Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   Weird shakes while idling. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/82704-weird-shakes-idling.html)

CountryGal 01-24-2013 08:30 PM

Weird shakes while idling.

I'm not sure what's going on. I just replaced the radiator on my ranger bcuz it overheated and cracked the old one. Also a new thermostat, so not sure if that is what caused the problem. When I start my truck, it barely idles at 500 rpm and it shakes. Like the whole truck is trying super hard to stay running. Lots of white smoke coming outta the muffler. Even after it runs for awhile, if I come to a stop light or stop sign, it shakes again. Are my heads warped? MAF problems? No check engine light has come on, but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix it. Help :(

chartkor 01-27-2013 02:53 PM

Re: Weird shakes while idling.

Hello,
I was thinking about joining this forum for a while now, your thread inspired me to do so as I might be able to help since I experience similar problems in my 02 Escape with 3.0 Duratec.

Easiest and costless fix would be taking out the Idle Air Control Valve and clean it very good. Make sure there is nothing in it and NO WATER before you put it back in.
In our shop we use Wurth Brake and Parts cleaner, good stuff if you could lay your hands on something like this and an air hose to give it good blow thru that would be great.
Hopefully that solves the problem. If not we will have to keep on looking. Other possible things might be faulty plugs, injectors, coils

ballinonabudget 01-27-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryGal (Post 1219455)
I'm not sure what's going on. I just replaced the radiator on my ranger bcuz it overheated and cracked the old one. Also a new thermostat, so not sure if that is what caused the problem. When I start my truck, it barely idles at 500 rpm and it shakes. Like the whole truck is trying super hard to stay running. Lots of white smoke coming outta the muffler. Even after it runs for awhile, if I come to a stop light or stop sign, it shakes again. Are my heads warped? MAF problems? No check engine light has come on, but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix it. Help :(

Cracked head gasket. Had this happen to me and I just ignored it until my motor blew. Stop driving it, pull the heads off and replace the gasket and anything else you need to.

CountryGal 01-28-2013 10:21 AM

Thank you guys for the help :) had my check engine light came on yesterday, cylinder 6 misfire, so I'm hoping that's all I need to do is replace the plugs. Really hoping the heads aren't cracked or warped. My truck needs to get smogged next month. Seems like I always have problems the week before I have to take it in. Thank you guys again. Really appreciate it.

dented95ranger 01-29-2013 05:03 PM

If you're getting the white smoke from the tailpipe, it could either be condensation, or you did either crack the heads, or the head gasket. If it's leaking then it could cause the #6 misfire, so try the plug but if it's not that then you should get the heads checked out with a compression test.

Bsenevey 01-29-2013 05:19 PM

I had the same problem. I wasted a lot time trouble shooting the wrong things when I should have got a test done. I was told I have a bad or stuck valve, but not really sure where to go from there.

CountryGal 01-30-2013 11:41 PM

Is the compression test when they put the vile with blue liquid in the radiator and if the blue liquid turns green, I'm effed??

stateranger 01-31-2013 12:24 AM

The compression test is when they remove the sparkplugs install a pressure guage,crank the engine over,and take a pressure reading for each cylinder.

CountryGal 02-11-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stateranger (Post 1230030)
The compression test is when they remove the sparkplugs install a pressure guage,crank the engine over,and take a pressure reading for each cylinder.

Gotcha.... I had a cylinder 6 misfire. New plugs are in it now and it's running better, not great, but better. And of course, one problem fixed and another arises.. Purdy sure my starter is going out now.

stateranger 02-11-2013 12:38 PM

Cool, let us know if you find the other issue.

Mailman1 02-11-2013 05:55 PM

I hate to rain on the parade but I would say at least one or maybe both of your heads are cracked seeing that you said it got overheated before. I just got done putting a complete top end on my 99 4.0 OHV and it started out by saying cly. 6 misfire and then the whitish smoke and off and on missing. I put a new plug in no. 6 and it ran for a while and then back missing off and on. Hoefully it is just a head gasket but be sure when you have the head off check and make sure the head is or isn't cracked.

CountryGal 02-11-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mailman1 (Post 1250458)
I hate to rain on the parade but I would say at least one or maybe both of your heads are cracked seeing that you said it got overheated before. I just got done putting a complete top end on my 99 4.0 OHV and it started out by saying cly. 6 misfire and then the whitish smoke and off and on missing. I put a new plug in no. 6 and it ran for a while and then back missing off and on. Hoefully it is just a head gasket but be sure when you have the head off check and make sure the head is or isn't cracked.

Please, by all means, rain on my parade. I just want to get my ranger running good again. I think you're right about the heads. :( Ill have to get those fixed again.