Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   Gumout additive question? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/88038-gumout-additive-question.html)

ClemsonRanguh 03-28-2013 06:49 PM

Gumout additive question?

Should I fill up the tank after adding? Or would maybe only going to 1/2 tank be more efficient due to the higher concentration?

Also, think it would be harmful to my truck bc of it's high mileage? (309 K)?

Any input appreciated guys!

Monkeee2002 03-28-2013 07:09 PM

Re: Gumout additive question?

I've used fuel additives in engines with mileage higher than that.

I'm not going to recommend doubling their recommended dosage, but I doubt if it would do any damage.
My guess for worst case scenario, it breaks a bunch of build-up loose, and fouls your plugs.

But, many people think that the "standard" injector cleaners don't really help like they used to; fuels have pretty good detergents in them nowadays (in the US anyway.)

ClemsonRanguh 03-28-2013 07:46 PM

Yea, I figured as much about the effectiveness of it. But it's pretty cheap so I figured I'd give it a try to get every mile out of my engine haha.

Thank ya!

Monkeee2002 03-28-2013 09:36 PM

I'm in the same boat. I can't convince myself it's anything more than snake oil, but I dump in a bottle every few months, just in case LoL

sgtsandman 03-29-2013 06:40 AM

Fuel system cleaners still help. Deposits still build up even with the detergents in the fuel. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall seems to work well; preferably in conjunction with a road trip somewhere. The general opinion is not to do much more than that unless you have an injector problem since it can be hard on the cat. Just pour the cleaner in and fill the tank. Run it until the tank is on E before refueling again to get the best results.

Sent from my DROID X2 using FRF App
'98 XLT, 2.5, 5MT, RWD
'11 XLT, 4.0, 5MT, 4X4

ClemsonRanguh 03-29-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeee2002 (Post 1331288)
I'm in the same boat. I can't convince myself it's anything more than snake oil, but I dump in a bottle every few months, just in case LoL

Haha

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtsandman (Post 1331530)
Fuel system cleaners still help. Deposits still build up even with the detergents in the fuel. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall seems to work well; preferably in conjunction with a road trip somewhere. The general opinion is not to do much more than that unless you have an injector problem since it can be hard on the cat. Just pour the cleaner in and fill the tank. Run it until the tank is on E before refueling again to get the best results.

Sent from my DROID X2 using FRF App
'98 XLT, 2.5, 5MT, RWD
'11 XLT, 4.0, 5MT, 4X4

Nice thanks.

JGiddy 03-29-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeee2002 (Post 1331288)

Its one of those things you'll never see a difference from, but after years of using it on a regular basis it will make a difference compared to if you never used it at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeee2002 (Post 1331039)
My guess for worst case scenario, it breaks a bunch of build-up loose, and fouls your plugs.

and fuel filter.