Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   Instrument Cluster/Tail Lights/Fog Lights - NO Lights when Headlamps are on??? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/802-instrument-cluster-tail-lights-fog-lights-lights-headlamps.html)

bwheeler 05-02-2009 07:55 PM

Instrument Cluster/Tail Lights/Fog Lights - NO Lights when Headlamps are on???

I have an '01 Edge (6cyl, 3.0L, Auto) - at night when you turn the headlamp switch on . . . entire cluster guages don't light up, fog lamps don't light up, and taillights aren't working (the headlights do turn on though).

Not even sure where to start . . . I have checked the fuses thoroughly (made sure - by the book, there was the right fuse at the right amperage in the right spot, but everything was fine).

If anyone can help . . . please - my car isn't legal at night until I fix this :eek:

Brandon

bwheeler 05-04-2009 07:39 AM

I think it might be either the headlight or dimmer switch - anyone ever experienced a similar problem?

Really appreciate any comments here!

Thank you again.

Brandon

dogboy 06-02-2009 12:18 PM

i had that same problem with my 91 now dont take my word for it because there is a ten year gap between our vehicles and the factory could have changed the wiring but in my truck all i had to do was replace a fuse that was under the dash

littleblue 06-02-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogboy (Post 4256)
i had that same problem with my 91 now dont take my word for it because there is a ten year gap between our vehicles and the factory could have changed the wiring but in my truck all i had to do was replace a fuse that was under the dash

ditto, most cars when the dash and taillights go out it is usually the fuse. if it keeps happening though, you need to find out whats cause to fuse to blow.

bwheeler 06-03-2009 05:52 AM

I found the issue - the previous owner had the ground attached to the power source for his HID lights. Blew the fuse once you turned it on (every time)!

Thank you for all the replies!

dogboy 06-03-2009 11:14 PM

what is your opion on the HID kit iv been considering doing it but i want some information from people who are currently or have used them before i decide to buy them

bwheeler 06-05-2009 05:35 AM

It looks cool (I mean the lights are very bright and blue) however, I think it could be illegal actually.

Although, I've already replaced the alternator with a more powerful version - just to accomodate the extra power needed. Plus its rather expensive - even if you buy the system through ebay!

Its up to you!

johnboy15 06-17-2021 08:15 AM

Re: Instrument Cluster/Tail Lights/Fog Lights - NO Lights when Headlamps are on???

Having the same problem, everything works, except the rear lights, panel dash light, parking lights and the OBD are not functioning!

12 Deg North Industries 06-18-2021 09:05 PM

Re: Instrument Cluster/Tail Lights/Fog Lights - NO Lights when Headlamps are on???

Had a 94' a few months ago with a similar issue, Bad ground in the chassis harness leading to the drivers side taillight. Break out the DVOM and start chasing some wire.