I am being given a 1981 XJ 750 Seca by someone that got it for free, because the original owner dumped it and broke something in the transmission. So far we know the (I think he called it the shift center spring... Its the one at the back of the shifting mechanism) is broken. He is going to look deeper into the transmission just to make sure nothing else got destroyed in the transmission.
As for the rest of the bike, it has some minor road rash, and a couple of broken things. My first focus on it will be to get it street legal, and safe to ride. Then I will focus on making it look pretty.
I will probably need to purchase the following parts used off of eBay, but if someone has them sitting around, and doesn't mind parting with them for cheaper, or even for just the cost of shipping, I would love that. I am EXTREMELY tight on money right now. The only reason I am taking this project on is so I can have some transportation.
Here is the list of parts that I know I need to make it street legal. I need to know what years I can use for them
, and if anyone has them sitting around and is willing to part with them. Normally, even if it was a little more expensive, I would buy from a forum member, but due to my budget (or lack thereof) I will have to get whatever is cheapest including shipping.
- Turn signals (all around would be good, but the only broken ones are left)
- Taillight or Tail cowl with taillight. (Color of cowl does not matter... That's what spray-paint is for)
- Clutch lever
- Possibly need new handlebar switches (I really like the ones darkfibre has for his project)
- Possibly need new handlebars. (although they looked straight when I looked at it today.)
- Possibly need new brake/clutch master cyl, levers etc.
Here is a list of parts that I would like, but are not necessary to make it street legal.
- HID compatible headlight/ driving light housing (I already have a supplier for the HID's)
- LED Turn Signals and taillight (Possibly do this right off the bat if I can figure out a way to fab up my own arms and have it look clean)
- Digital Gauge (Will be looking for recommendations on this.)
- New seat (current one is not worn, just faded as hell)
- New Gas Tank
When I actually have the bike in my possession, I will give it a through look-through and add/ subtract to the list as needed.
Here is a pic of the bike. A LOT more pictures to come. (this thread will probably not be 56k friendly for very long)