Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Heimerl97 Heimerl97 is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 190
Default D30 question

Ok, so I have a 98 ford ranger 4x4...and my question is if I do a D30 and an expo 8.8 swap will they hold up to 37 inch tires for a truck that only sees off-road during hunting season? Or should I go up to a D60 front and a sterling in the rear? Basically F250 axles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3222750058.jpg (97.3 KB, 29 views)
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger xlt supercab 4x4 3.0v6 5spd manual
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Mikerider Mikerider is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,791
Default

37s are pushing it. it could be done depending on how hard you drive it and if you build up the 30 with better joints and shafts.
__________________
Supercharged and DBR long travel 2003 FX4 on 305/70R16 MTRs, Torsen LS FR ECTED RR 4.56 Yukons with cobra brakes, lots of expo parts and other mods

Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...cue-truck.html

Support Search and Rescue ... GET LOST!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:06 AM
96_4x4_XLT 96_4x4_XLT is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimerl97 View Post
Ok, so I have a 98 ford ranger 4x4...and my question is if I do a D30 and an expo 8.8 swap will they hold up to 37 inch tires for a truck that only sees off-road during hunting season? Or should I go up to a D60 front and a sterling in the rear? Basically F250 axles?
8.8 and 44 or at least a 35

30 is a baby axle
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Heimerl97 Heimerl97 is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT View Post
8.8 and 44 or at least a 35 30 is a baby axle
I didn't know the 35 was a solid axle...any idea what vehicle and year would be best to get one off of?? My biggest thing is if I'm going to put a full width axle in the front I have to do the rear as well, and if I'm going to go full width, go big or go home, I'm gonna do 3/4 ton ford axles

I would just prefer not to have to get a new bolt pattern because I just bought new rims for my ranger
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger xlt supercab 4x4 3.0v6 5spd manual

Last edited by Heimerl97; 11-07-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2014, 03:18 PM
96_4x4_XLT 96_4x4_XLT is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimerl97 View Post
I didn't know the 35 was a solid axle...any idea what vehicle and year would be best to get one off of?? My biggest thing is if I'm going to put a full width axle in the front I have to do the rear as well, and if I'm going to go full width, go big or go home, I'm gonna do 3/4 ton ford axles I would just prefer not to have to get a new bolt pattern because I just bought new rims for my ranger
Old jeep Cherokees

if your doing full size axles unless you change the axle shafts your going to have a different bolt pattern

just go with a. D44
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Heimerl97 Heimerl97 is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT View Post
Old jeep Cherokees if your doing full size axles unless you change the axle shafts your going to have a different bolt pattern just go with a. D44
I googled it for over an hour...there is no such thing as a Dana 35 solid axle, at least not that I could find
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger xlt supercab 4x4 3.0v6 5spd manual
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 AM
beef_stew beef_stew is offline
Simple Kind of Man
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,604
Default

I wouldn't go with a D-turdy
__________________
2014 Ford F150 STX Sport 4x4

2006 Ford Ranger Ext cab 4x4 TRADED
1999 Ford Ranger Reg cab 2wd SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Mikerider Mikerider is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimerl97 View Post
I googled it for over an hour...there is no such thing as a Dana 35 solid axle, at least not that I could find
I believe it's a rear axle not a steering axle.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_stew View Post
I wouldn't go with a D-turdy
Nothing wrong with them they are good axles
If you have the right expectations of them. a built 30 on 33-35 in tires will hold up to plenty of abuse.
__________________
Supercharged and DBR long travel 2003 FX4 on 305/70R16 MTRs, Torsen LS FR ECTED RR 4.56 Yukons with cobra brakes, lots of expo parts and other mods

Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...cue-truck.html

Support Search and Rescue ... GET LOST!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2014, 11:59 AM
2004xlmiller 2004xlmiller is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,689
Default Re: D30 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimerl97 View Post
I googled it for over an hour...there is no such thing as a Dana 35 solid axle, at least not that I could find
Uhhh.... tj jeeps came with d35 rear axles..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Heimerl97 Heimerl97 is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 190
Default

