Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default rangerluc's SAS

blew my front gears yesterday and have wanted to do the sas for a while now so i thought its the perfect time. i plan on running a d44 or a d30 (whichever i find first) up front with my 8.8 in the rear. gunna use yota 5-6" leafs with the yota steering box. tear down starts tomorrow and will take pics. im going to be asking a lot of questions so quick responses are appreciated!!!
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

lol goodluck brah. sounds like you got yourself alotta reading to do
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
01DangerRanger 01DangerRanger is offline
Custrom User Title Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,104
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

cant wait to c the finished project. hopefully everything goes as planed
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:51 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
lol goodluck brah. sounds like you got yourself alotta reading to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01DangerRanger View Post
cant wait to c the finished project. hopefully everything goes as planed
thanks guys, and yes i have a SHIT load of reading to do. i got the frame prepped and ready to go today. i just need to find myself a d30 and then ill start ordring parts. the only real problem im worried about is the steering setup
rstangboi: steering setup?
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

thought id start a log so i have one place to post up pics. started cutting everything off today and now i have just the d35, the lca's, and the rac to pull out tomorrow. heres the pics of the progress i made today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starting the sas 001.jpg (99.3 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg starting the sas 002.jpg (96.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg starting the sas 003.jpg (93.2 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg starting the sas 004.jpg (94.2 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg starting the sas 005.jpg (97.7 KB, 329 views)
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

as for steering, just get a yota box and mount it as forward as possible. not being body lifted you'll notice youre gunna run into the radiator mount or something that keeps you from going farther forward. i chose not to cut it and because my axles a tad farther forward, the grease nipple on my tie rod hits the lower steering bar-thing lol. so if i were to do it again id bring my axle back an inch but besides that theres not much to it. but it only hits on full stuff, so i just need to bumpstop it before i break the nipple completely off...

and my reccommendations for cutting off the ifs stuff, multiple cuts with the sawzaw. theres little pockets here and there where you can make strategic cuts and it makes things tons faster.

edit, get a dana 44, you'll grow out of the 30 fast i bet and itll leave you with just having to get a new axle...imo
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150

Last edited by rstangboi; 06-22-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
ranger101 ranger101 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Maybe it's just me, but why would you tear everything down like that when you don't even have an axle?
__________________
2002 XLT 4X4
Auto 4.0L SOHC
8.8 w/ 4.10 L/S

Mods: Xcal 2, K&N Drop-In, Line-X, DSG Heads/Corners, 6000k Hi/Low HID's, 6K HID Fogs, Foglight Mod, Throttle Cable Mod, 6.5" Digital Designs, Rockford P400.4, 2 Sundown SA-15's, MB Quart DSC 2000.1d, Cranked T-Bars, 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
as for steering, just get a yota box and mount it as forward as possible. not being body lifted you'll notice youre gunna run into the radiator mount or something that keeps you from going farther forward. i chose not to cut it and because my axles a tad farther forward, the grease nipple on my tie rod hits the lower steering bar-thing lol. so if i were to do it again id bring my axle back an inch but besides that theres not much to it. but it only hits on full stuff, so i just need to bumpstop it before i break the nipple completely off...

and my reccommendations for cutting off the ifs stuff, multiple cuts with the sawzaw. theres little pockets here and there where you can make strategic cuts and it makes things tons faster.

edit, get a dana 44, you'll grow out of the 30 fast i bet and itll leave you with just having to get a new axle...imo

ok ill start looking for the yota box, and thanks for the help!
the only reason im not going to be running a 44 is b/c i want to keep my rear axle and if i get a 44, id have to swap out my rear
also, does this list of parts look about right so far? what other parts did u buy to make ur sas work?

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...rs_p_1336.html
http://www.trail-gear.com/leaf-springs
http://www.trail-gear.com/shock-hoops
http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index...id=1840&zenid=
http://www.trail-gear.com/shackles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger101 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but why would you tear everything down like that when you don't even have an axle?
it does make sense, but my truck isnt going anywhere, and i wanted to get started on it so when i get my axle by the end of the week, i can immedietly start
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends

Last edited by RangerLuc; 06-22-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
ok ill start looking for the yota box, and thanks for the help!
the only reason im not going to be running a 44 is b/c i want to keep my rear axle and if i get a 44, id have to swap out my rear
also, does this list of parts look about right so far? what other parts did u buy to make ur sas work?

