Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Front axle fluid change (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/9089-front-axle-fluid-change.html)

richarddhoward 03-05-2010 02:59 PM

Front axle fluid change

I've got a 97, obviously if you read my sig. My question is what all I have to do to drop my front diff with the TTB setup. I want to switch it over to synthetic oil. And how long does it take? I need to do brakes in the truck too, so I figured while it I had the front apart I'd do the fluid change. Also am I going to need new wheel seals for the axle ends too? I know I need 2 for the brake job. I'm doing the rear diff at the same time in case you are wondering. And 5 quarts of fluid will cover both diffs? Also what brand of friction modifier should I use? And is it specific to rear ends? I can't find any other than for auto trannys that I've searched so far.

Any help is appreciatted. Thanks

richarddhoward 03-05-2010 11:12 PM

Re: Front axle fluid change

Anybody?

richarddhoward 03-06-2010 02:48 AM

Zzzz......

richarddhoward 03-06-2010 09:54 AM

Anybody....anyone at all

richarddhoward 03-06-2010 01:00 PM

You're killing me folks.

West 03-06-2010 08:29 PM

I'm actually curious too. I need to change mine as well, but have no clue how to. And I never remember to get on the service info sites to look it up when I am at school to figure it out.

richarddhoward 03-07-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West (Post 85138)
I'm actually curious too. I need to change mine as well, but have no clue how to. And I never remember to get on the service info sites to look it up when I am at school to figure it out.

Lol well I'm doing that and going to take to the Ford dealer on monday too lol I'm still waiting for the rest of my brake parts too though. I'll be doing all that at once. It's going to be a long day lol

richarddhoward 03-09-2010 05:41 PM

Still nada? I'm going to talk to Ford tomorrow and I'll probably do a how to on changing the front diff fluid in these trucks with ttb when I do it.

jadavis1992 03-09-2010 05:52 PM

there is no drain plug. drill a hole in the bottom, tap the hole and add a bolt. before you add fluid.

richarddhoward 03-09-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadavis1992 (Post 86635)
there is no drain plug. drill a hole in the bottom, tap the hole and add a bolt. before you add fluid.

I was thinking that lol Was thinking I'd order one for a 9 inch and see if I could make it work. But figured for those that don't have the skill/time/resources I could do a how to.

Vrod21 03-09-2010 07:50 PM

I drilled a hole in my tranny pan, tapped it and added a drain plug (1/8"). It was the best thing i have ever done for the tranny. The same principle for the front end diff, but I would imagine you would have to make a bigger hole/plug. Not to mention some people freak out because of the metal shavings that end up in your diff.

Now to try to answer you question, in order to replace the front end fluid you have to drop the diff. Drilling and adding a plug is an option but if your seals are old or leaking, it it best to just bite the bullet and drop the diff. and replace the seals. I'm not sure if you have a limited slip diff. If you do you need a special fluid for it and the front end will be the normal 75w-90.

P.S. Moblie 1 ATF worked wonders for my tranny.

richarddhoward 03-09-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrod21 (Post 86695)
I drilled a hole in my tranny pan, tapped it and added a drain plug (1/8"). It was the best thing i have ever done for the tranny. The same principle for the front end diff, but I would imagine you would have to make a bigger hole/plug. Not to mention some people freak out because of the metal shavings that end up in your diff.

Now to try to answer you question, in order to replace the front end fluid you have to drop the diff. Drilling and adding a plug is an option but if your seals are old or leaking, it it best to just bite the bullet and drop the diff. and replace the seals. I'm not sure if you have a limited slip diff. If you do you need a special fluid for it and the front end will be the normal 75w-90.

P.S. Moblie 1 ATF worked wonders for my tranny.

I already know I have the limited slip. And I am already dropping the front diff because I want to switch to a synthetic. My question is do I have to drop the whole axle or just the diff. Damn ttb lol And I'm probably going to do the plug for the diff at the same time. And the fluid in the tranny is brand new fluid, but it's motorcraft. Where'd you get the plug for your tranny from?

West 03-10-2010 08:21 AM

Since when did any manufacture put a limited slip in the front? I don't know of any manufacture that does.

richarddhoward 03-10-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West (Post 86971)
Since when did any manufacture put a limited slip in the front? I don't know of any manufacture that does.

I have one in the rear, there is not one for the front that I know of

West 03-10-2010 07:16 PM

It just sounded like you guys were talking about limited slips for the front and not the back.