Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Broken bolt egr valve (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/95842-broken-bolt-egr-valve.html)

01RANGERSTL 07-21-2013 09:12 AM

Broken bolt egr valve

So i was changing the egr valve and the head broke of the bolt. I don't seem to have enough acces to get my right angle drille in there with enough pressure to use screw extractor. Any ideas? I can get pictures if needed.

96_4x4_XLT 07-21-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01RANGERSTL (Post 1561404)
So i was changing the egr valve and the head broke of the bolt. I don't seem to have enough acces to get my right angle drille in there with enough pressure to use screw extractor. Any ideas? I can get pictures if needed.

it's gotta come out
remove stuff to get it out

rangerlocal 07-21-2013 11:06 AM

Re: Broken bolt egr valve

If the head broke off, try to grind it flush with the valve. Get the other bolt out and slide the EGR off. Then you can get the remaining stud out.

You've only got one chance to get this other one out, so my advice: Soak with PBlaster multiple times a day for several days. Heat with torch, spray with PBlaster. You can also try FreezeOut, sometimes it works well.

If all else fails, start getting things out of the way. You're going to have to drill that sucker out! I wouldn't try using a screw extractor on exhaust related bolts; they are brittle hardened steel, and if you snap one off in it, you won't be able to drill it out.

01RANGERSTL 07-21-2013 12:41 PM

thanks i undid the other one and came off. dont know why i didn't thinki to do that last night. i sprayed w40 on bottom pipe. Which i'm assuming that just unscrews?

rangerlocal 07-21-2013 05:04 PM

Glad that worked. Yes, it just screws out. Grab the vise grips!

thatranger 07-22-2013 11:06 AM

To remove studs or broken bolts, you can use the two nut method. Put the first nut on backwards, then follow it with the second nut (forward/normal) tighten them two together on the stud/bolt, then you can wrench out the bolt, using the first backward nut.

Yes, you will have to go to lowes or whereever, and buy two nuts that fit the stud/bolt.

If you have any confusion, you should be able to google this and get more infomation.

LI Ranger 00 07-25-2013 09:09 PM

Literally had the same shit happen to me... Unfortunately... I had to have it extracted from a machine shop. $30 later a new helicoil was put in and they were able to save the same thread size. Lets just say i put anti seize on it because the people i called mechanics sure as hell didnt when they ripped apart my entire motor to do the heads... Long story short... Be prepared for those to break.

----------

Best thing is it literally happened a 2 weeks ago.. Haha. Moral of the story is, it may be easier to take it to a machine shop. DO NOT USE AN EASY OUT! Machine shops frown on that stuff and its a pain in the ass to get out if they break..

ejewell89 11-09-2013 03:49 PM

Hey all, I've been off here a while but have recently been stumped by some work.

I'm trying to change my intake manifold gasket but got sidetracked. Long story short I stripped one of the bolts for the EGR valve and cant get it out.

Part two is I need to disconnect the EGR down pipe from the manifold but cant figure out how. Some direction would be super awesome.

I'm runnin 98 ranger 4.0L 6cyl btw.