Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM
MisterSteve MisterSteve is offline
2000 2WD Vulcan Supercab
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
Default Ball Joint press kit

I'm getting ready to replace my upper control arms and lower ball joints and am would like to know if anyone can tell me what size cups would be needed in the press kit that I buy. I have seen an "update kit" by OTC 6731. Does anyone know if this is absolutely needed to get the job done or can I just get some sort of standard set? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,181
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

the kit at harbor freight has the right sizes. i have no idea what diameter they are though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
94AubergineXLT 94AubergineXLT is offline
Ford's Rule!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 947
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

Are there any parts stores in your area that loan tools ( for free actually )
Sure beats buying them if you ask me!
__________________
94 3.0L 5 spd 4x4 Ranger XLTSOLD
2004 Mustang Cobra Convertible 453/471
2013 1.6 Tuxedo Black Ford Escape
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
96Ranger2.3 96Ranger2.3 is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 79
Default

I got the harbor freight one. works ok, especially for smaller vehicles. Keep your receipt.lol
You can usually find a 20% off coupon in a handyman or car magazine.

96 ranger xlt 2wd 2.3l 5 spd
__________________
1996 Ford Ranger
Ext Cab XLT
2.3 L SOHC
145,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,181
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Ranger2.3 View Post
I got the harbor freight one. works ok, especially for smaller vehicles. Keep your receipt.lol
You can usually find a 20% off coupon in a handyman or car magazine.

96 ranger xlt 2wd 2.3l 5 spd
that's a great post lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

Those things are worthless and are so annoying to use. They always kick off to the side. Look thru my how to, you can just use a jack to get the lowers in.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM
MisterSteve MisterSteve is offline
2000 2WD Vulcan Supercab
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

I picked up a loaner set from auto zone. I gave them a $100 deposit and I can bring it back whenever and get my money back so I'll see how that goes. I'll take a look at your how to with a jack though. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,181
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

fyi - i used the clamp to press most of the way out & them a jack & hammer to finish popping them out. (kit has lack of travel) same for pressing new ones in IIRC...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,044
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

OP what year is your truck? Ive found on the 98+ IFS a balljoint press is a waste of time and doesnt really work. I use the jack method like Jason mentioned. The 97 and older TTB/ Twin I-beam I had better luck with the press.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

^^^yea, that. if your 97 or older you'll probably be just removing the knuckle anyhow. then it becomes a bench/vise job
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,181
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

a good vice is how we did it on lots of older equipment lol
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 AM
MisterSteve MisterSteve is offline
2000 2WD Vulcan Supercab
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

Its a 2000 2wd with front coil springs no torsion bars. looks like this
and they make that nice squeaky sound too.
__________________
2000 2WD Vulcan Supercab
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
02BLUEdge 02BLUEdge is offline
Sold this bish, no regret
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSteve View Post
I picked up a loaner set from auto zone. I gave them a $100 deposit and I can bring it back whenever and get my money back so I'll see how that goes. I'll take a look at your how to with a jack though. Thanks.
If it is the same one I borrowed from Autozone today then it is a piece of crap. It kicked off to the side and now I have a ball joint is all ****-eyed and no amount of pressure will get it out. Hell we even broke a Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet. We are at the point now where I need to remove the torsion bar to remove the lower A arm to get the damn thing out. Either way best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh, the O'reilly's loaner ball joint press is a little beefier and runs about $125.
__________________
2002 Blue Edge <-- Retired off road toy
3.0 Automatic, 2wd, 4:56's, 35x12.5 Kuhmo's, Lifted 2x, and more. TOTM July 2015

2002 Jeep TJ <-- NEW off road toy!
2.5L 5-spd, Skyjacker 4.5", 4:56's, Aussie Lockers, 33x12.5's, and more.

Build Thread --> http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...blue-edge.html
Youtube --> https://www.youtube.com/user/smashlizard
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,181
Default Re: Ball Joint press kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BLUEdge View Post
If it is the same one I borrowed from Autozone today then it is a piece of crap. It kicked off to the side and now I have a ball joint is all ****-eyed and no amount of pressure will get it out. Hell we even broke a Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet. We are at the point now where I need to remove the torsion bar to remove the lower A arm to get the damn thing out. Either way best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh, the O'reilly's loaner ball joint press is a little beefier and runs about $125.
you can get it out with a BAH (big-ass hammer) & jacks & jackstands securing the lower arm.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Kernal Sanders Kernal Sanders is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcclure

you can get it out with a BAH (big-ass hammer) & jacks & jackstands securing the lower arm.
I did that yesterday, i think its easier than figuring out how to set up the dang press kit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using FRF App
__________________
2007 4x4 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ball joint and U-joint servicing? Artemis Suspension Tech 1 08-10-2012 02:04 PM
ball joint failure? jfsjr92 General Tech 5 06-18-2012 06:35 PM
Ball Joint Help Kansas Suspension Tech 6 08-31-2011 06:01 PM
ball joint or u joint problem??? sdhuey Drivetrain Tech 8 08-17-2011 07:24 AM
Upper ball joint help!!! Jfreimark Suspension Tech 7 02-13-2011 06:18 PM