Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   3.0 engine swap help (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/8625-3-0-engine-swap-help.html)

rangerguy889 02-25-2010 11:15 PM

3.0 engine swap help

Hello fellow members,I've posted earlier and haven't had any luck here.my 1999 3.0 flex fuel engine is shot.I bought a straight gas engine locally and need to know what I need to do or parts to swap to get truck on the road again.I've called different dealers and they don't know....I've given up on them,their techs are always busy and just joker parts people wwho are clueless.can anyone kindly here give me a heads up on what I should do.I understand they are the exact engine except for a few changes.if anyone can help again with these issue is greatly appreciated.thx

wvcat 02-26-2010 05:17 AM

The engines are basically the same but I think there may be a difference in the heads(somebody will chime in) Anyway you can make it work. You need to swap the wiring harness and the injectors out of your old engine to make it work without a cel. The only other things you might have to swap is the knock sensor located behind the ps head and the cam syncronizer(depending on the year of the motor). When installing the engine be careful not to break the knock sensor(I did) and ended up changing it again after the engine was installed

SmokeyMcPot420 02-26-2010 09:49 AM

Let me chime in with a question quick, Ihad a regular gas engine in my ranger and swapped in a 3.0 flex fuel but i didnt switch the wireing harness and my cel is on. Is that alright?

wvcat 02-26-2010 03:11 PM

I am not sure did you run the codes? I have only did it once and I put a regular fuel engine in a flex fuel truck but I just changed the harness, injectors and knock sensor. No cel and it runs good...

rangerguy889 02-26-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvcat (Post 79102)
The engines are basically the same but I think there may be a difference in the heads(somebody will chime in) Anyway you can make it work. You need to swap the wiring harness and the injectors out of your old engine to make it work without a cel. The only other things you might have to swap is the knock sensor located behind the ps head and the cam syncronizer(depending on the year of the motor). When installing the engine be careful not to break the knock sensor(I did) and ended up changing it again after the engine was installed

Thanks for the input,I was told I have to swap the lower intake and injectors.and use the oe harness which I have.I no longer have the old engine as it was taken....according to my mechanic.he says someone took it???I think he scrapped it.I now only have just the reg gas complete engine.do you think if find a ff lower intake and injectors will work?along changing the knock sensor?I'm in ca and the emission regulations are a joke.please advice before I order that lower intake and injectors.thanks again

rangerguy889 02-26-2010 11:25 PM

BTW the mechanic is no longer in the pic.he just pulled the engine,I'm doing the actual work now.don't trust him anymore

rangerguy889 02-26-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvcat (Post 79319)
I am not sure did you run the codes? I have only did it once and I put a regular fuel engine in a flex fuel truck but I just changed the harness, injectors and knock sensor. No cel and it runs good...

No I haven't run codes,engines not in yet..I don't want to slap in the engine until I'm positively sure I know what I'm doing.don't want any headaches down the road.also on the intake subject,its stating the ff and reg gas are differnt.can you tell me if that's correct.thanks I appreciate everybodys feedback

wvcat 02-27-2010 05:58 AM

The actual intake is the same, its just the injectors that are different. If my memory is correct I think the gas injectors have green plugs and the ff are grey. I just pulled the upper intake and swapped out the injectors and fuel rail in one piece. There are 2 bolts per side holding the fuel rails down and the injectors just pop out.