Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #136  
Old 08-07-2017, 05:18 PM
MaDMaXX MaDMaXX is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 278
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

I liked the grille it had on before, but going back to the original does look nicer IMO.

Just wish mine was that colour, looks like i've got some work to do, right now i'm really tempted to attempt my first plasti dipping just for ease of prep/working, was it hard to remove?

Also, how much stuff you have "spare" now after all this work?
__________________
2002 V6 3.0 Ranger Edge 2WD

Repairs/Upgrades/New Stuff Log
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,578
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX View Post
I liked the grille it had on before, but going back to the original does look nicer IMO.

Just wish mine was that colour, looks like i've got some work to do, right now i'm really tempted to attempt my first plasti dipping just for ease of prep/working, was it hard to remove?

Also, how much stuff you have "spare" now after all this work?
I've always been a fan of OEM equipment, and as much work as I put into the old grill to try and make it look nice, it never met my standards. I'll send it to whoever wants it free, they just pay shipping.

I'm really shocked I found a still black one. It was on a 2003 with 233k miles on it, so it's not like it stayed out of the sun, yet it hasn't been painted.

As for removing it, you have to have a lot of patience, if I remember right there are 9 plastic clips that I used 2 small screwdrivers to pop off. Took about 2 hours (really did not want to break anything and had some good music going) the frame (body color part) is pretty thin and cracks very easily so you really have to be careful of that.

I have 2 shelves of stuff in my garage filled with parts (check out my for sale thread "Cleaning out the garage") That I am trying to sell, if you are looking for something let me know, I have ordinary and rare parts (I actually have 3 sets of Level 2 tow hooks right now) and everything can be sold if you want it

Today the guy that bought my spare set of leaf springs asked if I had a rear axle as well. He had an axle, leaf springs, a drum brake kit, and a few other things loaded into his truck and gone in less than a minute. He even gave me exactly what I wanted to sell the axle for and I hadn't even gotten around to listing it yet.
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 08-07-2017, 06:03 PM
kgo5xd kgo5xd is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 120
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
As for removing it, you have to have a lot of patience, if I remember right there are 9 plastic clips that I used 2 small screwdrivers to pop off. Took about 2 hours (really did not want to break anything and had some good music going) the frame (body color part) is pretty thin and cracks very easily so you really have to be careful of that.

I found it very easy to pop the grill out if you heat the clips up for about 5-10 seconds with a heat gun. Just takes a few minutes and no damage.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, ext. cab, Stepside, Auto, 4.0L v6
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 08-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,578
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgo5xd View Post
I found it very easy to pop the grill out if you heat the clips up for about 5-10 seconds with a heat gun. Just takes a few minutes and no damage.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about that but I didn't because

1. I was worried the heat may warp the plastic

2. I didn't want to look for a heat gun or a hairdryer

Thank you for that info though!
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 08-07-2017, 06:20 PM
kgo5xd kgo5xd is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 120
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
I thought about that but I didn't because

1. I was worried the heat may warp the plastic

2. I didn't want to look for a heat gun or a hairdryer

Thank you for that info though!


I totally get that. I too was concerned about melting but you just got to be careful and not heat it too long. I would put the heat on a few seconds and test the malleability of the plastic and if it didn't come out I'd heat it some more. I simply couldn't get a single clip out otherwise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, ext. cab, Stepside, Auto, 4.0L v6
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 08-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,578
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgo5xd View Post
I totally get that. I too was concerned about melting but you just got to be careful and not heat it too long. I would put the heat on a few seconds and test the malleability of the plastic and if it didn't come out I'd heat it some more. I simply couldn't get a single clip out otherwise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha I could, it just took me a few hours to do it! Oh, and steady hands!
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 PM
johnday johnday is offline
Useless olde guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,226
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
Y'all ready for this? The first picture of ME in my build thread!

Your dog looks like a real sweetie. I see if we ever meet, I hope I have some zipties with me. I need someone like you that can actually get in there to do the throttle cable mod!
__________________
'04 Edge, Scab/flareside, 2wd, 3.0, 5 speed, 4:10 open. Billet grille, Raceline Raptor black wheels, 265/75/16 DuraTracs. Tbar crank, AAL. Fox shocks, Thrush welded SI/DO swept back side exit. Morimoto projectors, '06 tails and power mirrors. LEDs all the way around. Blacked out fender badge. Access Limited rollup tonneau. 5% tint on back three windows. Airbox mod, FWIW. And a Border Collie that likes it too!!
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 08-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,578
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
Your dog looks like a real sweetie. I see if we ever meet, I hope I have some zipties with me. I need someone like you that can actually get in there to do the throttle cable mod!
She really is, always wants to be everyone's friend and wouldnt hurt anyone.

Haha, I could do it, but it still isn't the easiest for me
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,578
Default Re: Caitlin: the '03 EDGE

Just installed a FX4 skid plate... Black factory interior, cruise control, and power doors to follow eventually.
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craigslist / eBay Find: Another beutiful Edge (01 xlt Edge) - "LMAO" - St. Louis Ranger_Up Trucks 3 12-15-2013 07:50 AM
Craigslist / eBay Find: Best looking 01 EDGE ever !! So. IL Ranger_Up Trucks 37 12-11-2013 03:29 PM
Caitlin-04 ranger edge RangerEdge2004 Introduce Yourself 10 02-18-2012 03:51 AM
Ford Edge not Ford Ranger Edge OhioMike Off Topic 0 11-05-2011 09:40 PM
took the Edge to the edge azgilamonster Vehicle Snapshots 8 09-14-2010 02:25 PM