Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (
-   -   12V to 24V Engine Swap (HELP) (

fordranger98 03-17-2010 08:29 PM

12V to 24V Engine Swap (HELP)
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger FWD 3.0L V6 12-Valve Engine. Would I be able to replace my current engine with a 1998 Ford Taurus FWD 3.0L V6 24-Valve Engine? If so, what other parts would I need to replace?

I would appreciate your help!

bigcountry 03-17-2010 10:22 PM

Re: 12V to 24V Engine Swap (HELP)
if im not mistaken a taurus motor is transvers so no you cant swap

DHEM 03-18-2010 02:53 AM

your talking about the duratec swap, people have talked about it, you'll need to do tons of custom wiring, custom motor mounts, rad, air intake, and exhaust headers too. Plus im very sure that their is no rwd transmission for the duratec, so you'll have to try making a adapter plate to hook up the engine to your ranger transmission. Nobody has done it either, too much work, not worth it. a 4.0 swap, or 5.0 swap would be much better really.

Psychopete 03-19-2010 09:55 AM

It's definitely confusing with all of the options. I would look at a Lincoln LS, but it really looks like you have a lot of research to do as far as what transmission will work. Not going to be easy or cheap, and the outcome isn't going to be that great for the amount of work involved. What you'd need to replace is essentially the engine, drive train (inc drive shaft), possibly some fuel system components, exhaust, emissions systems, engine management/main harness, and a lot wiring. Including all of the fabrication.. The engines are nothing a like you're looking at an entire swap.