Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Lifted Suspension (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/lifted-suspension/)
-   -   Torsion Bar Level/Lift (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/lifted-suspension/8017-torsion-bar-level-lift.html)

stephen.g.fiddes 02-15-2010 11:53 PM

Torsion Bar Level/Lift

I've been reading the threads on torsion bar lifts, and here is what I got from it...

--Don't lift more than 1-2" from factory specs, or CV and BJ will wear out.

--If I stay under the 2" mark, then my CV joint and BJ's will be fine, just have a slightly rougher ride. (who cares??? Humvees are worse... on smooth ground...)

Is this correct so far?

Also, instead of using an "add-a-leaf" or something like that, could i just slap a steel spacer between the leafs and rear-end to get the desired results? or would that be too unstable?

How much added stress do wheel spacers put on the axle?

How long would it be before my T-Bars sagged back down? (truck has 106,xxx miles on it)

What is the heaviest T-bar I can put in and where can I get it cheap?

If I need to replace the shocks (we'll see what the mechanic says), should I get longer ones, and what brand? Reservoir or not?

I am on a budget here, but if I have to get new parts, I'm putting quality ones in that aren't going to break as soon as I get it off the hardball.

Thanks a bunch!

RangerJustin 02-16-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen.g.fiddes (Post 71905)
I've been reading the threads on torsion bar lifts, and here is what I got from it...

--Don't lift more than 1-2" from factory specs, or CV and BJ will wear out.

--If I stay under the 2" mark, then my CV joint and BJ's will be fine, just have a slightly rougher ride. (who cares??? Humvees are worse... on smooth ground...)

Is this correct so far?

Yep.
Quote:

Also, instead of using an "add-a-leaf" or something like that, could i just slap a steel spacer between the leafs and rear-end to get the desired results? or would that be too unstable?
You already have blocks. You could do a shackle which is easier to install. But your rear will probably be higher than the front. p/n is beltech 6400, it will be labeled as a chevy drop shackle, but will lift our Ranger.
Quote:

How much added stress do wheel spacers put on the axle?
Depends how much of a spacer. But I would suggest finding a wheel with the backspacing you desire.
Quote:

How long would it be before my T-Bars sagged back down? (truck has 106,xxx miles on it)
Probably not too long...
Quote:

What is the heaviest T-bar I can put in and where can I get it cheap?
#1 bars from a Level II Ranger. I believe you would need a VIN from a Level II and best bet is to just to to Ford. Someone else will probably have more info on that for you.
Quote:

If I need to replace the shocks (we'll see what the mechanic says), should I get longer ones, and what brand? Reservoir or not?
Stock length should be fine for the front. The rear you may want a longer one, but not sure if you would absolutely need it. Bilstein is usually highly recommended. The type is all dependent on how much you want to spend.

stephen.g.fiddes 02-16-2010 02:54 PM

Thanks a bunch! I got the shock absorbers today (Napa only had their version of the OEM replacements, which are better than the OEM, but not nearly as good as te higher quality ones, but it'll keep the truck going.) I'll be picking up the shackles tonight assuming Baxters or Napa has them. Just did the measurements and preview with a jack, it looks way more badass with the extra height. I'll probably invest in a better T-bar in the future.

STL 02-16-2010 03:00 PM

Make sure to have your alignment checked

Here's the part numbers for the #1 bars:
F67Z-5B326-FA Pass side
F67Z-5B326-FB Driver side

The #1 bars are vin number based in ford's computer, so if you provide them with your number, they'll give you what ever bars u have now

1FTZR45E93TA36975 2003 Level II

1FTZR45E15PA29417 2005 Level II

stephen.g.fiddes 02-17-2010 01:14 AM

Well, baxters or napa couldnt get them in for 10 days, so the rear lift is going to have to wait till i can afford new torsion bars. However, i am still going to bring the nose up a bit, and the shocks are going on tomorrow. Pix to come after its all completed.