Re: How to replce torsion bars
Ok. well i just changed them out today
I wish i took pics but i will give a description of what i did
3/4" socket(for 2 jaw puller)
2 jaw puller
1. Jack the truck up and support w jackstands
.....Make sure there is enough room to fit the 2 jaw puller and impact gun under the truck
2. Remove the 4 1/2" head bolts holding the torsion key "cover".
3. Measure how far the torsion key "adjustment bolt" is sticking out of the "adjusting nut"
4. Remove the torsion bar "adjusting bolt"(1/2")
5. Put 2 jaw puller in resess on torsion key and the jaws on the transmission cross member. Tighten the puller by hand till snug.
6. MAKE SURE JAWS ARE SECURLY ON THE CROSSMEMBER!!!Using impact gun on puller, tighten until you can pull the "adjusting nut" out of the crossmember. Then back off the puller till there is no tension on the key.
7. Once the puller is removed and the bar is hanging loose, just hit the torsion bar with a hammer to drive the bar forward. Once it is knocked loose pull back on it and remove it from the truck(out the back)
8. Remove the key from the old bar and save for later.
9. Slide new bar in (from the rear) until seated in the lower control arm. Now put the key on the new bar.
10. Push bar and key up into position and put the puller on. Tighten puller by hand till snug
11.AGAIN make sure jaws are securely on the crossmember. Then tighten the puller, just enough to slide "adjusting nut" into the crossmember.
12. Release the puller to allow the key to rest on the "adjusting Nut"
13. Thread the "adjusting bolt" into the "adjusting Nut" by hand.
14. using impact gun tighten "adjusting bolt" to your original measurement
15. Reinstall torsion key "cover"
Same on other side
04 Supercab 4dr 4.0 5spd 4x4 EDGE. Daily Driver
96 F350 Crewcab 460 5spd Vortech S/C 4X4 6" 35s
94 Lightning Bassani headers back CAI Underdrive Pulleys
86 F250 Reg Cab 6.9 4Spd 4x4 6" 35s (powerstoke,D60 5spd on the way)
80 F350 Reg Cab 429 C6 4x4 L&L headers F450 rear springs All Out Pulling Truck(D60 Laddered Frame, 540cid coming)
Last edited by DieselBrad; 01-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.