Ok clearly I didn't explain enough. There is no FRONT Dana 35 solid axle...and I would prefer to run a Dana 30 front and an explorer 8.8 rear axle. Will those two survive about 6-8" of suspension lift and 37 inch tires on a truck that see well maintained gravel roads about TEN times a year, otherwise she will be a pavement queen for the other 98% of the year....if you guys don't think it can take that, I will upgrade to a full width Dana 60 front, and sterling full width rear.
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger xlt supercab 4x4 3.0v6 5spd manual
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Xx-L1l-M3-xX Xx-L1l-M3-xX is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,522
Default Re: D30 question

Why not just Dana 44 in front and 8.8 im the back? That's a lot simpler than shoving superduty axles under the truck
__________________
2002 ford ranger 4.0 SOHC steppie auto|airbox mod|throttle cable mod|flowmaster super 44 side exhaust|4X4 off road
coming soon:|halo lights| and interior work!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 AM
sole sole is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimerl97 View Post
Ok clearly I didn't explain enough. There is no FRONT Dana 35 solid axle...and I would prefer to run a Dana 30 front and an explorer 8.8 rear axle. Will those two survive about 6-8" of suspension lift and 37 inch tires on a truck that see well maintained gravel roads about TEN times a year, otherwise she will be a pavement queen for the other 98% of the year....if you guys don't think it can take that, I will upgrade to a full width Dana 60 front, and sterling full width rear.
go big or go home!! That's what I'm doing!!
__________________
Black 2008 ranger sport 4.0 SOHC SAS'd and converted to 4x4 riding on a Dana 50 up front and a sterling 10.50 in the rear regeared with 5.13's, mickey thompson classic 3's rapped in 37x12.50 maxxis creepy crawlers
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2014, 09:42 AM
96_4x4_XLT 96_4x4_XLT is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimerl97 View Post
I googled it for over an hour...there is no such thing as a Dana 35 solid axle, at least not that I could find
there is

My friend has one on his jeep
__________________
95 Ranger XLT 4x2 2.3 I4 5 speed 206,000 *dead*
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 5 speed 173,000 *alive*
D35 front, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, limited slip rear diff
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Heimerl97 Heimerl97 is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx-L1l-M3-xX View Post
Why not just Dana 44 in front and 8.8 im the back? That's a lot simpler than shoving superduty axles under the truck
Because a 44 is full width...I'm not gonna have my front tires stick out 10 inches a side and my rear end stock...that would look like a fag mobile

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT View Post
there is My friend has one on his jeep
Google "Dana 35 solid FRONT axle" it doesn't exist...Dana 30 is front, 35 is rear...closest thing is a welded TTB Dana 35 front
__________________
1998 Ford Ranger xlt supercab 4x4 3.0v6 5spd manual
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-09-2014, 01:09 PM
casey.mikl casey.mikl is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,678
Default

I would go with the cherokee front axle. When I plan on doing a sas I'm going with the d30 off a cherokee. I have a cherokee and it takes a massive beating. I snapped 1 axle shaft from it coming off the ground and hitting the ground hard and stopping the tire. If you get the older odd model d30 off the cherokee with the vacuum lock, take it off and install newer shafts. Because the vacuum sucks. Or get the kit to electrically engage it.
__________________
1997 B2300 reg cab 2.3 Lima, 15x8.5 Mickey Thompson classic 2, 31x10.50 cooper discover at3, 7.5 open 4.10 rear, dynomax super turbo catback, alpine iva-w200 w/ nav, kicker 6x8s, alpine type R 8, alpine 250W mono amp, power bass 400.4, tool box & camper shell, compustar alarm/remote start.
1956 Ford F100 rust bucket with big plans!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaf sprung d30 axle swap ranger_ferd Drivetrain Tech 2 10-09-2014 10:59 AM
D30 brakes on sas stranger96 Solid Axle Swap 1 04-14-2014 11:55 AM
97 ranger sas with 91 xj d30 Power_Ranger97 Solid Axle Swap 0 02-20-2014 09:52 PM
D30 for sas whiteranger95 Drivetrain Tech 0 09-22-2013 11:30 PM
02 ranger d30 swap mittimj Solid Axle Swap 2 05-31-2013 07:58 PM