Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Life Expectancy of Headlight Bulbs (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/90169-life-expectancy-headlight-bulbs.html)

gcextreme 04-24-2013 06:26 PM

Life Expectancy of Headlight Bulbs

What is the average life expectancy of ranger headlights bulbs?

I bought my truck used in April 2004, so Its been almost 9 years, and i have not replaced my headlight bulbs. I have had to replace the blinker bulbs and tail light bulbs, but not my headlights...and as far as i know they are still bright as hell....

I have new headlights, for doing my 01 front conversion this summer, and im just wondering if while i have everything apart replacing the stuff, should i go ahead and replace the bulbs???

AlabamaFord 04-24-2013 06:52 PM

Re: Life Expectancy of Headlight Bulbs

I read, depending on the bulbs it can be from 500 hours to I will say 700 hours. But it depends on a heat, weather and usage of lights. If your going to redo the front I would replace the bulbs because the longer the lights are in there they can get dimmer over time. But you can always keep them for a backup.

AnythingCanHappen 04-24-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcextreme (Post 1388767)
What is the average life expectancy of ranger headlights bulbs?

I bought my truck used in April 2004, so Its been almost 9 years, and i have not replaced my headlight bulbs. I have had to replace the blinker bulbs and tail light bulbs, but not my headlights...and as far as i know they are still bright as hell....

I have new headlights, for doing my 01 front conversion this summer, and im just wondering if while i have everything apart replacing the stuff, should i go ahead and replace the bulbs???

depends on what bulbs are in it. if they have been bounced around a lot. how often you use them and so on so forth. but usually the normal non high output bulbs last a while. If you get into the high output/ blubs with blue tint on the lens those dont last as long. This is just my experience

gcextreme 04-24-2013 06:56 PM

yeah i just think its funny, ive seen newer vehicles than mine with burnt out headlights, lol...and after 9 years mine are still fine, lol...hell i wouldn't doubt if they are the original ones......

----------

i just cant wait to get my hood and new grille painted and put on and have the 01-03 honeycomb grille front end with the new headlight housings and corners and powerdome hood... :)

Redneckstone 04-24-2013 08:32 PM

Now that you have posted this...

2 days later... Guys my headlight is out

ford4thot 04-24-2013 08:33 PM

Life Expectancy of Headlight Bulbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneckstone (Post 1389270)
Now that you have posted this...

2 days later... Guys my headlight is out

Of course!!

gcextreme 04-24-2013 08:34 PM

Haha

Knock on wood

96_4x4_XLT 04-24-2013 08:35 PM

when they die its proly a good time to replace them

Monkeee2002 04-24-2013 09:13 PM

If they're that old, and you're gonna have it all apart anyway, I would go ahead and swap in new bulbs.

03RangerFX4 04-25-2013 05:12 AM

My 2003, well one of them is still factory and the other I replaced a year ago. I bought my truck brand new off the lot so I know they can last a while.

dvrich 04-25-2013 06:10 AM

Rule of common sense, replace both headlight bulbs if only one burns out. Don't touch the bulb with your fingers, use gloves or a piece of paper.
There is no formula for bulb life, replace them when they burn out.

RoberticusMaximus 04-25-2013 06:21 AM

i have almost 15 years on my bulbs! and they are NOT as brights as they once were lol

bear_claw_91 04-25-2013 06:35 AM

I just replaced them in my 05. Didn't burn out, but they were pretty faded

Sent from my iPhone