Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   "Unauthorized vehicles prohibited" (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/79519-unauthorized-vehicles-prohibited.html)

rangerdanger77 12-15-2012 02:56 PM

"Unauthorized vehicles prohibited"

Just wondering what the consequences of getting caught breaking this "sign" are? Are they major minor? Ticket? If so how much? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRock 12-15-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangerdanger77 (Post 1149882)
Just wondering what the consequences of getting caught breaking this "sign" are? Are they major minor? Ticket? If so how much? Thanks!

Are you talking about the turn arounds on the interstate?

Smasher 12-15-2012 02:58 PM

Re: "Unauthorized vehicles prohibited"

I'd imagine it depends on country, state, township, and the cop who will bust your ass.. Most likely, as long as its not Area 51, they will give you a warning and ask you to leave..

S13minus1 12-15-2012 02:59 PM

Probably a trespassing ticket. If you're offroading it can be destruction of property. Usually you'll just get told to GTFO

rangerdanger77 12-15-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRock (Post 1149885)
Are you talking about the turn arounds on the interstate?

No I'm just wondering about little "offroad" trails around my house. They look fun but say "unauthorized motor vehicles and motorcycles prohibited" so I was just wondering how much trouble I would be in if I got caught driving on them

bear_claw_91 12-15-2012 03:04 PM

I've been threatened with destruction of property but the most I've gotten was improper lane usage lol.

rangerdanger77 12-15-2012 03:15 PM

What would be the consequences of destruction of property?

bear_claw_91 12-15-2012 03:19 PM

Probably fines, restitution, possibly community service and/or probation if they wanted to be dicks.

And if they really want to be *******s and you destroy a lot any damage totaling more than $300 can be a felony. Not that they're likely to go that route just know that it is an option for any would be prosecuter.

02BLUEdge 12-15-2012 03:45 PM

I would imagine trespassing/criminal trespass could be an issue as well. The severity could depend on who owns the property (private company, county, state, whoever). The safe bet is probably just to obey the signs.

bear_claw_91 12-15-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02BLUEdge (Post 1149927)
The safe bet is probably just to obey the signs.

X2

Sent from my iPhone

coyotpup 12-15-2012 03:47 PM

I know trails around Oregon where they can impound your rig and $2,000 fine if you drive on said trails x.x

Skylark65 12-15-2012 04:21 PM

depends on who owns the property really. like around where i live, if you disregard one of those signs on the national park land and get caught it's a few thousand dollar fine and it goes to fedral court... but other locally or privatly owned areas may let you off easyier. some places the people don't care at all. you're best bet is probibly to start by finding out who or what owns the property, and decide if the risk is worth it from there.

sgtsandman 12-15-2012 06:06 PM

Like hunting, it would be better to find out who the owner is and see if you can get permission. If they have the time. Take your time and BS for a bit. Talk about what they drive if it's there for you to see. All of that will go a long way to getting access and covering your butt. Even better, if you can get a written and signed note or letter from them stating you have permission.

OhioMike 12-15-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S13minus1 (Post 1149887)
Probably a trespassing ticket. If you're offroading it can be destruction of property. Usually you'll just get told to GTFO

I wouldn't take a chance because there is a logical reason why the sign is there to begin with. I know utility companies due to high voltage and other hazards put these type of signs up "to keep people out" for safety reasons. If something were to happen, they are not liable, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02BLUEdge (Post 1149927)
I would imagine trespassing/criminal trespass could be an issue as well. The severity could depend on who owns the property (private company, county, state, whoever). The safe bet is probably just to obey the signs.

Exactly, and signs are posted for a reason. If it were private property, I wouldn't want individuals on my land, who can be reckless or otherwise trespass with no reason other than to cause trouble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtsandman (Post 1150077)
Like hunting, it would be better to find out who the owner is and see if you can get permission. If they have the time. Take your time and BS for a bit. Talk about what they drive if it's there for you to see. All of that will go a long way to getting access and covering your butt. Even better, if you can get a written and signed note or letter from them stating you have permission.

But, in order to get permission, he would still have to break the law by trespassing. He may find that some unsympathetic owner might want to perform target practice on him, so I'd advise that he stay the hell off land that clearly has a sign posted.

sgtsandman 12-15-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifthranger (Post 1150120)
But, in order to get permission, he would still have to break the law by trespassing. He may find that some unsympathetic owner might want to perform target practice on him, so I'd advise that he stay the hell off land that clearly has a sign posted.

Not necessarily, one could check with the court house or the local municipality on who the owner is and where they live. From there, one could determine if getting permission without trespassing (or getting shot) is possible.

The comment about high voltage lines, gas lines, etc is a viable one and may be why the property is posted. If such a reason exists, I'm sure the property owner will say something when asked.

In the end, it's the owner's property, so showing respect even if you don't get the answer you want goes a long way. It might benefit you in the future and it certainly doesn't hurt to do so.