Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
haybo19 haybo19 is offline
terrin' up da woods
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 426
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

a full choke allows the pattern of the shot to be tighter for a longer distance, i would use at least 6 shot... i always go for the head as i eat w/e i shoot so i like to keep the meet good. Plus it's the easiest to get a kill shot for the feathers are quite tough and at a distance the shot could bounce right off.

i suggest learning calls as they can help a ton when spring turkey comes around. it can help you locate the birds and place ur self accordingly. (not to mention it is fun as shit when you are calling right and the gobblers are gobbling)

you can stalk to a point but only to intercept the birds(dont get closer than 100yards stalking,call em in the rest of the way)

and turkeys rely mostly on sight, so noooo sudden movements
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 AM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

my gun, minus the slug set up
http://www.cabelas.com/pump-action-r...combos-3.shtml
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 AM
haybo19 haybo19 is offline
terrin' up da woods
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 426
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

i have a turkey barrel on my shotgun so the full choke is built right into it
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

did u guys sorta forget that im deaF? and couldnt hear them unless they were 20 yards away?
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Nothing but Fords Nothing but Fords is offline
Surrender isn't an option
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,138
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

^ some manufactures put the info right on the barrel (modified) or (full choke)
__________________
2009 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 4 dr 60/40 seat mod,Bedrug,Bushwacker flares,Pioneer USB radio,Lund tonneau cover,bed X-tender,auto headlights,auto dim rear view mirror,OHC,Dual lighted visors,alarm system,power lock tailgate,K&N air filter, 2pc.window visors,EGR bed caps, Westin bug deflector,Air shocks,Aries Brush Guard,ReadyLift Levelling Kit,Goodyear 265/75/16's,Custom console, dash mat,remote start,Heated/signal mirrors KC 151 driving lights backup camera W/7"monitor blind spot cameras
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
haybo19 haybo19 is offline
terrin' up da woods
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 426
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

like how deaf? like cant hear anything at all or
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

hard of hearing, can hear alot but its either faint or unclear. i can hear good enuf i can hear myself typing but i cant hear say......umm....idk my fan running (personal fan) if im not closer than 15 feet from it
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 AM
haybo19 haybo19 is offline
terrin' up da woods
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 426
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

ok.. well you may not be able to hear the birds from a distance, but they are veeerry loud so im sure you would be able to hear em at a few hundred yards... o and another tip, scout the area prior to the season, spend a couple days watching the birds habits
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybo19 View Post
ok.. well you may not be able to hear the birds from a distance, but they are veeerry loud so im sure you would be able to hear em at a few hundred yards... o and another tip, scout the area prior to the season, spend a couple days watching the birds habits
probably not a good idea to hunt in the area prior to turkey season huh? snipe opens 3 weeks before and i thought id go out and see if we had any this year...havnt seen the water lately

----------

ive never hunted or tasted snipe and they might actually be the wrong birds (sandpipers) so i have to check lol

----------

did anyone see this?

my gun, minus the slug set up
http://www.cabelas.com/pump-action-r...combos-3.shtml
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

bump
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM
StxDangerRanger StxDangerRanger is offline
Drinkin' and Wrenchin'
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 152
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

I'll give you a quick guide on how to bag your first turkey.
You have an 870 Express, pretty common shotgun, So you want to pick up one of these, They're the best. I use the Gobble Stopper.
http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4...00?company=TGI
now that you have a Choke tube, lets talk about ammo.
I use a 5 shot. you should know what shoots best in your gun, so buy that brand. (i use Hevi-shot FWIW)

your going to want a turkey call, its damn near impossible to hunt them without one. I would get a Scratch style one, or a box. they're simple and relatively cheap. Then learn about a few different types of calls. (just one or two) and use them.

