Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   2.9 Liter Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/)
-   -   1990 2.9L V6, Engine Trouble PLEASE HELP ! ! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/9050-1990-2-9l-v6-engine-trouble-please-help.html)

Loki 03-04-2010 06:05 PM

1990 2.9L V6, Engine Trouble PLEASE HELP ! !

Just got the truck not even two weeks ago, 1990 ford ranger extended cab 2.9L v6 4x4.

First the car I was driving before buying the truck was my dads and after I got the truck he gave it to my sister, so getting the car back is not going to happen.

That being said here's my story

OK so here's the deal got the truck feb 20th it had what I thot was a valve tick so I got some oil treatment from auto zone, Not the cheep stuff mind you. All seemed ok for the past few days but I was only driving the truck to and from work with is only 2 miles one way. All was city driving and under 30mph. So today after work I ran to the local mall (about 12 miles one way speed limit 45) and about half the way there the valve tick came back loader then before also seemed to have no power. Got to the mall checked oil and there seems to be none in the truck at all. Got a quart of oil did my shopping and drove home. Tick turned to a rumble that shacks the truck at idle. I thot WTF I must have an oil leak. Got home and pulled the dipstick, No oil. Looked around for over an hour could not find fresh oil leaking anyplace.
Jumped on the net and found someone talking about antifreeze getting into oil and killing engines. Then found a link that said it was a problem with the 2.9L v6 made before 1989. My truck is a 1990, the link said ford fixxed the trouble in 89.

Is it posable My truck has an 89 engine ? I checked the antifreeze reservoir as recomended on the one link I found and the antifreeze is not green it's more like a brown yucky looking goo.

Did I get lemoned ? What should I do ? I'm no mechanic but really need this truck, And I'm scared to drive it now. I used my whole income tax to buy the truck and have an 8 year old daughter that I need to pick up from school and tutoring, then there's also the fact that it's a 2 mile one way walk to work.

PLEASE PLEASE help . I have some tools and access to an indoor shop to work on it after work but have no idea what I should be looking for or how to fix it.

Once again PLEASE help Single dad with little cash in need of this truck in working order.

::EDIT::
Temp gauge hadly ever move's from cold. Heater works but does not seem to work very well. ( Thot That might be related so I edited to add it)

Yrac 03-06-2010 04:55 PM

Re: 1990 2.9L V6, Engine Trouble PLEASE HELP ! !

John, sounds like all your oil ends up in the radiator, most likely a head gasket failure. You can nurse for a long time, just driving short distances. Make sure you always have oil and water in it. Be careful you could kill it! Check out the gasket failure by starting it with the radiator cap off and watch for bubbles, smoke or pressure when you hold your hand over the filler hole. I think you got sold a bill of goods when you bought your truck. More than likely it already had this condition.

Fordguy52 03-07-2010 08:08 PM

Those engines are known for blowing head gaskets. My son's BroncoII had the same issues, when we pulled the heads we found that one of them was cracked. Take it apart and clean the heads thoroughly. If you don't find any cracks get a new set of gaskets and reassemble it. It will be good experience for you, make sure get a shop manual.

Loki 03-09-2010 04:07 PM

OK not the easiest thing I have ever done. :mad: But the head gasket is changed :D . And the truck is as of today back on the road. OMFG what a PITA !

I also changed the thermostat flushed and refilled the radiator. And put 50 test miles on her. All seemed ok.

Till ............. I parked her for about an hour and went to fire her back up. And the engine was jumping. Real real hard idle. Shook the whole truck. I needed to run someplace it was a must to go get my daughter from school and had no other way so I drove about 2 miles to pick her up ( MY Daughter ) . The idle trouble went away after About a city block. Shut the truck off at the school for about 15 mins, Started back up no crazy idle and drove home.

Should I be worried about that crazy idle ? If so what should the next repair be ?

It's almost like a new truck power wise did not bog down on any hills, unlike it was when I first got it ( She was like a slug on hills ).

I also installed a http://www.crutchfield.com/S-furdBIW...C-KD-G720.html I got from craigslist for $50.00 It's like mint I love it when rich kids sell stuff cheep lol

Yrac 03-09-2010 05:13 PM

Good Job! Nice tunes.....wait for more symptoms on the crazy idle, could just be burning out crap.

Loki 03-09-2010 05:42 PM

I did notice a small leak in the rear main seal. Is there anything recommended to deal with the leak aside from pulling the engine and putting a new gasket in ( I'm so not up for that ) ? Maybe some lucas oil stuff or is that all hype snake oil?

Yrac 03-09-2010 05:50 PM

Unless it's bleeding you dry or causing other issues, wait till you have another reason to pull the tranny. Its a lot of work just to fix a "small" leak.

Loki 03-09-2010 09:17 PM

Your the man Yrac. Thank you for the advice. Hope I don't need to post in the engine tech area for a while, And will keep an eye on the RMS. Going to Exhaust and fabrication area's Now for abit