Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   How to disable PATS (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/7934-disable-pats.html)

whfd930 02-14-2010 08:39 PM

How to disable PATS

I am looking for a way to disable the PATS system, as I am trying to get away from those $100 keys. Also wanting to add a remote start system:joyman: and from what I have seen, this will cause the remote start not to work:mad:.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:adore::adore:

BigT8600 02-14-2010 09:49 PM

I hear ya. Just picked up an 04...One Key. Ford Wants $120..Locksmith in the area wants $85. Either way is a lot.

I installed car alarms, remote starts...for about 2 years working at Circuit City. Wasn't much of a way to get around this without heavy modification. The damage that can be done is probably more costly than a key. For remote start you would need a key with the chip in it for bypass relay. Whether you buy the relay or create one using thin wire wrapped around the key and a separate relay, you still need a key. It sucks but its just how its made. Just depends on the setup you go with.

But..If someone did have a way to easily bypass the system let us know!

Fx4wannabe01 02-14-2010 11:24 PM

To my knowledge and from talking to Fred @ Rogue Performance, elimination of PATS can happen with a re-written tune. BUT....that comes with the $385 tuner...

TrePaul86 02-14-2010 11:43 PM

I have remote start with my PATS system. You have to have a module programed to trick the computer into thinking a key is in the ignition upon hitting the button.

Scottg 02-15-2010 06:26 AM

ive seen remote start bypasses that make you put a spare key in the dash. So if you do that, and get regular non-pats keys, you can start it every time

TrePaul86 02-15-2010 07:24 PM

Scott, I had that setup before I had the module put in. It worked for a lil while, then the computer realized I didn't have the key in the ignition. Even so, you have to have that spare key under the dash programed with your PCM, in order for the truck to even think the key is in the ignition.

cacher 03-20-2010 11:54 PM

Re: How to disable PATS

When I was in a lockshop I always encouraged folks to make a "mechanical" copy of their responder type key (a standard blank with no chip in it) and put it in their wallet, etc., so they could simply unlock theri car to get to theri $100.00 key if they ever locked it inside. I have no ide how to disable the pats since my understanding is it might be wired into the ECM........?

I know I replaced a few of the GM ones and when you took out the ignition it had wiring from the ignition down into the steering column you had to rehook to work it.

Google "disabling ford pats system" you never know.

wilcom 11-08-2011 05:25 PM

More money has been spent replacing $200 keys than was ever saved by the anti theft device,. They should outlaw them or give you an option to disable the terrible device.

I'm going to have my truck towed to the dealer tomorrow for my $200 key plus the tow.

I will not buy another new truck with this option unless I can have it disabled on DAY ONE!!!!! What a crock of Crap

Joe Wilkerson
Riverside , Ca

Hatcher 03-17-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilcom (Post 617922)
i will not buy another new truck with this option unless i can have it disabled on day one!!!!! What a crock of crap

joe wilkerson
riverside , ca

agreed!

cacher 03-17-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatcher (Post 1308901)
agreed!

Excellent Idea!

pooleo 03-17-2013 11:12 AM

Tape the pats key under the steering column by the ignition. Then you can just use a regular key to start.

ricochet 03-17-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilcom (Post 617922)
I will not buy another new truck with this option unless I can have it disabled on DAY1

You'll have to buy a 98 or earlier. It's been a government mandate since then.

djfllmn 03-17-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricochet (Post 1309306)
You'll have to buy a 98 or earlier. It's been a government mandate since then.

actually no...GMs still come with no chipped key