Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Newb Intro / 1 Click No Start 95% of the time (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/92397-newb-intro-1-click-start-95-time.html)

RobG71 05-26-2013 06:23 PM

Newb Intro / 1 Click No Start 95% of the time

Hello,

My name is Rob and, as my signature says, I'm new to the Ranger but not new to having to wrench on older cars. Figured I'd make a profile here as this seems to be the main online Ranger community, I don't think I'll be doing a lot of customization to my truck, but it has been a solid and reliable vehicle for my family for the last 10 years (Dad's been driving it), I'd like to keep it that way, this latest issue has me wanting to light it on fire and roll it off a cliff whilst using it for target practice though lol...

Working on a 1994 2.3L manual trans, every once in awhile it will start with no problem, when it does, it's as normal as normal gets.

This started about 6 months ago and the truck has been parked since, the rest of the time, one click and then nothing, I will itemize the process I've done:

1. Check the battery. Seemed a bit low, put it on the charger for a few hours, got it up to 13.5v. Re-installed, same effect. Then took the battery to a local auto parts store, tested that it needed a charge but good. Odd because I had just charged it, took it to another store and they said the same thing. I initially suspected the battery was faulty, hence the 2nd opinion, it is apparently still good though.

2. Test starter, per the Chilton book, jump the starter mounted solenoid to the small "S" terminal on the fender mounted solenoid, clicked but did not crank.

3. Whack the starter with a mallet, same effect. Removed starter, had it tested at local auto parts store, they stated it was drawing "a little more" amps than a new one, but was within spec. Had them test an on the shelf unit to verify, they were within 5 amps of each on the draw. Re-installed old starter, which is the original, for the record.

4. Check grounds. Removed all visible grounds on the radiator core support and fender well that related to the battery ground cable or grounding the starter solenoid/relay (whatever you like to call the fender mounted doo-hickey), there was some light oxidation, nothing I would call corroded, cleaned them up anyways and still no result.

5. Check voltage at the fenderwell solenoid "S" wire (the small one, this truck only has the one small wire, not the meters cranking voltage 2nd wire, no confusion), was 12.6v.

I've been reading up on this in books and online, I have to say I am stumped. The truck has a lot of miles and the key cylinder is worn out, I presume if that was an issue, then there would be no click from the fender solenoid. Ditto the clutch safety, my presumption is if it were faulty, there would be no click. I have also considered the electrical ignition switch too, not sure if it would allow the solenoid to click if it was faulty.

One thing it's hard to fault the old man for is his level of cleanliness. He regularly cleans under the hood with oil eater and water. I've had the thought to go through the wiring harness and unplug/clean/reconnect everything just in case this is an issue.

joshyddog 05-26-2013 06:29 PM

Re: Newb Intro / 1 Click No Start 95% of the time

I had my starter tested and it still was shit. Did you hit the starter at the same time some one tryed starting it? Did you jump start it?

Mike In Bama 05-26-2013 06:48 PM

Since you have a voltmeter and know how to use it, try this. Put the meter leads across the battery and have someone try to crank it.

If the voltage drops below 10V, you have a battery or alternator problem. You didn't mention having the alternator checked, but if there is a fault there, it could drag your battery down while starting.

2005 2.3L XL - Alpine CDE-134HD Head - Rockford Fosgate T1682's next

RobG71 05-26-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshyddog (Post 1456357)
I had my starter tested and it still was shit. Did you hit the starter at the same time some one tryed starting it? Did you jump start it?

No, I will try that next, thanks! I had hit it with a mallet but not while trying to crank...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike In Bama (Post 1456396)
Since you have a voltmeter and know how to use it, try this. Put the meter leads across the battery and have someone try to crank it.

If the voltage drops below 10V, you have a battery or alternator problem. You didn't mention having the alternator checked, but if there is a fault there, it could drag your battery down while starting.

I did try that and the voltage did not make a signifigant drop, just under 13 to 12.6. Thanks for the input

RobG71 05-27-2013 07:09 PM

Resolution: Bang on starter with a mallet while attempting to crank over and starts every time, clearly a faulty starter or faulty on-starter solenoid, research continues as to whether or not that solenoid is replaceable...

Thanks again to joshyddog and Mike In Bama for the input here

Mike In Bama 05-27-2013 07:23 PM

Ok. Starting your truck SHOULD drag your batter down. You have a starter or starter relay problem, I'll bet!

----------

I meant battery, of course.

The only other things that make sense out of this are either:

Check where the neg cable is bolted to the chassis.

The key switch itself isn't doing its thing.