Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Lifted Suspension (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/lifted-suspension/)
-   -   torsion key (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/lifted-suspension/9181-torsion-key.html)

fiddick 03-07-2010 05:40 AM

torsion key

Ok i looked around for other threads, and dallyboy helped me, but i still dont understand what the heck is a torsion key lift and where is it?, can someone please help me here, with a like a picture of it, and do you really need to do a steering alignment after?

STL 03-07-2010 06:46 AM

Re: torsion key

anytime you work on any suspension components up front you need to have the alignment checked

Looks like this
http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!BnJRl)Q!mk~...R3DMQ~~_12.JPG

And is located here
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...f2d1ca96-1.jpg

fiddick 03-07-2010 09:36 AM

Thank you! Now alignment? Is that hard to relign?

STL 03-07-2010 09:44 AM

Have to get it done at a shop

Some places will want $60 - $100 dollars. I found a few places here from $20 - $40 dollars.

the places that want the most were big name shops

fiddick 03-07-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 85329)
Have to get it done at a shop

Some places will want $60 - $100 dollars. I found a few places here from $20 - $40 dollars.

the places that want the most were big name shops

Hey thank you, i was on my iphone before and at work, i have 2 more questions, do i have to use that tool you showed above? or can i use a socket?... and which way do it turn them to lift

ranger101 03-07-2010 10:54 AM

Actually STL just posted a picture of the torsion bar. The key is at the opposite end. There is a bolt at that opposite end. Tighten that bolt up and you lift the truck up to 2". The drivers side bolt will be in further than the passenger side bolt. It's normal. It's because of the extra weight on the drivers side. Just crank both of them equal rotations and then go and get your alignment checked.

That key that he pictured is what the bolt turns into. It turns the torsion bar resulting in lift. You'll want to turn the bolt clockwise to lift the truck. You'll need a 13mm socket(I think) and a sharpie. I used a sharpie to mark one side of the bolt head so you know how many rotations you've done.

fiddick 03-07-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger101 (Post 85340)
Actually STL just posted a picture of the torsion bar. The key is at the opposite end. There is a bolt at that opposite end. Tighten that bolt up and you lift the truck up to 2". The drivers side bolt will be in further than the passenger side bolt. It's normal. It's because of the extra weight on the drivers side. Just crank both of them equal rotations and then go and get your alignment checked.

how does doin that put it out of alignment?

ranger101 03-07-2010 11:44 AM

Have you ever jacked up the front of a vehicle that has IFS? Ever noticed how the tires move? This is the same idea.

STL 03-07-2010 11:59 AM

Are you doing the pre 2008 torsion key swap or just cranking your torsion bars?

If your doing the pre 2008 key swap that picture I posted earlier is what the key looks like

fiddick 03-07-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 85349)
Are you doing the pre 2008 torsion key swap or just cranking your torsion bars?

If your doing the pre 2008 key swap that picture I posted earlier is what the key looks like

im just cranking them up only about 1 1/2" tho

STL 03-07-2010 01:29 PM

Well your orginal post talked about kyes

look in the how to section there are pictures

fiddick 03-07-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 85367)
Well your orginal post talked about kyes

look in the how to section there are pictures

sorry... like i said i have no idea im new to lifting... i ment to cranking my bad

STL 03-07-2010 02:21 PM

It's cool

I and many others dont recomend aftermarket torsion keys. because you get the same result for free by cranking ur torsion bars. However clever ole' ford put smaller keys on 2008+ trucks DallyBoy put torsion keys from I believe 2006 truck to get more height. So on 2008+ trucks if u want more height. You need to do a pre 08 key swap.

fiddick 03-07-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 85387)
It's cool

I and many others dont recomend aftermarket torsion keys. because you get the same result for free by cranking ur torsion bars. However clever ole' ford put smaller keys on 2008+ trucks DallyBoy put torsion keys from I believe 2006 truck to get more height. So on 2008+ trucks if u want more height. You need to do a pre 08 key swap.

is that expensive or hard to to do?

STL 03-07-2010 02:34 PM

Never done it. I have seen people post pictures of doing it. Looks pretty easy.

DallyBoy did his I believe