Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   91 4.0 cold air intake help (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/93791-91-4-0-cold-air-intake-help.html)

jaacobmcc 06-17-2013 04:43 PM

91 4.0 cold air intake help

Hello I have a 91 ford ranger 4.0 i don't know if its och or sohc. But I want to put a cold air intake on it. Not spend 10000000 dollars (example) on a k&n cold air. I was thinking about, (excuse my language and no offense to anyone. This is just the way I know how to put it) Niger rig it. Because the Normal air intake goes through a small hole behind the light to big back to small acouple turns then into the air take. I was wondering if I can delete the box and just running something behind the grill to where it will bet better air flow. Not deleting the mass airflow sensor tho. Please help and once again my apologies for my bad language.

New to the fourm. It's my second post!(:

Thanks guys.

1991fordranger 06-17-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaacobmcc (Post 1499816)
Hello I have a 91 ford ranger 4.0 i don't know if its och or sohc. But I want to put a cold air intake on it. Not spend 10000000 dollars (example) on a k&n cold air. I was thinking about, (excuse my language and no offense to anyone. This is just the way I know how to put it) Niger rig it. Because the Normal air intake goes through a small hole behind the light to big back to small acouple turns then into the air take. I was wondering if I can delete the box and just running something behind the grill to where it will bet better air flow. Not deleting the mass airflow sensor tho. Please help and once again my apologies for my bad language.

New to the fourm. It's my second post!(:

Thanks guys.

no. just no

jaacobmcc 06-17-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1991fordranger (Post 1499872)

no. just no

What?

Ordinary Biker 06-17-2013 06:01 PM

Re: 91 4.0 cold air intake help

Don't waste your money on a CAI.

jaacobmcc 06-17-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker (Post 1499885)
Don't waste your money on a CAI.

I'm not I'm trying to get ideas on something like a cai. My girlfriends dad has a 87 gmc v6 and he took the plastic tubes 6 inch and put them to a hole next to the light and he gets better airflow more hp and better gas milage

96_4x4_XLT 06-17-2013 06:28 PM

get ram air CAI aren't cold air they suck in hot air from the engine compartment
CAI are over priced and don't work

FYI you have a OHV 4.0
might want to know more about your engine before modding it

sent from my iPhone 5....PSH!!! I don't have money for a iPhone 5

jaacobmcc 06-17-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT (Post 1499930)
get ram air CAI aren't cold air they suck in hot air from the engine compartment
CAI are over priced and don't work

FYI you have a OHV 4.0
might want to know more about your engine before modding it

What's the difference between ovh and sohc?

96_4x4_XLT 06-17-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaacobmcc (Post 1499943)

What's the difference between ovh and sohc?

Where the cams are at in the engines
OHV has it's cam in the bottom SOHC has the cam up top hence the single over head cam

jaacobmcc 06-17-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT (Post 1500005)

Where the cams are at in the engines
OHV has it's cam in the bottom SOHC has the cam up top hence the single over head cam

Oh Im picking up what your stepping on. So what's a good CAI?

96_4x4_XLT 06-17-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaacobmcc (Post 1500016)

Oh Im picking up what your stepping on. So what's a good CAI?

There is no good CAI
Get a bigger air box with ram air intake

But really just leave your intake alone unless you redo the whole intake you won't really gain anything it's just a waste of money

jaacobmcc 06-17-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96_4x4_XLT (Post 1500045)

There is no good CAI
Get a bigger air box with ram air intake

But really just leave your intake alone unless you redo the whole intake you won't really gain anything it's just a waste of money

Well thanks for being not being a ass your very helpful. Thanks!

cowboybilly9mile 06-17-2013 07:25 PM

Re: 91 4.0 cold air intake help

Your vehicle was build with a cold air intake, what you are describing as a change is a warm air intake. They seem to have been created for consumption by children that don't understand the benefits of what they have (CAI) VS the warm air intake. Oh, if you do goof around with it and put some warm air intake in there, the correct phrase for this is "the presidential solution" and no longer n*gger rigged. Gotta love this New America and making sure everyone feels good and all that retarded crap, lol.

1991fordranger 06-17-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile (Post 1500094)
Your vehicle was build with a cold air intake, what you are describing as a change is a warm air intake. They seem to have been created for consumption by children that don't understand the benefits of what they have (CAI) VS the warm air intake. Oh, if you do goof around with it and put some warm air intake in there, the correct phrase for this is "the presidential solution" and no longer n*gger rigged. Gotta love this New America and making sure everyone feels good and all that retarded crap, lol.

hahahahaha presidential solution

jaacobmcc 06-17-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile (Post 1500094)

There we go lol I like the new phrase. I didn't know how to word it different lol but I don't want to just take the box out and put a come filter on it I want to run the tube to the grill instead of the 2 inch tube and switch it to a 4 or 6 inch tube because the tube now is small and makes a shit tun of turns and goes from 2 inches to like 6 at the box.

1991fordranger 06-17-2013 07:37 PM

hood wont close if ypu run it to the grille. thats why it gets smaller right behind the hood latch