Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   battery light flickering at idle! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/82570-battery-light-flickering-idle.html)

modelageek 01-23-2013 08:49 AM

battery light flickering at idle!

This morning my battery light started flickering. I tested it with my MM while the light was on and it stayed around 14.5 volts. The light is not on while driving. Truck seems to run fine. Last tine the Bat light was on was 4 years ago. I put an AZ alternator in it and it solved it. The Battery is 2 months old. It is very cold abd dry outside. I checked the bat connections quickly and they seem fine. The light is off now as I sit idling. All thoughts are encouraged.
SFDROIDBIONICUT2

RoberticusMaximus 01-23-2013 08:52 AM

Re: battery light flickering at idle!

subscribed :D
my battery warning light would go on-off-on-off (slower than a flicker though) & then stay on for a while. it was in fact my alternator... i only let it do that for about a day or two before i replaced it.
subscribed anyhow lol :)

4Banger5speed 01-24-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertmcclure (Post 1216017)
subscribed :D
my battery warning light would go on-off-on-off (slower than a flicker though) & then stay on for a while. it was in fact my alternator... i only let it do that for about a day or two before i replaced it.
subscribed anyhow lol :)

Yeah Im thinkin the same thing. Probably an early warning. The 14.5 is good though. Does the alternator have a limited lifetime warranty? If so it would be worth doing the work for peace of mind.

4b316 01-24-2013 06:22 AM

Maybe just idling too slow?

modelageek 01-24-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Banger5speed (Post 1217661)
Yeah Im thinkin the same thing. Probably an early warning. The 14.5 is good though. Does the alternator have a limited lifetime warranty? If so it would be worth doing the work for peace of mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4b316 (Post 1217739)
Maybe just idling too slow?

When the light was on idle was 850?

Yesterday I fiddled with the wires and it has basically been off since. When I put the alternator in there was the main wiring harness and then there was a separate black/white wire. I broke the gray connector for that wire and had to splice a new one in 4 years ago. I noticed when that wire is disconnected the BAT light comes on. I fiddled with that wire yesterday. I am not sure what that wire is for. I am still putting out 14.52ish. It is 1 degree F outside. I hope it lasts a few more days or maybe it was the black/white wire

Thanks IWKYP

SFDROIDBIONICUT2

RoberticusMaximus 01-24-2013 08:54 AM

holy geebus that's cold lol!

FireRanger 01-24-2013 09:25 AM

The light comes on when the alternator is not generating power but the key is on. The light actually has nothing to do with the battery, despite being shaped like a battery and being called the battery light.

Electrical connections and solder joints contract and are stressed in the extreme cold. So changes are the voltage regulator is beat and the cold is making it show.

modelageek 01-29-2013 07:16 AM

Update: since I fiddled with the wires the light has stayed off and the volts have stayed at 14.5. I am thinking it is the connector at the alternator with the black/white wire.

SFDROIDBIONICUT2