Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #76  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbama man View Post
Ok, but understand this. I am an ethical hunter. I don't shoot unless it is a mature deer and I'm willing to mount. I don't break the law! I am not some one who grabs a gun goes in the woods and unloads on whatever. I sometimes never pull the trigger in a season. Now, think about this. Can you shoot a deer and be 100% sure it dies on impact? The answer is no. A deer will run and suffer for a minute or an hour or sometimes more, 90% of the time. So, shooting them on a dog drive is no different. I have shot some on dog drives before that hit the ground on impact. A lot of how we hunt isn't fair. Is sitting out of eye level fair to the deer? Is wearing camo fair? Is getting a scope fair? Is using cover scents fair? Are calls or decoys fair? Is using corn or food plots fair? None of that is technically fair or ethical. The deer has a 0% chance. On a dog drive it has a really good chance to live.
its also has very good chance of being wounded and suffering. were also not talking about being fair. if you use that logic hunting with anything besides your bare hands is unfair. ethical hunting is not just shooting mature legal animals, its more so waiting and holding out for the opportunity to take a clean vital shot so the animal dies quickly and doesnt suffer. clearly your definition of ethical is totally different from what the real definition is. i cant believe that shooting a deer on the run that one can hit the vitals in one shot every time. sure the deer might die eventually after being shot in the ass, then the leg, then the guts and then the spine but it will suffer until it does. i dont take the shot unless i know i can cleanly hit the vitals. spraying lead at a running deer may be the way you hunt were youre from but thats not how we do it here, not me at least and i prefer to keep it that way. although i dont agree with some of the rules put in place by the michigan DNR but i do agree with the no dog hunting rule.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner

Last edited by 01_ranger_4x4; 11-18-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Demon-FX4 Demon-FX4 is offline
I'm a Demon, So F off!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,075
Send a message via Skype™ to Demon-FX4
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
it also has very good chance of being wounded and suffering. were also not talking about being fair. if you use that logic hunting with anything besides your bare hands is unfair. ethical hunting is not just shooting mature legal animals, its more so waiting and holding out for the opportunity to take a clean vital shot so the animal dies quickly and doesnt suffer. clearly your definition of ethical is totally different from what the real definition is. i cant believe that shooting a deer on the run that one can hit the vitals in one shot every time. sure the deer might die eventually after being shot in the ass, then the leg, then the guts and then the spine but it will suffer until it does. i dont take the shot unless i know i can cleanly hit the vitals. spraying lead at a running deer may be the way you hunt were youre from but thats not how we do it here, not me at least and i prefer to keep it that way. although i dont agree with some of the rules put in place by the michigan DNR i do agree with the no dog hunting rule.

ugh don't get me started on michigans DNR
__________________
2003 FX4 LEVEL II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 SB FX4 View Post
My D-max - will pull the Cummin' Stroke it all night long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RangerAlfredo View Post
Nooo Demon does badd things to me when no one looks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
Don't worry I next time I will just buy bolt ons so I can be just like you. Then I can drive around with unpainted fender flares and have a real prerunner
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
southbama man southbama man is offline
Roll Tide
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 732
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
it also has very good chance of being wounded and suffering. were also not talking about being fair. if you use that logic hunting with anything besides your bare hands is unfair. ethical hunting is not just shooting mature legal animals, its more so waiting and holding out for the opportunity to take a clean vital shot so the animal dies quickly and doesnt suffer. clearly your definition of ethical is totally different from what the real definition is. i cant believe that shooting a deer on the run that one can hit the vitals in one shot every time. sure the deer might die eventually after being shot in the ass, then the leg, then the guts and then the spine but it will suffer until it does. i dont take the shot unless i know i can cleanly hit the vitals. spraying lead at a running deer may be the way you hunt were youre from but thats not how we do it here, not me at least and i prefer to keep it that way. although i dont agree with some of the rules put in place by the michigan DNR i do agree with the no dog hunting rule.
Thats a valid point, but when sitting in stand you don't always get a clean kill. It's never a sure thing. I have made a many of clean kills. I have also made a lot of ones that ran off. My dad shot one last year that I shot and hit the week before. He shot it and then he found it the next day, 2miles away after he hit it in the shoulder and knocked a piece of shoulder bone out! It was what most people call a perfect shot, but it ran off and lived until it was shot a 3rd time. My point is you can't always get the clean kill.
__________________
20O3 extended cab, 2wd, silver, 3.0, toyo spectrum tires, 10,000k HID's, 8' in bazooka tube, and UWS toolbox

Last edited by southbama man; 11-18-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbama man View Post
Thats a valid point, but when sitting in stand you don't always get a clean kill. It's never a sure thing. I have made a many of clean kills. I have also made a lot of ones that ran off. My dad shot one last year that I shot and hit the week before. He shot it and then he found it the next day, 2miles away after he hit it in the shoulder and knocked a piece of shoulder bone out! It was what most people call a perfect shot, but it ran off and liveduntil it was shot a 3rd time. My point is you can't always get the clean kill.
youre right, bad shots happen to everyone especially with bow but at least the attempt was made to take a clean shot. shit does happen and that just comes with the territory. at least the chance of a clean quick kill is greater with a deer standing still than one running away from you. i guess we can just agree to disagree with the dog hunting thing and get back on topic. sorry for the thread jack.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
southbama man southbama man is offline
Roll Tide
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 732
Default Re: Any hunters?

