Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   ABS Light keeps coming on... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/83958-abs-light-coming.html)

MaDDMike740 02-08-2013 06:29 PM

ABS Light keeps coming on...

So about once a week my ABS light would come on, now almost like clock work when I come home from work, it's a 30 min drive, when I get a couple miles from home the ABS light comes on. Next morning it's out then it'll come on again on my way home. It has rear ABS.

My brakes feel fine though. Where do I even begin to troubleshoot this?

stateranger 02-08-2013 07:10 PM

Re: ABS Light keeps coming on...

Start checking electrical connections.

Blank_doubt 02-09-2013 09:01 AM

Me truck did the same for a short bit.
After new wheel cylinders, shoes and all bits, ABS light gone.

Spidey2011 02-09-2013 09:50 AM

Speed sensor is my first guess. If you have cruise, does it work?

FX4level2 baja 02-09-2013 10:25 AM

Speed sensors or your hubs

RoberticusMaximus 02-09-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey2011 (Post 1246190)

yes check the speedo/abs sensor on top of the rear diff. I have the same truck, and basically the same problem. the abs light would come on. easy to do iirc

MaDDMike740 02-10-2013 10:39 PM

No cruise Spidey, however, today when I was backing out the driveway ( little slope) I had to push the pedal to the floor to keep from backing out on the road and getting t-boned by a Dodge Dually. And now that I've been paying more attention my pedal goes down a lot before it starts to slow, they're kinda spongy. I'm gonna do new brakes all around and front rotors next week end and go from there.

Thanks.

RangerJoe52 02-11-2013 12:36 AM

Did you check your fluid level had basically the same problem added fluid and all is fine in brake land.

Scott586 02-11-2013 08:31 AM

New brakes all around is a good thing if the truck is due; always better to do scheduled maintenance versus unscheduled repairs. You may find your leak during that process too. Why new rotors, is there a problem with yours? Let us know about the brake fluid level and keep us posted on your progress.

RoberticusMaximus 02-11-2013 08:36 AM

yeah, could be that you find more probs than just a sensor or bad brakes - x2 keep us posted :)

modelageek 02-13-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey2011 (Post 1246190)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX4level2 baja (Post 1246238)
Speed sensors or your hubs

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertmcclure (Post 1246248)
yes check the speedo/abs sensor on top of the rear diff. I have the same truck, and basically the same problem. the abs light would come on. easy to do iirc

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaDDMike740 (Post 1249316)
No cruise Spidey, however, today when I was backing out the driveway ( little slope) I had to push the pedal to the floor to keep from backing out on the road and getting t-boned by a Dodge Dually. And now that I've been paying more attention my pedal goes down a lot before it starts to slow, they're kinda spongy. I'm gonna do new brakes all around and front rotors next week end and go from there.

Thanks.

Lol,......did you not see the multiple speed sensor posts?

Deleted

SFDROIDBIONICUT2

modelageek 02-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaDDMike740 (Post 1249316)

Thanks.

Deleted

SFDROIDBIONICUT2

MaDDMike740 02-27-2013 10:21 PM

So I changed the front rotors, inner/outer wheel bearings (Timken) and put cmax ceramic pads on the front, stops like a dream and no hop anymore, however, my ABS light came on again.

I wasn't expecting that to solve the issue but my fronts were bad shape, one guide pin was seized up bad had to soak with kroil and heat gently heat with propane torch to free it up. Blaster didn't touch it. That Kroil is an amazing penetrate. One pad I had to beat off with a screwdriver and a ballpeen hammer.

Now Im gonna do the rear but it gives me two options, 9 inch or 10 inch drums...how the hell do I know which on I have? I'm getting that kit too that has all new springs it's only 8$...$80 total for everything.

I wonder in the owners manual tells me what size drums it takes. I doubt it.

I sprayed all the plugs with cleaner too..I used MAF cleaner...it's gentle and dries up quick so I didn't see an issue using it.

modelageek 02-28-2013 04:40 AM

unsubscribed

Cashanova89 03-12-2013 06:18 PM

sorry to jump in....I have had my ABS light on for about 6 months now. My levels are good. I have cruise control and it works. and When i replaced my rear shoes the light went off but after a week it came back to stay. I have realized over the past week I do have to put the brake pedal almost to the floor. any suggestions or pointers?