I've missed my 1st gen quite a lot over this past year...
so......i got a little project...
i wanted something reliable, but rough around the edges and that had character.
and turn it into something that would make Mad Max and the Duke boys proud.
so about 2 months ago i started searching and about mid-september i found a winner.
a 1985 XLT 4x4 long bed....in black
a true barn find
An old farmer bought it to restore it but health issues put him back and he decided to sell....i made a few phone calls, and a few days later i was there with a trailer....
got her home and went to work...
As you can see....she sat for quite a few years
so the interior has to go
i can't fit in a 1st gen reg cab with the factory bench anyways...lol
OUT WITH IT!
and the vinyl floors
Sitting for long periods of time also does other nasty things....
so instead of draining the tank and rebuilding the carb....i kinda cheated :icon16:
i decided to go old school and Duraspark the beast while i had it apart.
along with replacing the gas tank...
a Duraspark conversion also consists of ripping out ALL of the computer sensors and EGR system.....suck it hippies
most of the parts were readily available (i work for O'reillys)
and my Grandad came through with a motorcraft 2150 carb FRESHLY rebuilt
he just had it "laying around"
Heres the whole computer harness...
gas tank removal
The Duraspark conversion was not very hard at all
especially if you've worked with the components before
i had her gutted and back to running condition within a few days
the timing was the hardest part....especially if you don't have a timing gun
EGR blocking plate...guaranteed to never leak...lol
and since i had the valve covers off.....i thought i'd brighten them up....a lot
With the motor finished and running like a champ...
i moved to the driveline...replacing u-joints is a lot easier with the bed off
next up was a good power washing of the frame....
it looks a lot better than it did....and now it has a nice rubberized undercoating from the front to the rear
the next step was....hard
i had to rob Stig 1.0 of its trademark roll bars....the problem was that i put them in to STAY....so the powertools had to come out
and this is pretty much how she sits now....
to give you a perspective on how hard i've worked and how fast....
i brought her home on Sept. 18th
since then i've:
gutted the interior
swapped fuel tanks
did a full duraspark conversion
ripped out all unnecessary wiring
cleaned here and there
front and rear drive shaft u-joints (haven't done the axle yet)
undercoated the frame
cut out and custom re-installed roll bars
there's a lot left to do and i want to have it done by the end of the month.
i will update as i go from here....