Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
im lookin to run 5'' leafs and 35's. im considering these...
http://www.trail-gear.com/leaf-springs
honestly id utalize (sp?) some kind of used springs because theyre : cheaper, more plentiful, and you can make your own to work best for your application.

the only reason i went with the rancho's i have is because i got both the ranchos and alcans for CHEAP...otherwise i would have done stock waggys in the front and 63's or w.e. in the rear.

the reason i say this is because those leafs might not necessarily sit the way you want and then your out 250bucks vs 70 from pick n pull that if they dont work, you can take em apart and add or take out leafs from another pack or something. thats just my opinion... because that money can be put towards other better parts like your steering or axle parts.
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-24-2010, 05:39 AM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
honestly id utalize (sp?) some kind of used springs because theyre : cheaper, more plentiful, and you can make your own to work best for your application.

the only reason i went with the rancho's i have is because i got both the ranchos and alcans for CHEAP...otherwise i would have done stock waggys in the front and 63's or w.e. in the rear.

the reason i say this is because those leafs might not necessarily sit the way you want and then your out 250bucks vs 70 from pick n pull that if they dont work, you can take em apart and add or take out leafs from another pack or something. thats just my opinion... because that money can be put towards other better parts like your steering or axle parts.
gotcha, ok ill look around for some leafs
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 AM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

having a real fun time trying to get my front driveshaft off, can i just cut this in half seeing in how ill need a new one for the sas?
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

you can but a 12point wrench is all you need if i remember correctly. also jamming a screwdriver in the ujoint area to hold the shaft still helps alot too.
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
you can but a 12point wrench is all you need if i remember correctly. also jamming a screwdriver in the ujoint area to hold the shaft still helps alot too.
ok, and i tried the wrench, drilling them out, and the t27 bit. nothing worked so ill be cutting it off. what kind of drive shaft did u get for your sas?
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
ok, and i tried the wrench, drilling them out, and the t27 bit. nothing worked so ill be cutting it off. what kind of drive shaft did u get for your sas?
lol i guess you have no choice then

i used an explorer shaft....the 1310ujoints fit my dana 44 yoke and the one for my manual tcase perfect.....dunno why i didnt think of that when i was getting my tcase in the first place lol, but it does work. just....doesnt have much slip to it...
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

do i gotta run a different t-case?
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

ya unless you buy either a neapco adapter which is hard to find, or a superlift driveshaft. its because the part where the driveshaft connects on is a tulip shape, not normal, and you need an actual yoke styled deal-io.

here is an example
http://www.ranger forums .com/f37/my...58/index2.html

hence why i say you have alot of reading to do lol.
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-26-2010, 04:57 AM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
ya unless you buy either a neapco adapter which is hard to find, or a superlift driveshaft. its because the part where the driveshaft connects on is a tulip shape, not normal, and you need an actual yoke styled deal-io.

here is an example
http://www.ranger forums .com/f37/my...58/index2.html

hence why i say you have alot of reading to do lol.
damn didnt know that lol. but the link didnt work...
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:46 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

will these leafs work for me?
http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c...source=Froogle
and these for the rears...
http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.asp...4&scid=FROOGLE
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends

Last edited by RangerLuc; 06-26-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
alright, i guess ill stop posting ranger forum thread links on here lol
but ill try and find a pic for ya, they are different though.

also, if you run those chevy lift ones in the front......you'll have NO flex. think of how heavy those trucks are compared to ours....usually people with rangers run waggys or yota lift packs....not fullsize vehicles really...

and yes, the ones for the rear will work fine, but the leafs you buy dont have to be of equal "lift" because your front will be as high as your shackles and hanger are mounted, so remeber that...my leafs are like 2inch lift waggys and 6inch lift alcans.....and the 6inches still isnt enought lift.
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-26-2010, 10:19 PM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
alright, i guess ill stop posting ranger forum thread links on here lol
but ill try and find a pic for ya, they are different though.

also, if you run those chevy lift ones in the front......you'll have NO flex. think of how heavy those trucks are compared to ours....usually people with rangers run waggys or yota lift packs....not fullsize vehicles really...

and yes, the ones for the rear will work fine, but the leafs you buy dont have to be of equal "lift" because your front will be as high as your shackles and hanger are mounted, so remeber that...my leafs are like 2inch lift waggys and 6inch lift alcans.....and the 6inches still isnt enought lift.
ya thats what i figured when i saw it had like 8 leafs in it. so would those trail gear leafs work then? i was going to ask how similiar the lift in the front and rear leafs had to be, but you beat me to it. also, what t-case did u use?
found these...
http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.asp...0&scid=FROOGLE
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends

Last edited by RangerLuc; 06-26-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
ya thats what i figured when i saw it had like 8 leafs in it. so would those trail gear leafs work then? i was going to ask how similiar the lift in the front and rear leafs had to be, but you beat me to it. also, what t-case did u use?
found these...
http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.asp...0&scid=FROOGLE
ok, not to diss this forum or anything but if you browse ranger-forums, theres a whole section of sas buildups that would help you alot and answer alot of your questions...not that im tired of answering your questions, but it'd teach you alot.

anyways, yes the trailgear ones would work but i dont thing you understand what im saying about buying used leafs....

tcase is a 1354m that im using out of an explorer, first gen
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150

Last edited by rstangboi; 06-27-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 AM
RangerLuc RangerLuc is offline
yup
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,407
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstangboi View Post
ok, not to diss this forum or anything but if you browse ranger-forums, theres a whole section of sas buildups that would help you alot and answer alot of your questions...not that im tired of answering your questions, but it'd teach you alot.

anyways, yes the trailgear ones would work but i dont thing you understand what im saying about buying used leafs....

tcase is a 1354m that im using out of an explorer, first gen
ya ive been reading those non stop lol, i just cant find some of the things that im looking for, so i just ask.
and i understand what your saying about used leafs, but wouldnt getting used 1/2 ton leafs not be very flexy?
and you just pulled the t-case out of the jy?
thanks again for all the help and answers!
__________________
2001 XLT 4x4 V6 4.0L auto
SAS'd D44 and 8.8. dual lockers, 38s, 12 bolt h1's, some other odds and ends
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-27-2010, 03:50 PM
rstangboi rstangboi is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: rangerluc's SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLuc View Post
ya ive been reading those non stop lol, i just cant find some of the things that im looking for, so i just ask.
and i understand what your saying about used leafs, but wouldnt getting used 1/2 ton leafs not be very flexy?
and you just pulled the t-case out of the jy?
thanks again for all the help and answers!
used half ton leafs are VERY flexy....for example 63's which are commonly used also, with the overload usually pulled out.

the leafs you pointed out would be even stiffer than used half ton leafs...

and yes, any first gen explorer with a manual tcase works, otherwise im not sure about the electric case compatibility with our trucks...
__________________
Current : 04 F250 6.0 - 03 Mazda B2300 - 01 Stepside : 3.slow, SAS'ed, 35's, locked, cased, d44 and d60

Sold : 98 Mazda B2500 - 01 Explorer Sport - 98 Ranger - 05 F150
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sas d44? DEBO Solid Axle Swap 5 05-30-2010 08:55 AM
My 83 FullWidth SAS Tbmitchell Solid Axle Swap 3 04-25-2010 02:02 PM
Looking for sas research links frodeezy Solid Axle Swap 1 02-06-2010 10:30 PM
85 SAS questions cheade Solid Axle Swap 3 06-19-2009 05:13 PM