Well what started as a boom on my birthday from the rear end, resulted in this:
Second bolt head to shear off in 6 months, both on the same side of the carrier, both sheared... Didn't blow the carrier, just the bolt heads... Really weird and never heard of on the Torsen.
No cracks here, unlike what the early 02's normally do on manual/manual trucks.
So after that happened, Shane and I pulled the rear axle and took his spare axle to our gear guy locally, and had him work his magic. Installed a set of 4.88 Yukons front and rear. Since the Spartan locker wasn't made for the 8.8 yet, I went with the Lock Rite. Total on that with new carrier and master install kits was $1175. He didn't charge me for a lot of the extra stuff he did too while he had the axles there..
I guess I'll start front to rear... Up front, well nothing major happened. Just the the 4.88's and polished up the axle, well wire wheeled it so it would be nice and clean going in. I also cleaned up the C/O's with some Gunk degreaser and painted the front calipers with Shane's Duplicolor old school caliper paint. Not the spray can kind, but the brush on stuff. It's awesome, it's almost like it's a powder coat like finish and it's durable! When I tried takin the sway bar off to get the LCA's at full droop, the top link stripped out, since it hasn't moved on that bar in 3 years (I would assume)... So I took out the bolt bolt then completely removed it until I can get that figured out later. But for now, it rides awesome up front, and barely noticed I even took it off. The C/O's help big time with that!
Now the rear is where Shane and I put in work! Starting with the axle being pulled out for the gear and locker install. Once we got it all back, brought it home and I went to town with the wire wheel on it. Bare metal. Gave it about 2 good coats of paint, with 2 good coats of clear before we threw it under the truck. Also, took Shane's spare diff cover to work to blast off all the rubber crap that comes on it from the factory. Once we did that, shot it with bed-liner as primer, then hit it with 3 coats of DSG followed by one thick coat of clear. Oh yeah, after we pulled the axles, I decided I wanted to do discs out back. So we pulled all the drum brake stuff and cables and threw it in the bed. Went to the junkyard the next day and pulled a set of backing plates, calipers and a front shaft (which is painted silver to match the aluminum rear shaft) from a 95 expo that has the double cardon joints at the t-case. Brought all that home and went to town again with the wire wheel on everything and painted it all up. Total from that JY that day was $81 ($28 for the front shaft, just needs new 1310 spicer joints which are $11/piece). New pads and shoes for the disc setup was a total of $58, new soft lines for the calipers were $24 and new hard lines to the new calipers was $6, misc nuts and bolts came to about $20 (we figured about $140 total on the rear disc setup, since shane had a spare set of expo rotors at home).
I didn't take very many progress pics, just trying to get it done and on the road again, but here's some I took from my phone..
And now for some good pics. Forgot about the expo leafs, which I got with about 36k on them. Paid about $40 from a JY, and the nice thing about them was I was able to keep my 2.5" block, but I got to remove the AAL since the expos give 2" over the ranger springs. Needless to say, that's the way to go. It rides SOOOOOO much better and it's gonna flex better when I take it up the mountain and put it through the snow trails I go down. All we did was run a expo ranger hybrid pack which basically was all expo leafs with a ranger overload and then my RCD shim to set the right pinion angle.
Showing the sweet DSG cover!
Brembo'zzzzzz.... Lol, I wish, but they do look awesome with everything else under it! We used an all-thread union and welded it to the under side of the spring perch for the soft line to mount to, then used grade 8 hardware and kept it looking clean!
While I had it up in the air, I cut a few new brackets at work to move my light tabs up 2in from where the where. The ones I had on the hitch under the bumper... Well now they're right under the bumper and it looks great!
Then we finally put on the Super44 I had laying around from when I bought it from a member on one of the forums back in the spring. Went and had a 2.5" tube bent to move the centers at 3" spacing, flared the ends and had 2 turn downs cut. Total on that was $40 and I had new exhaust. Sounds great and looks awesome as well.
And here's what I left the shop with! Minus the Torsen and the 4.10 gear box I had in there and the paint box I took... This is what I was left with!
I'm very pleased with all of it now though. Stoked about the gears and the locker, and the disc setup being only one other person has done it (And we're doing Shane's next!). I love the ride now too and highly suggest getting expo leafs over any AAL. Total that was spent in the past 9 days came out to around $1400, but it was all in-due-time mods, that all happened at once while it was down for the count getting gears!