick.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2014, 10:02 AM
GLH GLH is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Clearly it isn't about looks, it's about best way to cut through snow. In snow rally cars go to extremely narrow tires and studs. I plan to do the same thing next year on my 2wd, narrow tires to cut into the snow and snow tires on the back. Been around in the winter long enough to know wide ain't best. I'm betting 215s in a high profile would be good to go. ---------- 265? That's a 10 inch wide tire! Far too wide to cut into snow. I had a heck of a time with my 235s cutting in. When I do snow tires next fall I'm going to go probably with a 215/75 with a full on snow tread on the back which would actually be taller than the 235/60. Narrow works. Applying the weight over the smaller contact patch makes for more pounds per square inch to the ground, cuts through snow easier. ---------- S10s came with 205s at one time. I'm betting the Rangers in the lower line run small tires. Tire Rack lists a 215/75 for light trucks with a 1742 lb load rating/tire. Not many going to haul that much in a Ranger in the winter snow. Even a 205/75 listed has 1598 rated. With the high profile the ride won't be all that bad. Not everything has to be monster-wide to function.
Snow tires with or without studs should always be installed in sets of 4. You also need steering traction.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Clearly it isn't about looks, it's about best way to cut through snow. In snow rally cars go to extremely narrow tires and studs. I plan to do the same thing next year on my 2wd, narrow tires to cut into the snow and snow tires on the back. Been around in the winter long enough to know wide ain't best. I'm betting 215s in a high profile would be good to go. ---------- 265? That's a 10 inch wide tire! Far too wide to cut into snow. I had a heck of a time with my 235s cutting in. When I do snow tires next fall I'm going to go probably with a 215/75 with a full on snow tread on the back which would actually be taller than the 235/60. Narrow works. Applying the weight over the smaller contact patch makes for more pounds per square inch to the ground, cuts through snow easier. ---------- S10s came with 205s at one time. I'm betting the Rangers in the lower line run small tires. Tire Rack lists a 215/75 for light trucks with a 1742 lb load rating/tire. Not many going to haul that much in a Ranger in the winter snow. Even a 205/75 listed has 1598 rated. With the high profile the ride won't be all that bad. Not everything has to be monster-wide to function.
75 series is more narrow than 70 series. 265 is the height of the sidewall. 75 is the ration of tread width to that height.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,181
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

pizza disks for the win!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2014, 02:03 PM
cdawall cdawall is offline
Jeep recovery vehicle
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

235/85's would be the tire size you were looking for if you wanted a thin/tallish tire with a truck rating.
__________________
'05 Ranger Edge SAS'd, 5.38's, D60/D60U, 38.5" TSL SX's, October 2012 TOTM, build thead
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Devon H. Devon H. is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 429
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

simmer down guys, it's just a thread lol
__________________
Devon - 2008 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 Manual. To name a few...
32x11.5x15 Yokohama Geolander AT/S on 15x10 MT Classic Locks.
Superchips, Flow Master 4" tip. Kenwood DDX 470 head unit, Kicker Comp S 10" sub, Kicker 600.1 amp. Pre Keys cranked, shackles, K&N intake, reversed Ranger emblems.
Build Thread: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ml#post2062485
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Logan03CO Logan03CO is offline
No wire hangers, ever!

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,383
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH View Post
265 is the height of the sidewall. 75 is the ration of tread width to that height.
Nope - You've got that backwards.

Quick Summary ('Borrowed' from the Internet):

We'll first label the parts as follows:

285/70/R17
_^__^__^
_A__B___C

A- This is the width of the tire in millimeters. The conversion is 1"= 25.4mm so for our example: 285/25.4= 11.22" width.

B- This part is the "aspect ratio" of the tire and is a relation of the tire's width to the sidewall height of the tire. In our example it's '70'. This means the sidewall height is 70% (.70 in calculation) of the width of the tire. That means the sidewall height is:

11.22 x .70= 7.85"
BUT there is a 'sidewall' both above and below your wheel when measuring height, so you must multiply this by 2 when calculating the tire's overall height.

C- This third piece is simply your rim size. So, for a final calculation of a tire's size, you add this to the total from part B.

In conclusion, a 285/70/R17 equates to 11.22" wide and is (7.85x2)+17"= 32.71" tall, or basically equivalent to a 33x11.50R17 if we called it a standard size.

