Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Help!!!!! High Idle!!!! Stuck Throttle Body???? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/79183-help-idle-stuck-throttle-body.html)

Anthony96 12-11-2012 02:48 AM

Help!!!!! High Idle!!!! Stuck Throttle Body????

Wussup Folks My Names Anthony And First Things First I Just Want To Thank You Guys For Viewing This And Trying To Help In Any Way Possible. :beerglass: Kind Of A Long Story So Bare With Me!

This Is My First Truck, My First Ford Also So I Know Little To None About These Motors. The Truck Is A 96 Xlt. V6 Stick Shift.

Problem Is That It Now Has A Wierd Idle! When I Bought The Truck, It Had A Check Engine Light. I Thought Ok No Biggie Because The Truck Ran Perfectly Fine, No Rough Idle No Noises Or Anything.

First 3 Or 4 Days Of Owning The Truck Everything Was Going Good. Daily Drove It, AC On Blast Listening To Good Tunes My Little 5yr Old Brother Has Never Rode In A Cab Before So He Was Pretty Excited About That! I Was Really Starting To Like The Truck!

Then, I Almost Got Into An Accident. Some Lady Swerved Into My Lane Avoiding An Accident Herself Which Caused Me To Swerve To Avoid Her. To Make Matters Worst Roads Were Wet So I Spun Out Almost Jumping A Curb. Now Before This Truck Ive Always Drove A Honda, So The Pedal Assembly Is A Little Different To What Im Used Too I Would Say The Brake Pedal Is A Higher. So When I Went For The Brake, My Foot Went Under The Pedal. Panicking In The Heat Of The Moment I Quickly Went For The Brake Again But Also Hitting The Gas Pedal Sideways. Ever Since Leaving That Scene My Idle Gets Stuck Between 2-3k Rpms.

I Checked The Gas Pedal As Soon As I Got Home, The Throttle Body Cable From Under The Dash And The Actual Gas Pedal Had A Little Bit Of Play. Thats My Main Concern. I Also Checked The Throttle Cable In The Engine Bay, It Was Tight Nothing Funny There. Checked The Throttle Body Plate, Seemed Fine To Me But Again Ive Only Owned This Truck For 4 Days. What Do I Know!

Only Thing Ive Done To Try And Fix The Problem So Far Was Cleaning The Idle Control Assuming That Was The Problem. Only Thing That Did Was Take Away My Check Engine Light. It Gave Me Somewhat Of A Normal Idle At First Start Up But Still Pretty High Id Say About 1.4k I Thought Only Because The Truck Was Cold.

Thinking I Fixed The Problem I Went For A Little Drive And It Still Does The Same Thing. I Noticed It Backing Out The Driveway That When I Push The Gas, Thats When The Idle Gets Stuck Between 2-3k Rpm. As If My TB Plate Was Getting Stuck Because Its Not A Rough Idle Its Just High. Again, Only 4 Days. What Do I Know!

My Next Move Is The MAF Sensor. After I Rule That Out Im Going To Have A Mechanic Look At It, Funds Are Low So Thats The Last Thing I Want To Do So I Decided To Make Myself A Part Of This Forum To See If I Can Get Some Help First.

What Do You Guys Think It Is?

Any Help Ideas And Or Input Is Greatly Appreciated. Thanks! :beerglass:

Stinkbaitj 12-11-2012 08:29 AM

Not your MAF sensor. You would have a CEL for that and your engine would bairly run.

Throttle position sensor possibly?

Also, the play where the pedal pulls the throttle cable is normal. That cable becomes stretched over time. Search " throttle cable mod" and it should pull up a how to for it.

--1993 ford ranger ext cab 3.0 v6--

Anthony96 12-11-2012 03:38 PM

Re: Help!!!!! High Idle!!!! Stuck Throttle Body????

Forsure Thanks Im Going To Check Up On That Right Now

Anthony96 12-11-2012 09:18 PM

Where Is The Tps At?

Anthony96 12-12-2012 07:07 PM

Anybody Else Have Ideas?

reconjb 12-12-2012 07:17 PM

Did you check the spring mechanism on the throttle body to see if it got caught up on something?

sent from my IPod using the FRF app

Griffin05edge 12-12-2012 07:20 PM

Throttle positioning sensor I would think. My trucks throttle would stick sometimes as well and idle high. It did it really bad when I had the a/c on. Changed the TPS and it stopped idling high and sticking

Anthony96 12-14-2012 08:03 AM

Tps Issue With No CEL?

Griffin05edge 12-15-2012 12:50 PM

My CEL light was off when this happened to me.

oldcrowalki 12-15-2012 01:01 PM

Off topic and not trying to be a jerk---I have a 'caps' lock key, but how do you capitalize the first letter of every word?

Stinkbaitj 12-15-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcrowalki (Post 1149806)
Off topic and not trying to be a jerk---I have a 'caps' lock key, but how do you capitalize the first letter of every word?

Space bar?

zmister11 12-16-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinkbaitj

Space bar?

Lmao