Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   O2 Sensor / System too Rich Fault Codes, Seems to be running fine?? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/78348-o2-sensor-system-rich-fault-codes-running-fine.html)

metallicamaster3 11-30-2012 06:11 PM

O2 Sensor / System too Rich Fault Codes, Seems to be running fine??

Code:

P1132 - Powertrain
Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank 1

P1152 - Powertrain
Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank 2

P0172 - Powertrain
System too Rich (Bank 1)

P0175 - Powertrain
System too Rich (Bank 2)

Those four fault codes just will not go away. I've replaced all O2 sensors, replaced the EGR Pressure Sensor. cleaned the MAF (which wasn't that old anyway, and wasn't dirty at all), and replaced the old spark plugs. I've also read that sometimes the OEM alternator causes voltage irregularities which could cause the injectors to fire too much fuel, so I replaced that as well. After 150 miles the fault codes still keep coming back every 20 miles or so. I pulled the plugs and they are running perfectly - no white residue (if it ran lean) and no black buildup (if it ran rich).

Here's a picture of the spark plug from cylinder 4 after 150 miles,

http://i.imgur.com/AXK59.jpg

As you can see it's running just fine. There's no signs of the motor running rich at all - no lack of power, no smoke from the exhaust, etc.

What else could it be? Bad MAF? Bad PCM? After $135 for the alternator, $60 for each O2 sensor, $62 for the EGR pressure sensor, funds to keep throwing parts at it are getting dry. :confused:

Gas mileage is pretty average, getting about 12-13mpg around the neighborhood and around town.

Just trying to get this bloody CEL to go away. :mad:

:beerglass::beerglass::beerglass: all around to the one who can figure what what's going on here!

Rangerman49 11-30-2012 08:19 PM

Re: O2 Sensor / System too Rich Fault Codes, Seems to be running fine??

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicamaster3 (Post 1122929)
Code:

P1132 - Powertrain
Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank 1

P1152 - Powertrain
Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank 2

P0172 - Powertrain
System too Rich (Bank 1)

P0175 - Powertrain
System too Rich (Bank 2)

Those four fault codes just will not go away. I've replaced all O2 sensors, replaced the EGR Pressure Sensor. cleaned the MAF (which wasn't that old anyway, and wasn't dirty at all), and replaced the old spark plugs. I've also read that sometimes the OEM alternator causes voltage irregularities which could cause the injectors to fire too much fuel, so I replaced that as well. After 150 miles the fault codes still keep coming back every 20 miles or so. I pulled the plugs and they are running perfectly - no white residue (if it ran lean) and no black buildup (if it ran rich).

Here's a picture of the spark plug from cylinder 4 after 150 miles,

http://i.imgur.com/AXK59.jpg

As you can see it's running just fine. There's no signs of the motor running rich at all - no lack of power, no smoke from the exhaust, etc.

What else could it be? Bad MAF? Bad PCM? After $135 for the alternator, $60 for each O2 sensor, $62 for the EGR pressure sensor, funds to keep throwing parts at it are getting dry. :confused:

Gas mileage is pretty average, getting about 12-13mpg around the neighborhood and around town.

Just trying to get this bloody CEL to go away. :mad:

:beerglass::beerglass::beerglass: all around to the one who can figure what what's going on here!

The codes are counter intuitive, so P1132 and P1152 are telling the ECM that the engine is running rich, the ECM will command the injectors lean mixture as indicated by the look of the sparkplug...A little scary in fact!!! Running too lean can melt pistons!!

What you need to do is take a deep breath and not throw anymore parts at it.... Rent or buy a scanner that reads live data so you can see if the O2 sensors are in fact working like they should...

We are all going to need alot more info about your truck, ie, Engine, Trans ,rear gearing ,4WD or 2WD and Year ...to really help you..!!

metallicamaster3 11-30-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerman49 (Post 1123237)
The codes are counter intuitive, so P1132 and P1152 are telling the ECM that the engine is running rich, the ECM will command the injectors lean mixture as indicated by the look of the sparkplug...A little scary in fact!!! Running too lean can melt pistons!!

What you need to do is take a deep breath and not throw anymore parts at it.... Rent or buy a scanner that reads live data so you can see if the O2 sensors are in fact working like they should...

We are all going to need alot more info about your truck, ie, Engine, Trans ,rear gearing ,4WD or 2WD and Year ...to really help you..!!

That spark plug is completely clean, it isn't running lean (or rich) at all. They're all good burning plugs.

I have a scanner that can read PID data. The O2 sensors are brand new and are functioning correctly according to the PID data.

It's a 2001 base model. Transmission and rear end aren't even nearly related so I figured it was unnecessary information. Since you asked, though, it's an automatic with 3.73 rear end, 2WD.

Rangerman49 11-30-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicamaster3 (Post 1123260)
That spark plug is completely clean, it isn't running lean (or rich) at all. They're all good burning plugs.

