Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Why is my radiator coolant.... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/922-radiator-coolant.html)

FreestylinDirtbiker 05-12-2009 07:29 PM

Why is my radiator coolant....

I have an issue with my radiator coolant. It depletes WAY to fast. I will fill it up almost full and in 4-5 days its practically empty. Done this several times..

Any suggestions on whats happening and how to fix it??

-Thanks!!!

RangerJames 05-12-2009 08:22 PM

what kind of coolant are you using? Dont use cheap brands of coolant because sometimes companies water down the coolant they sell and it evaporates very fast. You might also have a leak somewhere, run the truck for awhile so the pressure in the system builds up and check for leaks.

98blownranger 05-13-2009 02:27 PM

you have a leak or bad head gasket. it is not evaprating and even the cheap brands work just fine, it is all tested and must pass before it can be sold

RangerJames 05-13-2009 07:42 PM

ok that is truethat they test it but some of the really cheap crap is crap cause it burns up. I have seen plenty of cars at my work come in with this problem and that was the solution. they did not have leaks and putting a better kind solved the problem

sean3481 05-15-2009 10:48 PM

I'd check around the water pump, hoses and radiator. Let it warm up and see if you get any drops or even check to see before you start it up if there are any unusual dark/wet spots located near/under the water pump and hose lines. I had a similar problem with my water pump slightly leaking only when the engine was warm and after i shut it off.

FreestylinDirtbiker 05-15-2009 11:44 PM

Thanks for the responses guys!!!

I scimmed over the motor and dont see any leaks or spills. everything seems dry. I will go over everything this weekend and check the hoses and clamps and make sure though.

The truck was sitting for a good month without being ran during february. I heard when you get driving it again after its been sitting, you need to get the processs running again. And ive also heard that the clamps can become loose and hoses can wear from sitting!! Everything else seems fine though. Runs good, shifts fine, everything works awesome.

I also noticed that the "check engine" light is curently on. Could that be due to loose hoses or clamps? I heard the check engine light might come on if you have to replace the emission sensors? Is this correct??

Thanks to all of you. Your help is very appreciated!!!

98blownranger 05-16-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreestylinDirtbiker (Post 2843)
Thanks for the responses guys!!!

And ive also heard that the clamps can become loose and hoses can wear from sitting!!

!

ahh NO a truck sitting will not cause that to happen my stuff sitts all winter truck sit on the dealer lot for months at a time. check you plugs look at your exhaust tip any fuild or white smoke, i think it is the head gasket or you had/have air in your system

DocModisett 04-06-2014 06:21 AM

Re: Why is my radiator coolant....

There are 2 tests that need to be run on your engine.... 1. a good compression test and 2. a radiator pressure test.....
the compression test will tell you if you have a head gasket problem and the rad. test will tell you if the system will not hold pressure... and include the rad. cap in this test....
Believe what Curt is telling you.... and me too.... :D:D

Logan03CO 04-06-2014 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocModisett (Post 2098514)
There are 2 tests that need to be run on your engine.... 1. a good compression test and 2. a radiator pressure test.....
the compression test will tell you if you have a head gasket problem and the rad. test will tell you if the system will not hold pressure... and include the rad. cap in this test....
Believe what Curt is telling you.... and me too.... :D:D

This thread is almost 5 years old.... it's from 2009.

Ordinary Biker 04-06-2014 06:31 AM

Maybe he never solved his problem of disappearing coolant, you never know!

http://media3.giphy.com/media/5bo8XMq0GROw0/giphy.gif

tacho19871987 04-06-2014 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan03CO (Post 2098518)

This thread is almost 5 years old.... it's from 2009.

Lmao, they're long gone.

DocModisett 04-07-2014 04:30 AM

HMMMM. Do you suppose that someone else that is having the same problems could read that and get help from it ????:D