Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Ford Ranger Technical > Suspension Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 89
Default grinding/creaking noise when turning?

another grinding/creaking noise thread!

i noticed the other day that when i reverse and turn i hear the noise come from what sounds like my driver side front tire. it only does it when i am backing up, i can't reproduce the noise when going forward. left or right doesn't seem to matter.

i have also noticed the noise to a lesser degree when going over speed bumps and traveling straight.

i just replaced shocks all around so i doubt it is those, and when i replaced them everything looked good (but i am new to fixing my own truck).

from what i can find on the forum it sounds like it is a possible wheel bearing (i've heard it's easy to replace?). but i ran across another thread and the infamous 'power steering noise' or something was mentioned. any thoughts on where to start looking to get this resolved?
__________________
94 Ranger XLT standard cab, 2WD, manual, 4 banger FTW!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,997
Default

as far as we know you could have 1887 ranger or 2016 ranger
so a sig of your truck would help
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
One piece at a time
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,976
Default

-Is there excessive play in steering?
-Do you hear a high pitch noise when braking or does your truck pull to one side braking and/or non-braking?
__________________
2011 Sport | 4.0 SOHC | Automatic | 4WD | Extended Cab



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 89
Default Re: grinding/creaking noise when turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT View Post
as far as we know you could have 1887 ranger or 2016 ranger
so a sig of your truck would help
um... maybe you can't see my sig? my truck is there. it's a 94 ranger xlt 2wd 2.3L

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdillard77 View Post
-Is there excessive play in steering?
-Do you hear a high pitch noise when braking or does your truck pull to one side braking and/or non-braking?
no and no.

also i turned my wheel without the truck in motion and did not hear the grinding noise. it only happens when i am backing up. i was swerving all over my street this afternoon trying to make the noise happen, and it only occurred when in reverse. my neighbors probably think i'm crazy now
__________________
94 Ranger XLT standard cab, 2WD, manual, 4 banger FTW!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Ford Trucks
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,387
Default

I hear the noise with the same exact description as you do. Only in reverse. I just thought it was normal and have left it alone. Nothing has happened so I won't mess with it.
__________________
1999 XLT 4x4 3.0 Flareside
Off Road package, Towing package, 4.10's, 127k miles
My Build
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarriorhunter View Post
um... maybe you can't see my sig? my truck is there. it's a 94 ranger xlt 2wd 2.3L ---------- no and no. also i turned my wheel without the truck in motion and did not hear the grinding noise. it only happens when i am backing up. i was swerving all over my street this afternoon trying to make the noise happen, and it only occurred when in reverse. my neighbors probably think i'm crazy now
alright gen 3 cool

Since you say it sounds like it's coming from the front jack up the front and grab the wheel at 10 and 2 and see if you can wiggle the wheel there should just be a very Tiny bit of play in it
also when was the last time you had the rotors machined or replaced
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 PM
One piece at a time
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,976
Default

It could be a sign that you need new brake pads or rotors.
__________________
2011 Sport | 4.0 SOHC | Automatic | 4WD | Extended Cab



Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdillard77 View Post
It could be a sign that you need new brake pads or rotors.
This guy knows what's up
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
One piece at a time
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT View Post

This guy knows what's up
__________________
2011 Sport | 4.0 SOHC | Automatic | 4WD | Extended Cab



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 89
Default Re: grinding/creaking noise when turning?

i'll wiggle the wheel. when i replaced the shocks in the wrong in inspected the brake pads and rotors, and they looked good. pads looked almost new, i think they were recently replaced before i got the truck. i'll check them again.

if the wheel has more play that it feels like is that a wheel bearing issue?

and here's an update. i decided to fly off my curb this morning to see what would happen and i got a lock of rocking and a similar grinding noise when my front went down, but not my rear. sounded like it was from both sides. would that be a bearing/pad/rotor issues as well? or is it possible the coil springs are going bad... or something else?

