Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   baby car seat (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/99598-baby-car-seat.html)

gcextreme 09-20-2013 03:10 PM

baby car seat

Ok probably a stupid question...but does anyone here have a baby seat in their ranger?
I know they say its not safe...but right now as i type this i am at walmart watching this hispanic woman put her little baby in the front seat in a car seat in a pretty new chevy corvette!!!
Thats gotta be way more unsafe than in a ranger!!!??

bigfisher 09-20-2013 03:13 PM

I've seen a baby seat in a ranger. As long as its not a rear facing seat it should be fine

Sent from my iPhone 5 so I can tell you to search wherever I may be

JLDANGER RANGER 09-20-2013 03:14 PM

Re: baby car seat

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcextreme (Post 1697318)
Ok probably a stupid question...but does anyone here have a baby seat in their ranger?
I know they say its not safe...but right now as i type this i am at walmart watching this hispanic woman put her little baby in the front seat in a car seat in a pretty new chevy corvette!!!
Thats gotta be way more unsafe than in a ranger!!!??

I've put one in mine for my baby sister. But the only place I take her like that is to her school and back home. Not even 5 miles total.

JZ1973 09-20-2013 03:26 PM

Infant seat? Not legal in Va. As a nurse, my wife has seen the results of not obeying the law pertaining to car seats, trust me, its not worth it. What mistakes others do, is there mistakes, best thing you can do is not repeat them. Saying its safer in a ranger than a Corvette is like the old saying....pot calling the kettle black.... Same difference.

DanielThornburg 09-20-2013 03:27 PM

It's not completely unsafe to have a child rear-facing in the front seat as long as the airbag is disabled.

Having said that, I have a 2.5 year old daughter and she has never been in my truck, but I've seen people do it.

JZ1973 09-20-2013 03:36 PM

In Va, its illegal to have the infant seat in the front of any airbag equipped vehicle, the airing does more harm than good to an infant seat. I have five kids and thanks to my wife am well versed in car safety seats.

Mike In Bama 09-20-2013 03:38 PM

I have an unfortunate fact to tell you. Sit down. Take a deep breath. Good.

It is not against the law to be an idiot!

If it were, 1% of the population would be feeding and housing the 99% that are an idiot. It's frustrating, but what do you do?

2005 2.3L XL Electronics Tech since '70's

JZ1973 09-20-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike In Bama (Post 1697369)
I have an unfortunate fact to tell you. Sit down. Take a deep breath. Good.

It is not against the law to be an idiot!

If it were, 1% of the population would be feeding and housing the 99% that are an idiot. It's frustrating, but what do you do?

2005 2.3L XL Electronics Tech since '70's

LOL amen.

AmericanPride! 09-20-2013 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put my baby in there when I absolutely had to, but I turned the airbag off.

Now he rides in this facing forward...again, airbag off and when I don't have other options

And BTW...wouldn't that vet have weight sensors anyway?

OhioMike 09-20-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielThornburg (Post 1697354)
It's not completely unsafe to have a child rear-facing in the front seat as long as the airbag is disabled.

Having said that, I have a 2.5 year old daughter and she has never been in my truck, but I've seen people do it.

My son is a toddler (4 years old), and we have a forward facing booster like seat in the front passenger seat of my Ranger. I believe in Ohio that the only car seats allowed in the front seat are the booster seats. With the booster seat, he can use the regular seat belt to restrain him.

gcextreme 09-20-2013 04:47 PM

Im just saying that if a ranger isnt a baby friendly vehicle...theres no way a corvette is.

OhioMike 09-20-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcextreme (Post 1697530)
Im just saying that if a ranger isnt a baby friendly vehicle...theres no way a corvette is.

What is 'perfectly safe'? No one knows when, if, and how bad an accident will be. Granite certain vehicles 'may be safer', but it is what it is. I would believe that the law for child seats is pretty universal across states, and that is, if the child can face forward, then booster-type seats are O.K. in the front as long as there is no back seat, such as in a pick-up or sports car. And, I would never place a rear facing car seat in the front seat under any circumstances, regardless if airbags can be turned-off or not. Yes, there is a sensor, however, babies are precious cargo, and they belong in the back seat.

pooleo 09-20-2013 06:26 PM

meh, I have used rear facing and forward facing.