Hi everyone, I'm rebuilding my recently purchased salvage vehicle that I got for close to nothing. I traded a 1988 toyota camry for parts that i needed for the front end, I spent 400$ on new body works(Hood, fenders, doors, bed, bumper, and hitch receiver) that I ended up deciding to use on ranger build #2, But am still budgeting it into the build price of this one.
2000 Ranger xlt
I will update this first post with new pictures and updates as the build progresses, Please be sure to refer back to it as time advances.
6/30: when this is finished I'm letting my girlfriend drive it, so she will be helping me make a few styling decisions.
I'm going to show her all the different year front ends this weekend (4th of july weekend). I'm leaning twords the 03 honeycomb grille and 06 bumper. we will see what comes of it.
she likes bigger trucks, so I'm planning on giving it a 3-6 inch suspension lift, hoping for 33-35 inch tires on 15x10 rims with a low offset(suggestions are welcome for rims/tires/lift)
Day 1: Purchase
Nothing too exciting, it seems like the previous occupant hit something very sharp and hard enough to snap the steering connection off the knuckle and toss the truck on its side.
Day 2: On 4 wheels.
Pulled the bad knuckle and rim off, put a spare(the one off ranger #2 for the time being) pulse vacuum hub on it temporarily just to get it rolling, and put the spare tire on!
Day 3: Let there be light!
I ordered up these corners and turns the day before I paid for the truck in anticipation, if I hadn't ended up getting it they would have gone on #2. to say the least, they got here extreemely fast for being an ebay buy.
Day 4: Fender tastic.
With the way the damage was, the passenger fender would be pinched by the door and it wouldnt open, luckily ranger #2 had a semi good fender with matching flares, so i swapped that on and bingo! it might not be pretty yet but it works!
Day 5: Bumper dumper.
I feel a might bit iffy when my bumper is so close to my tire, so i pulled a junk one out of a pile of parts in the yard and threw it on instead. Again, it aint pretty but its a bit better. if you can see it, the mounting tab on the far drivers side is bent in, I will straighten it out when i get to the final build.
Day 6: Knuckle duster.
Removed the pulse vacuum knuckle and pulled a non vacuum knuckle and axle off a 99 explorer at the yard today, Threw it in and then decided I still need a few things up front there, Need new inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links and lower ball joint, will replace upper too just for kicks.
Day 7: Fun with fiber!
I decided too do the majority of the body work with bondo-glass,(No use wasting a good door!) Did a thick strand solid filler layer then a thin strand ontop of that to fill it out a bit more and give it shape, then will bondo the final layer in the shop before paint.
Day 8: A date with paint!
I went the the DMV when I got off work and got it inspected and got a title, plates and registered it in mine and my girls names. I finished the bondo work that I wanted to get done for now. Will most likely replace the passenger doors before the final build just so theres no bondo on the finished product. I then proceeded to paint the whole truck black for now, and touch up the badges with some color.
TO BE CONTINUED!