Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   2.9 Liter Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/)
-   -   Hesitation when I accelerate (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/8957-hesitation-accelerate.html)

red87xlt 03-02-2010 10:11 PM

Hesitation when I accelerate

HI guy's i'm new to this site and just wanted to say hello and ask a question about my 87 ford ranger. I have an issue with the truck having some hesitation when I accelerate from idle, once it gets past that first hesitation its fine, any help on this would be appreciated.

1987 ford ranger xlt 2wd
rebuilt 2.9 v6
automatic transmission

Thank you.

Built Ford Tough 03-03-2010 11:50 PM

I know for a fact air filters, when not properly maintained or replaced can suck down your acceleration, your spark plugs might need replacing, maybe a new fuel filter, I don't know whether these apply to your idle problem, but when I replaced all these, minus the fuel filter, I noticed a STRONG difference in acceleration.

Vrod21 03-04-2010 12:26 AM

Hello, and welcome.

A few thoughts. Clean you MAF sensor, air filter and your Throttle body. Also do the accelerator pedal mod. It might work. Hope this helps.

red87xlt 03-04-2010 07:51 PM

I replaced the plugs and wires when we rebuilt the engine 800 miles ago but never the fuel filter or cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. How would i do that? and could it also be the TPS sensor OR MAP sensor? thank you guy's for the info.

ADAM.

thomas2132 03-04-2010 10:02 PM

My hesitation was due to a faulty throttle positioning sensor.

red87xlt 03-05-2010 09:20 PM

Re: Hesitation when I accelerate

Thanks thomas, i just put a scanner to it and said code 73 TPS sensor and code 25 knock sensor not detected.

Built Ford Tough 03-09-2010 11:33 PM

Idk where your fuel filter is, mine was below the fuel cap on my left side, hid up in the bed a little bit. Basically take the weird clip off, Close your eyes and watch out for the backpressured fuel, dampen face with towel to get fuel off, and do a lil R&R

jester 03-10-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Built Ford Tough (Post 86811)
Idk where your fuel filter is, mine was below the fuel cap on my left side, hid up in the bed a little bit. Basically take the weird clip off, Close your eyes and watch out for the backpressured fuel, dampen face with towel to get fuel off, and do a lil R&R

Or take your gas cap off first so you dont have to worry about spraying yourself with fuel.

buddyph 06-12-2011 08:20 AM

I have a 2002 Ranger and recently it has began to hesitate between gears and accelerating. If I let off the accelerater it will accelerate but over a distance. Otherwise it appears as if it is being flooded/choked. I had the fuel filter changed at the dealer and recently replaced the spark plugs and wires but need to narrow down the source of the problem so I am not taken on a fishing trips having unneeded work performed and possibly not resolving the problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

Bajaracer1 09-11-2013 09:10 PM

Hello All , New to posting , Been reading and enjoying looking and now that i have a ranger [87] I could use a little help. I am building a 87 STX ext cab 4x4 into a street legal yet VORRA legal off road rig, used to race a 78 full size Bronco in BITD & VORRA full stock class , Yes it was the Light blue one from Grants Pass . OR After racing for several years we started to upgrade to class 3 and then the 08 economy took a dump, no need to go further on that uh guys. anyway I sold some parts off the old bronco and got my current project. I am starting from scratch but I have some cool stuff from the Bronco I saved , IE Race seats, radios, Pumper , intercom , window nets etc, 17" Bilstein 9100 shocks , I just bought 100 ft of 125 wall 1 3/4 DOM for the cage , I promise I will post photos at it progress. Plans are simple starting with a 4" body lift [35/12.50/16 BFG Projects, Only raced once [SF 250] LOL, Full inside cage , engine cage, [V6] truck will have aprox. 12" rear & 10" front travel. At this time I have a bad flat spot/ hesitation on takeoff , truck sat for a couple years, and I just replaced Plugs, rotor , cap, wires, Looks like from previous post it could be TPS or ? any idea's Thanks Guys You rock, and God bless, Eldon @ Coats & Coats off road race team...

----------

Hello All , New to posting , Been reading and enjoying looking and now that i have a ranger [87] I could use a little help. I am building a 87 STX ext cab 4x4 into a street legal yet VORRA legal off road rig, used to race a 78 full size Bronco in BITD & VORRA full stock class , Yes it was the Light blue one from Grants Pass . OR After racing for several years we started to upgrade to class 3 and then the 08 economy took a dump, no need to go further on that uh guys. anyway I sold some parts off the old bronco and got my current project. I am starting from scratch but I have some cool stuff from the Bronco I saved , IE Race seats, radios, Pumper , intercom , window nets etc, 17" Bilstein 9100 shocks , I just bought 100 ft of 125 wall 1 3/4 DOM for the cage , I promise I will post photos at it progress. Plans are simple starting with a 4" body lift [35/12.50/16 BFG Projects, Only raced once [SF 250] LOL, Full inside cage , engine cage, [V6] truck will have aprox. 12" rear & 10" front travel. At this time I have a bad flat spot/ hesitation on takeoff , truck sat for a couple years, and I just replaced Plugs, rotor , cap, wires, Looks like from previous post it could be TPS or ? any idea's Thanks Guys You rock, and God bless, Eldon @ Coats & Coats off road race team...

Sub74 09-11-2013 10:36 PM

I would start with cleaning the fuel system
Pick-up screen
Purge fuel lines
New fuel filter
New fuel regulator
Then run a lot of fuel injector cleaner thru the system
It probably has "fuzz" from fuel break down clogging the system so you don't get that immediate response at acceleration

Bajaracer1 09-12-2013 11:03 PM

Thank you Sub74 , I will take your advice, cant go wrong with starting with the fuel system and working toward the harder stuff. I am very excited about being on the ranger forum and sharing / learning . I love the Ranger, Bronco 2 platform and look forward to posting the build... I live in the southern part of Oregon and have a fairly large shop, anybody in my area needing to bend some tube or fab a part for their Ranger/bronco 2, are welcome to look me up. we have our place up for sale till next month. [ dont want to move in winter ] otherwise will be moving to AZ , "Prescott" next year. Winter will be productive in OR as i fire up the wood stove and crank up the tunes in the shop... Peace:D

Psychopete 09-13-2013 07:47 PM

just remember it's an '87 - it's 2013 now (26 years) :) cars these age it takes me some time actually driving it to narrow down what the actual problems are. they can not be so easy to diagnose given what the engine has been thru and how old everything is.

first thing I would recommend is checking vacuum, trouble codes from the computer since that model does not have a check engine light, fuel pressure test at which you're driving the truck, and less info on your plans and more info on the issues you're having for diagnostic purposes :) it was hard for me to follow the problem, I am not really into what you're doing, but I am sure it's a great time

----------

FWIW reading back, only the cali emissions trucks 90+ have MAF systems, all in all, the majority of 2.9L trucks do NOT .

eloped 09-20-2013 01:20 PM

i have what seem to be fuel issues, when driving sometimes my truck loses poer and lugs back and forth like the fuel is cutting out then regains some power and gets back up to speed. new f pumps and cleans lines + new regulator too, i didnt see a fuel filter on my 86 any where and ive had it all apart (fuel system)

eloped 09-20-2013 06:38 PM

fuel filter located and replaced it. it was plugged bad. IT HAS an bad idle though that goes up and down by 850 to 1300, whats the deal