So, what guns are yall hunting with? I use mainly 2, a sakko 270 (very nice Italian gun) with a kahlees 3x9x50 and a browning 243 super short mag with the same scope. It is a very hard shooting 243. The shell is smaller and fatter to shoot a lot harder than the average 243.
__________________
20O3 extended cab, 2wd, silver, 3.0, toyo spectrum tires, 10,000k HID's, 8' in bazooka tube, and UWS toolbox
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: Any hunters?

Ummm...Sako is from Finland, but you are right that they are nice (and expensive) guns. I've been wanting to get a Tikka T3 which are made in the same factory as Sako with a little bit lower specifications but almost 1/3 the cost.

For rifle I use a Marlin .30-.30 lever action and for bow I use a Bowmaster pro40 dually.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM
trcothorn trcothorn is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 238
Default Re: Any hunters?

its legal to run dogs in my state, never tried it, but would love to. its a tradition to alot of hunters around here.

and i shot a button buck just last wednesday. i honestly thought it was a doe, but it doesnt matter, its legal for me to take 6 deer, bucks or does. im still proud of it being my first deer of the season. i was using an older muzzleloader, first kill with a muzzleloader ever. made a big batch of jerky just today.
__________________
2004 ford ranger 2.3 2wd. flowmaster 40. sony xplode head unit. 30x9.50x15 turbostar ATs. stock jeep wrangler wheels, painted black. ebay taillights. few more cosmetic upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: Any hunters?

Only thing I understand running dogs on is if you are hog hunting.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Demon-FX4 Demon-FX4 is offline
I'm a Demon, So F off!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,075
Send a message via Skype™ to Demon-FX4
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDib View Post
Only thing I understand running dogs on is if you are hog hunting.
yup
__________________
2003 FX4 LEVEL II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 SB FX4 View Post
My D-max - will pull the Cummin' Stroke it all night long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RangerAlfredo View Post
Nooo Demon does badd things to me when no one looks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
Don't worry I next time I will just buy bolt ons so I can be just like you. Then I can drive around with unpainted fender flares and have a real prerunner
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM
TurdFX4 TurdFX4 is offline
Sept. 2011 TOTM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Any hunters?

Bear season starts tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:31 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: Any hunters?

There's bear hunting in PA?
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:31 PM
southbama man southbama man is offline
Roll Tide
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 732
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDib View Post
Ummm...Sako is from Finland, but you are right that they are nice (and expensive) guns. I've been wanting to get a Tikka T3 which are made in the same factory as Sako with a little bit lower specifications but almost 1/3 the cost.

For rifle I use a Marlin .30-.30 lever action and for bow I use a Bowmaster pro40 dually.
IDK why the hell I said Italy lol. Yeah and I got that gun for only $700. It was at a gun show in Mobile,Al.
__________________
20O3 extended cab, 2wd, silver, 3.0, toyo spectrum tires, 10,000k HID's, 8' in bazooka tube, and UWS toolbox
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
TurdFX4 TurdFX4 is offline
Sept. 2011 TOTM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDib View Post
There's bear hunting in PA?
lol yeah? why wouldnt there be? lol

Ok, opinions here guys, Im going to be using my .243 for bear tomorrow, do you think it's enough to knock one down. I do have ballistic top bullets for it. Ive killed deer with .243s before but no bear lol. I always have the option to take one of my dad's .308's. I had a .308 but I had to sell it when I moved to Oklahoma.... look where that got me lol

Last edited by TurdFX4; 11-19-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
southbama man southbama man is offline
Roll Tide
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 732
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcothorn View Post
its legal to run dogs in my state, never tried it, but would love to. its a tradition to alot of hunters around here.

and i shot a button buck just last wednesday. i honestly thought it was a doe, but it doesnt matter, its legal for me to take 6 deer, bucks or does. im still proud of it being my first deer of the season. i was using an older muzzleloader, first kill with a muzzleloader ever. made a big batch of jerky just today.
I shot a button buck one time thinking it was a doe. The nubs hadn't even broke the skin.
__________________
20O3 extended cab, 2wd, silver, 3.0, toyo spectrum tires, 10,000k HID's, 8' in bazooka tube, and UWS toolbox
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:38 PM
MooDib MooDib is offline
FRF Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 505
Default Re: Any hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFX4 View Post
Ok, opinions here guys, Im going to be using my .243 for bear tomorrow, do you think it's enough to knock one down. I do have ballistic top bullets for it. Ive killed deer with .243s before but no bear lol. I always have the option to take one of my dad's .308's. I had a .308 but I had to sell it when I moved to Oklahoma.... look where that got me lol
I would take the .308 for sure. Yeah, you could knock a bear down with a .243, but only if you got off the perfect shot.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
4.0L SOHC V6 Auto 4x4
K&N Performance Air Filter
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bow hunters bigcountry Sports 48 08-19-2011 12:34 AM
Any duck hunters here? this blind is crazy!! dixie_boysles Sports 9 04-25-2010 05:42 PM