i appreciate all of the feedback, you guys are great!
__________________
94 Ranger XLT standard cab, 2WD, manual, 4 banger FTW!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarriorhunter View Post
i'll wiggle the wheel. when i replaced the shocks in the wrong in inspected the brake pads and rotors, and they looked good. pads looked almost new, i think they were recently replaced before i got the truck. i'll check them again. if the wheel has more play that it feels like is that a wheel bearing issue? and here's an update. i decided to fly off my curb this morning to see what would happen and i got a lock of rocking and a similar grinding noise when my front went down, but not my rear. sounded like it was from both sides. would that be a bearing/pad/rotor issues as well? or is it possible the coil springs are going bad... or something else? i appreciate all of the feedback, you guys are great!
-_-

First off why did you fly off a curb
Second off you didn't answer my question with the rotors
Third of flying off curbs won't help the grinding get better....so don't do it again
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Sweeto Burrito!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,441
Default Re: grinding/creaking noise when turning?

something that wasn't mentioned was ball joints. i know the OP's is a twin beam front suspension & mine is independent fs, but my ball joints sounded a lot like that when they started getting worn out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 89
Default Re: grinding/creaking noise when turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT View Post
-_-

First off why did you fly off a curb
Second off you didn't answer my question with the rotors
Third of flying off curbs won't help the grinding get better....so don't do it again
lol, i didn't fly off a curb, i quickly accelerated while leaving my driveway to see if i hear any noises. i have not had the rotors machined or replaced, but they looked good when i checked the pads, sorry for not answering the question. i can get back under it and look at them tomorrow for confirmation.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberticusMaximus View Post
something that wasn't mentioned was ball joints. i know the OP's is a twin beam front suspension & mine is independent fs, but my ball joints sounded a lot like that when they started getting worn out.
my car is making a popping noise when turning or driving on a bumpy road. i talked to a mechanic this morning about that while dropping off my boss' van for work. he suggested i take a look at the ball joints on the car, i guess i can learn how to check them both.
__________________
94 Ranger XLT standard cab, 2WD, manual, 4 banger FTW!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarriorhunter View Post
lol, i didn't fly off a curb, i quickly accelerated while leaving my driveway to see if i hear any noises. i have not had the rotors machined or replaced, but they looked good when i checked the pads, sorry for not answering the question. i can get back under it and look at them tomorrow for confirmation. ---------- my car is making a popping noise when turning or driving on a bumpy road. i talked to a mechanic this morning about that while dropping off my boss' van for work. he suggested i take a look at the ball joints on the car, i guess i can learn how to check them both.
Rotors maybe warped proly not the issue though bet ya it's bearings
if there grinding don't drive your truck

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberticusMaximus View Post
something that wasn't mentioned was ball joints. i know the OP's is a twin beam front suspension & mine is independent fs, but my ball joints sounded a lot like that when they started getting worn out.
it's grinding aka not ball joints
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Sweeto Burrito!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,441
Default Re: grinding/creaking noise when turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarriorhunter View Post
lol, i didn't fly off a curb, i quickly accelerated while leaving my driveway to see if i hear any noises. i have not had the rotors machined or replaced, but they looked good when i checked the pads, sorry for not answering the question. i can get back under it and look at them tomorrow for confirmation.

----------



my car is making a popping noise when turning or driving on a bumpy road. i talked to a mechanic this morning about that while dropping off my boss' van for work. he suggested i take a look at the ball joints on the car, i guess i can learn how to check them both.
lemme get a video that shows you...

here! lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT View Post
Rotors maybe warped proly not the issue though bet ya it's bearings
if there grinding don't drive your truck

----------



it's grinding aka not ball joints
mine were grinding while turning too
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"grinding" noise from right side whn turning left JFK4525 Wheels and Tires 6 09-30-2013 11:01 AM
Creaking Noise when hitting bump Causey842 General Tech 10 01-18-2013 08:22 PM
Creaking noise zmister11 Wheels and Tires 20 10-03-2012 02:09 PM
Creaking at low speeds, brakes on, turning wheel... asoces General Tech 9 06-12-2011 05:26 AM
creaking noise at low speeds FX4 Mike General Tech 4 11-02-2010 03:09 PM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.