Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Automatic transmision, Engine 2.3 L (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/8276-automatic-transmision-engine-2-3-a.html)

edbott 02-19-2010 11:36 PM

Automatic transmision, Engine 2.3 L

Hello everybody, I'm new in this site.
I bought a Ranger 2005 2.3L short bed, This truck is perfect for my work, every single day I drive more than 100 miles, right now it has 111,000 miles, The weather in so hot in summer rise to 120 F.
In this conditions when the truck had 92,000 miles the transmition broke. I went to the dealer to repair it (it had extented warranty) and it was fixed at least I thought it. but every 2,000 miles after, the transmision began to fail again (between 2nd and 3rd speeds sleep), I went 4 times more, the last one was 4 months ago. when the winter season came the transmission began to work property.
Then I thought "probably the transmision is failling by overheating"
I asked to many tech's and mechanics about it. They told me that is common that Ranger has problem in the transmission after 90,000 miles and if it is rebuilt never works well always will have problems....????
could some one give me more information or what can I do?

Clem 02-20-2010 08:57 AM

Find and install the largest aftermarket transmission cooler you can find/afford.
Heat is the main killer of automatics.
As far as what else might be wrong with your automatic, I'll have to pass on that.
Most are going to tell you to convert it to manual, that is a good idea, but, it is also pretty pricey when you figure in the cost of all the parts and the time to do the swap.
Good luck.

Ray

edbott 02-20-2010 07:54 PM

Thanks, some one told me the same

I was in U-Haul and the employee told me the same
I ask to my mechanic and he is going to looking for a cooler
I saw a large cooler made for Izuzu trucks and we need to figure out how to fit it. And I am going to install a external oil filter.
Final question: In the winter season does the external cooler make the oil so dense and damage the transmission?
I was thinking to change the oil transmission every springs. Is it doing better or not?

Clem 02-21-2010 09:31 AM

In the winter, when the temps get down in the teens, you will find that the transmission doesn't shift real well. some of this can be taken care of by using a high end synthetic trans fluid. I have seen where people plumbed in valves to route the transmission fluid threw the radiator in the winter and then by pass it in the summer. I never noticed any problem with the cold temps and thicker oil damaging the trans.
With a good cooler and an external filter, you will probably be able to get 20000+ out of the oil, this will depend more on how the truck is used, how hot the oil gets and what contaminates are in the oil. I know people who have their automatic transmission oil analyzed every year, most say it is cheaper than just replacing it. These guys are also using some pretty pricey synthetic stuff.
Good luck.

Ray

07XLT 02-24-2010 11:09 AM

Just out of curiosity, how much would a Auto to Manual swap cost? I'm thinking down the road something like that might be worth it.

Clem 02-25-2010 07:54 AM

That really depends on how you go about it: if you buy the setup a piece at a time from a wrecking yard, it could cost $1500 or so. If you go out and buy a complete wrecked or otherwise not running RBV (bad engine, running gear or someone just quit driving the rig for whatever reason), a couple hundred up. I bought a complete running 92 Explorer for $500 then picked up a M5OD transmission and manual shift 1354 transfer-case for $250. The Explorer had an A4LD/1354e that I didn't use. But I got all the parts needed for $750. It really depends on what you want to end up with and how you want to go about it. I have read on here and other forums, where these rigs and/or parts have been picked up for as little as $50.