Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Vehicle Snapshots (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/vehicle-snapshots/)
-   -   Steeda cold air intake, so easy a 12 year old can do it. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/vehicle-snapshots/9898-steeda-cold-air-intake-easy-12-a.html)

jred 03-21-2010 05:00 PM

Steeda cold air intake, so easy a 12 year old can do it.

5 Attachment(s)
My 12 year old son just installed a Steeda cold air intake in my 2005 Focus. I have to say I am impressed with the quality of this system. It was very easy to install and the horsepower increase is noticeable. I wish Steeda would sell parts for Rangers but for now they only cover the Focus, Fusion, and Mustang. I thought I would throw up some pictures of the install. Enjoy!

Jp7 03-21-2010 05:05 PM

Re: Steeda cold air intake, so easy a 12 year old can do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jred (Post 93871)
...the horsepower increase is noticeable.

lol

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rbojp7/cai.jpg

jred 03-21-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 93874)

Not a noob. Been doing this stuff for 25 years. It's all about more cold air in and more hot air out.:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::D

Jp7 03-21-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jred (Post 93887)
Not a noob. Been doing this stuff for 25 years. It's all about more cold air in and more hot air out.:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::D

maybe 25 years ago when the intake was a restriction sitting on top sucking hot air in, but your cylinder head is the restriction now...

jred 03-21-2010 05:44 PM

Yeah I'd be a prick if I was stuck in a Mitsubishi too.

Jp7 03-21-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jred (Post 93909)
Yeah I'd be a prick if I was stuck in a Mitsubishi too.

good comeback, too bad i make more power to the wheels from only 1 cylinder than you do at the crank with all 4...

jred 03-21-2010 06:01 PM

Yeah too bad. But I didn't buy my Ranger or my Focus for horsepower. That's why I have a 69 Chevelle and a 63 Dart. All I said is that there is a notable difference in the horsepower after installing the cold air intake, which there is. You feel like you need to try to run someone down because you have a demotivational picture that you found on the internet. If you have real proof that cold air intakes don't add horsepower post it up. Until then SHUT THE F**K UP.

Jp7 03-21-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

That's why I have a 69 Chevelle and a 63 Dart.
I can see where your confusion comes from..
Quote:

All I said is that there is a notable difference in the horsepower after installing the cold air intake, which there is.
Then your stock filter was full of debris, or this filter requires a MAF rescale (which I doubt you've done) making it run leaner than safe in open loop.

As far as your sensitive "feel"I barely noticed a difference in my pants after gaining ~85whp on a dynodynamics going from my stock snail to the fp-red I put in.

Quote:

You feel like you need to try to run someone down because you have a demotivational picture that you found on the internet.
Actually, I made that myself due to mass confusion on this forum and many others..

Quote:

If you have real proof that cold air intakes don't add horsepower post it up. Until then SHUT THE F**K UP.
well, you asked (from frf itself)

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/6-cyl...uck-4-0-a.html
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Dynosheet.jpg

Also might I add that on the hundreds (near thousand?) of turbo cars, and NA I've tuned, it makes little (if not worse) power on a mustang dyno, for which I use weekly. Port the heads and add a set of big cams then maybe. Add boost on a stock N/A car then for sure.

Not to mention I think ford has the engineering know how to make a little component such as a filter, that will not restrict the entire system and lose efficiency.

Quote:

It's all about more cold air in and more hot air out
"more hot air out" means the timing is too far back, or the mixture is lean - both bad for power.

FireRanger 03-21-2010 06:49 PM

Sorry dude, your alleged cold air intake has done NOTHING to boost horsepower or improve anything at all. They do not do shit and they are a total gimmick. The mere fact that you think you felt a difference would seem to disprove your "25 years of experience". Since anyone that ACTUALLY knows anything about performance enhancements knows that most are not noticeable to the driver, only on a computer or a clock.

You should have your 12yr old uninstall it, pack it up, and send it back for a refund. Use the money you saved to buy ice cream or something.

And BTW, the stock intake on our trucks is already a cold air intake and is already sized in excess of what the engine will ever actually need. Sorry.

Jp7 03-21-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 93944)
Sorry dude, your alleged cold air intake has done NOTHING to boost horsepower or improve anything at all. They do not do shit and they are a total gimmick. The mere fact that you think you felt a difference would seem to disprove your "25 years of experience". Since anyone that ACTUALLY knows anything about performance enhancements knows that most are not noticeable to the driver, only on a computer or a clock.

You should have your 12yr old uninstall it, pack it up, and send it back for a refund. Use the money you saved to buy ice cream or something.

And BTW, the stock intake on our trucks is already a cold air intake and is already sized in excess of what the engine will ever actually need. Sorry.

If "cold air" really made that much difference we would see threads like "OMG why is my truck so much more powerful in the winter compared to the summer" and such..

FireRanger 03-21-2010 07:03 PM

Yeah seriously. And you know what else is annoying. Its not cold. Its not like the air is being refrigerated. It is FRESH AIR we want to suck into the engine. The intake air will never be colder than the outside air temperature. So even calling them COLD air intakes is dumb.

Johnbaum13 03-21-2010 07:04 PM

Well, guys, way to shit on a guys enjoyable afternoon wrenching with his son. Weather or not the intake makes more power, he likes it, and he bonded with his son.

You guys need to realize that there are better ways to feel better about yourselves than by shitting on others.

FireRanger 03-21-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 (Post 93963)
Well, guys, way to shit on a guys enjoyable afternoon wrenching with his son. Weather or not the intake makes more power, he likes it, and he bonded with his son.

You guys need to realize that there are better ways to feel better about yourselves than by shitting on others.

The OP was the first to throw punches so I don't think JP7 or anyone has anything to be sorry for.

Jp7 03-21-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 (Post 93963)

its all about being factual, logical, and data driven

IE here:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cyl...ir-intake.html

jred 03-21-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 93944)

I didn't say it was on my truck. Does the picture look like a 95 ranger? The original intake system on the 2005 focus is also a "cold air" intake. That means that the air is pulled in from outside of the engine compartment. Just like the intake on any car with a hood scoop (Evo). The intake is called a cold air intake by Steeda, but it is in actuality a short ram intake. The idea is to pull in more air. The original intake was an air box meant to last the life of the car (actually 100,000 miles). I didn't replace the intake to "build horsepower" I replaced it because the air box was used up. There is a noticable increase in power. Whether that is due to the intake being better or due to the fact that there was restriction in the air box, there is a difference. I posted the pics because I was proud of my son for tackling a mechanical process. If you can't appreciate that you are a sad excuse for a human being. I did not throw the first punches I simply reacted to a posting calling me stupid. As to cold air and whether or not it produces horsepower if there were no benefit to it why is every car currently built including your Evo using a cold air intake? The theory is sound. Cold air is more dense, which means there is more oxygen in the air fuel mix causing better and more complete combustion. If the theory was bad then turbo's and nitrous would not work. I know that this is no where near nitrous but the base theory is the same. I really don't care how badass your rice burner is and I really don't care if you think that you are somehow more of a man because you drive it.