How about one more example, 265/75/R16:

Width: 265/25.4= 10.43"
Sidewall: 10.43 x .75= 7.82"
overall height: (7.82" x 2)+ 16"= 31.64" tall. Basically, a 32x10.50R16
__________________
Curent 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 owner - Build Thread for her: Logan's 2003 Mach 1

Former 2003 Ford Ranger owner - Build Thread for her: Project Budget Buster
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Saves Saves is offline
huh?
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 510
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

To get a narrower tread but still have the overall diameter of the tire unchanged, you need to look for these tire sizes:

215/85R16
225/75R16

Or if you went with a dedicated winter set of wheels that were 15" you could need:

245/90R15

That will reduce your tread by 1.4 inches in width. will still fit perfectly fine on a 7 inch wheel. only problem i see is tires available in that size, shouldnt be too much of a problem.
__________________
2011 Sport 2wd || Doestch Spindles || Shackles || Rancho RS5000 || 32" BFG AT KO2 || Method Holes || MBRP SS Catback || Airaid Intake || Hurst Shifter || BiXenon D2S Retrofit || LED Fogs || Detroit Truetrac || LED Conversion || Hella Supertones || Chrome on Black Emblems || Bushwacker Bed Rails || SwingCase Toolbox || In Bed Bike Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2014, 05:33 PM
cdawall cdawall is offline
Jeep recovery vehicle
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

So anyway 235/8516's fit and are narrow would probably go that route since they are like a normal tire size available at any tire store.
__________________
'05 Ranger Edge SAS'd, 5.38's, D60/D60U, 38.5" TSL SX's, October 2012 TOTM, build thead
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM
markk53 markk53 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 271
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone View Post
Ah the good old snow debate. People stuck in older thinking of narrow is best. People in the newer wave thinking wide is best. The link you posted I have read it before along with tons of other sites actually doing real life testing. And guess what everyone found. Width really isn't the factor with winter. It's sipping in the tire is the factor. Even stock size go get yourself a set of actual winter only rated tires. If you have been around winters enough as you have stated. You should have had a set of these by now. Size doesn't matter at all.

Going by your theory I should be stuck everywhere being my tires actually measure out to 14" wide. But yet I am in the snow belt and frequently go to the UP of mich and get around like it's not even snowing out.
You better tell all the rally car drivers they're full of BS, that wide tires work better than narrow when there's snow. Seems they all go to a narrower tire, usually studs too. But they clearly don't have a clue. To quote Bugs Bunny - What a bunch of maroons.

Your getting around so well couldn't have anything to do with being a 4wd, could it? About any front wheel drive car will out do my pickup due to the light rear end.

Besides, the OP said he liked the skinny tire look a bit. It also makes financial sense, narrow high profile will cost less than monster wide tires, along with taking less horsepower to run the lighter tire, which should also affect gas mileage and acceleration.
__________________
1996 Ranger Splash 4.0/5sp manual 3/4'ed - haul yard waste, mulch, orders of hard wood for my classes, and tow a 5x10' enclosed trailer around a bit.
1995 Kawasaki KLX650C big bore 678cc - lotta fun!
1990 Kawasaki ZR550 Zephyr - that old AMA Superbike look I love.
1978 Yamaha SR500 street-tracker with the emphasis on tracker (short tracker with lights).

Last edited by markk53; 02-02-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 PM
cdawall cdawall is offline
Jeep recovery vehicle
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: How narrow can we go?

He is partially correct a good snow tire in a 265/75 will outperform a shitty snow tire in 235/85 even with similar heights and a substantial width difference.
__________________
'05 Ranger Edge SAS'd, 5.38's, D60/D60U, 38.5" TSL SX's, October 2012 TOTM, build thead
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
douchey, narrow, ranger, tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you like the side step narrow bed for the ranger? zipsayain Exterior Tech 78 03-31-2013 11:40 AM
Narrow tires aulee42 Wheels and Tires 2 04-20-2011 10:46 AM
DeeZee 12" narrow truck box vapiper Vehicle Snapshots 11 01-18-2011 09:45 AM
Camper Stuck In Narrow Alley Tom Vehicle Videos 18 07-30-2010 06:50 AM