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...rs_p_1336.html
http://www.trail-gear.com/leaf-springs
http://www.trail-gear.com/shock-hoops
http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index...id=1840&zenid=
http://www.trail-gear.com/shackles
first of all, you know im running an 8.8 also right? just has wheel adapters on it.

NOW, for the parts you got....are you doing coils or leafs? with the second link you gave me it looks like leafs?

for your fab parts (if your doing leafs) check out diy4x.com, it has a decently priced and adjustable piece you can use with your front hanger and shackles you can buy which are usually cheaper than trailgear shit.

also, you can get sky offroad shock hoops cheaper i think on either sky's website or on poly performance.

with my pitman arm i used a drop pitman arm only because i wanted to use the chevy 1ton tie rod ends already there for me....so you can use the yota sized ones or buy a sky drop pitman arm for about 135?

idk how mechanically inclined you are or if you even have a welder but if you ARE, then check out these sites like diy4x, sky offroad, ballistic fab, poly performance and bluetorchfab. Sit down and look at stuff you NEED, like a hanger, shackle hangers, ubolts, ubolt plates, perches, steering parts, and etc.

like i said, its alot of reading up to do but i did have some help on my sas so ill pass it on to you if your nice

sure, people might say you can do other things, but this is my advice on how you can do it and my advice on where you can save money.

start off with this and ill add more later like some of my parts list and etc.

also, for shocks, i found out that the rear superlift shocks used on a rangers superlift actually fits perfect for the front and rear of my truck after it was sas'ed and theyre only like 28 bucks a piece on 4wheelparts....so something to think about there if you just want something there and dont feel like forkin out for bilsteins...

-Randy
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

shit man thanks for all the info! really appreciate it. ill be lookin at those sites right now and start checkin things out. couple more questions, what wheel adapters did you get?
and im guessing you just pulled that yota box from the jy?
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 AM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
shit man thanks for all the info! really appreciate it. ill be lookin at those sites right now and start checkin things out. couple more questions, what wheel adapters did you get?
and im guessing you just pulled that yota box from the jy?
ya no problem, i mean i know all this stuff so might as well share it right? if you have more questions further on or whatever feel free to ask me. i got a whole list of things ive gotten so far for the truck.

but the adapters....no idea lol, they came with the axles but if you check some vendors on pirate4x4 i bet you can find some decent ones for a nice price if your a member on those forums.

and ya, i just pulled the box from the jy....it was in pristene condition and for 1/4 the price of a rebuilt one....why not?


edit, so are you doing leafs in the front or coils?

-Randy
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 AM
XLT08 XLT08 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 220
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Good luck! Gonna look sick when its finished.
__________________
08 XLT 4.0 V6
Awaiting 3" Body Lift + 33/12.50 MTs
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 AM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
ya no problem, i mean i know all this stuff so might as well share it right? if you have more questions further on or whatever feel free to ask me. i got a whole list of things ive gotten so far for the truck.

but the adapters....no idea lol, they came with the axles but if you check some vendors on pirate4x4 i bet you can find some decent ones for a nice price if your a member on those forums.

and ya, i just pulled the box from the jy....it was in pristene condition and for 1/4 the price of a rebuilt one....why not?


edit, so are you doing leafs in the front or coils?

-Randy
i want to do coils, but dont have the money to get a 3 link setup so im doing leafs for now
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

alright, well that does make it easier.

if you search around pirate4x4 classifieds you might be able to find some rancho 44044 leafs which are waggy 2inch lift leafsprings, or you can get away with finding some waggy front springs from a jy which would be cheap too...

just a popular choice.
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
alright, well that does make it easier.

if you search around pirate4x4 classifieds you might be able to find some rancho 44044 leafs which are waggy 2inch lift leafsprings, or you can get away with finding some waggy front springs from a jy which would be cheap too...

just a popular choice.
im lookin to run 5'' leafs and 35's. im considering these...
http://www.trail-gear.com/leaf-springs
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sas d44? DEBO Solid Axle Swap 5 05-30-2010 08:55 AM
My 83 FullWidth SAS Tbmitchell Solid Axle Swap 3 04-25-2010 02:02 PM
Looking for sas research links frodeezy Solid Axle Swap 1 02-06-2010 10:30 PM
85 SAS questions cheade Solid Axle Swap 3 06-19-2009 05:13 PM