Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   2.5L timing belt replacement (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/80817-2-5l-timing-belt-replacement.html)

spitznagel 01-02-2013 10:17 AM

2.5L timing belt replacement

Hey guys, got quick question about the timing belt. I'm wondering if there is anything else besides the water pump that should be taken care of when i replace the belt. Also, does anyone know with absolute certainty that if the belt blows while the engine is running, that i dont destroy the valves or pistons.

Thanks

sgtsandman 01-02-2013 10:54 AM

Replace the tensioner pulley while you are there and the thermostat. Access to the goose neck is much easier with the belt cover off.

Several people on here have had their belts snap and were able to just put a new belt on and get it running again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using FRF App
'98 XLT, 2.5, 5MT, RWD
'11 XLT, 4.0, 5MT, 4X4

RoberticusMaximus 01-02-2013 11:20 AM

Re: 2.5L timing belt replacement

right!^ that's the way i understand it. the 2.5 is a 'non-interference' engine

spitznagel 01-02-2013 11:30 AM

I dont suppose anyone here knows somebody in denver that does this work for a reasonable price? Im a little hesitant to do this kind of job since ive never done one.

96Ranger2.3 01-02-2013 12:22 PM

There is a first time for everything! Lol you can do it. Look on YouTube for some videos. Should help you decide whether you can do it or not.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using FRF App

4Banger5speed 01-02-2013 10:55 PM

Its not hard. Do some searches on "changing timing belt on 98 ford ranger 2.5.... Look at some pics and videos... Allow yourself plenty of time. Dont try to do it lickety split. My Dayco belt came with very detailed instructions for every motor it fit. (21.99) and my TRW tesioner was 27.00. I took mine apart one evening. Put on the belt and tensioner the next morning and cranked her up with radiator out and all the other stuff unhooked/laying aside. She purred like a kitten so I slowly and carefully put it all back together. I was freaking out about doing it. Turned out to be easy. Just have faith ...Dont try to hurry and follow the instructions carefully. You will save a TON of money. Like 300.00 or more labor! Plus you will feel great and more confident about taking on more repairs! Trust me!....you CAN do it! Good luck with your repair.

spitznagel 01-03-2013 10:11 AM

thanks, i was getting ready to call a mechanic but saving a bunch of money does sound pretty good. How long did it take you to do it the first time?

4Banger5speed 01-03-2013 10:36 AM

The Instructions that came with the belt say its 3 hours with A/C and power steering. Im not gonna lie in all totaled I spent about 6 hours doing it. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed and go about everything slow and easy. Pulling all the stuff off and out of the way ...then putting it back together is the longest process. (Thats why I split it up over 2 days. Putting the belt on is 20 mins or less. Just do a google search there are plenty of pictures and good instruction of what you need to do. No special tools really just make sure you have a socket that fits your Crank bolt (Mine was 23mm) and a breaker bar. I used a crows foot syle gear/pulley puller to pull off my Crank pulley. (10 bucks at harbor frieght for a 46 piece "bolt puller set") A lot of people say you can hit it a few times with a rubber mallet and spray it with WD40 and get it off without a puller.... But I already had the puller so I used it. The truck is already broke so you cant break it anymore! Lol Just try it... worst case scenario is you cant do it. Just keep track of all the parts and get someone else to finish it. Believe me its not hard. With average mechanical ability you can pull this off.

sgtsandman 01-03-2013 01:36 PM

I'm sure that time was for someone with a full blown shop and air tools, not to mention previous experience. All those make a huge difference in the time it takes to do the job.

Sent from my DROID X2 using FRF App
'98 XLT, 2.5, 5MT, RWD
'11 XLT, 4.0, 5MT, 4X4

Blank_doubt 01-04-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitznagel (Post 1177634)
Hey guys, got quick question about the timing belt. I'm wondering if there is anything else besides the water pump that should be taken care of when i replace the belt. Also, does anyone know with absolute certainty that if the belt blows while the engine is running, that i dont destroy the valves or pistons.

Thanks

Since there is no available HOW TO: TIMING BELT in the HOW TO section I borrowed from post #3: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cyl...cyl-motor.html
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...on-177331.html

Hope something in this post helps whomever.

!!SREEHC

spitznagel 01-05-2013 10:00 AM

i tried checking out that how to section, but all the image links are broken. Anyone know any hints on seeing the timing marks through the access hole on the belt cover? i cant really get a good angle but they say that the purpose of the hole is to be able to view it easily without taking too much apart. Also, ive only removed the #1 cylinder spark plug but it was extremely difficult to get the boot off. It tore out the inside of the spark plug wire, leaving the connector still attached to the plug. Im worried that it will do the same thing on the other plugs. does anyone know a way around this?