Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM
ToBuyOrToSell ToBuyOrToSell is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Default How to tell if shocks are going bad

I have a 1997 single cab ford ranger that was passed down to me. It has 110,00 miles and I'm not sure if the shocks have ever been changed. While driving on city streets it seems that I am feeling the small bumbs much more than I should. How can I tell if I need to replace the shocks?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,965
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

take one off & then compress it by hand all the way. now watch it decompress.

if it doesn't decompress, it's bad.
if it sounds like sand grinding, it's as good as finished.
if you can see oil leaking, it's bad.
if you can see the piston & there is corrosion/rust on it, it's as good as bad (lol!)
if your ride quality sucks, i'd replace them. especially after 100,000 miles

----------

and welcome to the forum Bob!

----------

oh another thing, if the bushings on the shock are rotted, might as well get some new ones...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
ToBuyOrToSell ToBuyOrToSell is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

I appreciate the help. But I have little knowledge about the truck and how to work on it, and my work situation gives me little free time. What is the best way to check without taking the shocks off?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBuyOrToSell
I have a 1997 single cab ford ranger that was passed down to me. It has 110,00 miles and I'm not sure if the shocks have ever been changed. While driving on city streets it seems that I am feeling the small bumbs much more than I should. How can I tell if I need to replace the shocks?

Thank you
Crawl under the truck abd look at the rear of the leaf springs. There is a hanger attached to the frame abd a shackle that goes from the hanger to the leaf springs. Are the hangers and shackles there? Are they rotted and rusted?

1999, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 145k. (Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FRF App)
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,965
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

slide under the truck with a flashlight and look them over. if they look really really rusty, they probably need to be changed fairly soon, if not already...

they are very very easy to replace. all you need is a socket set (probably metric) i think. and some penetrating oil (pb blaster, etc.), and about 10 minutes per shock! (and the new shocks of course)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
Crawl under the truck abd look at the rear of the leaf springs. There is a hanger attached to the frame abd a shackle that goes from the hanger to the leaf springs. Are the hangers and shackles there? Are they rotted and rusted?

1999, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 145k. (Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FRF App)
beat me to it lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM
ToBuyOrToSell ToBuyOrToSell is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,965
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

post some pics if you can!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcclure
post some pics if you can!
My guess is he is out of his league and got overwhelmed That is understandable. This is not for everyone.

1999, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 145k. (Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FRF App)
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,965
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
My guess is he is out of his league and got overwhelmed That is understandable. This is not for everyone.

1999, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 145k. (Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FRF App)
yeah i suppose so...well shocks would be an excellent starting point for a DIY-er, you know... they're cheap to buy, easy to swap. it's so easy a caveman could do it lol!

(we believe in you bob!)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM
zekew64 zekew64 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 211
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBuyOrToSell View Post
I appreciate the help. But I have little knowledge about the truck and how to work on it, and my work situation gives me little free time. What is the best way to check without taking the shocks off?
Hey, Bob--welcome to FRF!

To answer your question (the quote): It's called the Bounce Test. Basically, go to each corner of your truck and push down. If the truck bounces more than once, you need new shocks. Reason is, the shocks should jounce (compress), rebound (extend), and then the truck should settle.
__________________
Billie, my "sparkly" blue 1992 Ranger
SPECS: 2.3 I4; Rebuilt motor at 194,263 miles; straightened driveshaft when engine was rebuilt

FIRST MODS: 2" suspension lift and rear disc brake conversion
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,965
Default Re: How to tell if shocks are going bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekew64 View Post
Hey, Bob--welcome to FRF!

To answer your question (the quote): It's called the Bounce Test. Basically, go to each corner of your truck and push down. If the truck bounces more than once, you need new shocks. Reason is, the shocks should jounce (compress), rebound (extend), and then the truck should settle.
i knew that, and i didn't post it lol ... i fail sometimes haha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
new 1997 ford ranger, replace, shocks, single cab

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad timing chain cassette/tensioner cause bad gas mileage? xDARKGUITARISTx 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 10 09-18-2012 01:47 PM
Bad throttle body gasket making truck run bad? Brandon587 4-Cylinder Tech 3 08-06-2012 09:26 AM
Will a bad ignition switch make my starter go bad? gliders 3.0 Vulcan Tech 2 01-30-2012 09:59 PM
edge shocks or standard shocks pooleo Drivetrain Tech 2 03-22-2011 11:55 AM
Rear air shocks vs. gas shocks? 94_Ranger Suspension Tech 2 02-16-2009 04:53 PM