Now, you've got the proper gun, proper ammo, and a call.
Lets talk about shooting that first turkey. Find out where the Turkey roost at night, your going to want to start your hunt kind of close to that spot. usually Downwind, against a tree. You'll want to wait and see/hear your first couple turkeys, If your going to take any 'ol turkey, then find one that is closet. They may not come in very close at first, i find the best way to deal with that is to follow them until the group stops to eat, then call a few times. that usually draws them in.
Once the turkey is within range, you want to shoot it in the head/neck region. the best spot will be right where the skin meets the feathers. Shoot there. don't miss.
If you hit the turkey anywhere else, he's gonna run and you'll ruin your meat.


Thats how i hunt, i've shot a few Turkey, but i know there are other methods out there. so, just figure out a system that works for you. Now go get a turkey!
__________________
94 STX|4X4|4.10's with 32" BFG's|Dick Cepek Baja Laser 130W|08 F150 Fogs
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
I'll give you a quick guide on how to bag your first turkey.
You have an 870 Express, pretty common shotgun, So you want to pick up one of these, They're the best. I use the Gobble Stopper.
http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4...00?company=TGI
now that you have a Choke tube, lets talk about ammo.
I use a 5 shot. you should know what shoots best in your gun, so buy that brand. (i use Hevi-shot FWIW)

your going to want a turkey call, its damn near impossible to hunt them without one. I would get a Scratch style one, or a box. they're simple and relatively cheap. Then learn about a few different types of calls. (just one or two) and use them.

Now, you've got the proper gun, proper ammo, and a call.
Lets talk about shooting that first turkey. Find out where the Turkey roost at night, your going to want to start your hunt kind of close to that spot. usually Downwind, against a tree. You'll want to wait and see/hear your first couple turkeys, If your going to take any 'ol turkey, then find one that is closet. They may not come in very close at first, i find the best way to deal with that is to follow them until the group stops to eat, then call a few times. that usually draws them in.
Once the turkey is within range, you want to shoot it in the head/neck region. the best spot will be right where the skin meets the feathers. Shoot there. don't miss.
If you hit the turkey anywhere else, he's gonna run and you'll ruin your meat.


Thats how i hunt, i've shot a few Turkey, but i know there are other methods out there. so, just figure out a system that works for you. Now go get a turkey!

so a number 4 steel shot will work just dandy for me? i have no real shortage of steel shots since i attempt to hunt ducks usually but not this year

----------

choke says no steel shot looks like im buying more ammo

i cant even afford a choke, part of why i hunt its my lunch!
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM
StxDangerRanger StxDangerRanger is offline
Drinkin' and Wrenchin'
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 152
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousRanger View Post
so a number 4 steel shot will work just dandy for me? i have no real shortage of steel shots since i attempt to hunt ducks usually but not this year

----------

choke says no steel shot looks like im buying more ammo

i cant even afford a choke, part of why i hunt its my lunch!
Steel shot exerts way more force on the choke than anything else will. I recommend giving the Hevi-load a try.
__________________
94 STX|4X4|4.10's with 32" BFG's|Dick Cepek Baja Laser 130W|08 F150 Fogs
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 PM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
Steel shot exerts way more force on the choke than anything else will. I recommend giving the Hevi-load a try.
okay ill go check them out, i use winchester loads or occasionally remington but because i hunt mostly dove, i use winchester universal 2 1/2 i think is the size below 3 inches

----------

8 shot lol
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
haybo19 haybo19 is offline
terrin' up da woods
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 426
Default Re: ? for turkey hunters!

also if you are calling and the birds are coming, dont over call, if the bird is interested, they will call to locate you and call softer and do more purring when they come in
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any dove hunters out there? HazardousRanger Off Topic 254 09-17-2012 07:48 AM
Craigslist / eBay Find: Desiel hunters 84 2.2 02'4.04x4 Engine & Drivetrain Parts 1 05-10-2011 09:49 AM
Any hunters? southbama man Sports 134 02-26-2011 12:48 PM
hunters mossyoak03 Sports 17 11-02-2010 08:49 AM
who here hunts turkey? blueovelboy Sports 10 03-31-2010 10:04 AM