I have a scanner that can read PID data. The O2 sensors are brand new and are functioning correctly according to the PID data.

It's a 2001 base model. Transmission and rear end aren't even nearly related so I figured it was unnecessary information. Since you asked, though, it's an automatic with 3.73 rear end, 2WD.

OK, so your O2 sensors are switching ,correct????
And you MAF sensor reading???
Engine type.??
The MAF sensors are NOT the same between the various engine as they have different calibration curves.

metallicamaster3 11-30-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerman49 (Post 1123292)
OK, so your O2 sensors are switching ,correct????
And you MAF sensor reading???
Engine type.??
The MAF sensors are NOT the same between the various engine as they have different calibration curves.

Just ordered a new MAF, should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. It was reading 1.24cfm with the truck off?

Here's some PID data. O2 sensors are switching correctly. It's a non-FFV 3.0 Vulcan.

Running:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...0-22-34-11.png

Bank 2, Sensor 2 always stays at 1.27v. There's only 3 O2 sensors on my truck. Any ideas?

O2 sensor data graph (shows everything normal):

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...0-22-44-46.png

The fault codes:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...0-18-24-59.png

Rangerman49 11-30-2012 11:10 PM

O2 sensor bank 2 ,sensor 2 ... is way too high!!!
There's a conflict between sensor 1 and 2 on bank 2...
0.15 = lean and 0.85 = rich

Bank 1 looks fine....Bank 2 running rich..

metallicamaster3 11-30-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerman49 (Post 1123481)
O2 sensor bank 2 ,sensor 2 ... is way too high!!!
There's a conflict between sensor 1 and 2 on bank 2...
0.15 = lean and 0.85 = rich

Bank 1 looks fine....Bank 2 running rich..

Thing is, there's only three O2 sensors. Two upstream and one downstream. The exhaust is not factory, I believe.

And the fault codes are saying that both banks are indicating rich. No idea why it's saying "lack of heated upstream oxygen sensor switch", as if it thinks there's no O2 sensors on there at all?? :confused:

Rangerman49 12-01-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicamaster3 (Post 1123490)
Thing is, there's only three O2 sensors. Two upstream and one downstream. The exhaust is not factory, I believe.

And the fault codes are saying that both banks are indicating rich. No idea why it's saying "lack of heated upstream oxygen sensor switch", as if it thinks there's no O2 sensors on there at all?? :confused:

If sensor 2 bank 2 stays at 1.27v, it's dead or there's something going on with the wires for that sensor. You could disconnect it and see if it falls to 0v.
Your base voltage is 0.45v and will swing as high as 0.85v and as low as 0.15v.
I would take a look at long term and short term fuel trims too, to see whats going on there too.

----------

On a stock exhaust system on fords on all the V6s that I've seen, there should be four O2s, two up stream and 2 down stream of each CAT.
I tell you I'm confused !!

FireRanger 12-01-2012 12:15 PM

Wait a minute. Lets back up here. Look at the information you've posted. You've shown that a non-existent sensor is reporting an overly rich condition to the computer. And you're trying to correct that overly rich condition. Hello. You're trying to fix something that doesn't exist!!!

I can tell you EXACTLY what is going on here:

You have a fourth oxygen sensor that isn't hooked up due to your aftermarket exhaust system. It's either dangling down somewhere, or the wires are taped off and corroding with water in them. This is resulting in the computer receiving what it interprets as an extremely rich condition on that sensor's circuit. This is causing the P0175 in bank 2.

Due to this false rich condition, the computer is leaning out the fuel trim to it's maximum limits. This is why those plugs look so clean with no fuel on them, you're engine is running dangerously lean. Shit is going to start going fukushima in there soon.

With fuel trim leaned out all the way, the sensor is still reading the same rich condition. That is what is meant by switching, or in this case, not switching. The computer was expecting to see a change (switch) in a certain amount of time and that change did not happen. This is what is causing the P1152 in bank 2. This code isn't because it is running rich. It is because it isn't changing.

So, before you do anything else, you need to find the sensor or the wires for your "missing" Bank 2 #2 sensor. For now, you should disconnect whatever is on it, clean off the ends and makes sure the wires are not damaged or broken. Tape it up and leave it disconnected. Disconnect the battery for a while to erase it's memory and see what it relearns. It will detect the sensor isn't there, which is fine. That is better than detecting bad information.

Redneckstone 12-01-2012 12:21 PM

Yes that plug is lean it should have some soot

http://www.motorcycleforums.net/foru...gcondition.jpg

metallicamaster3 12-01-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerman49 (Post 1123943)
If sensor 2 bank 2 stays at 1.27v, it's dead or there's something going on with the wires for that sensor. You could disconnect it and see if it falls to 0v.
Your base voltage is 0.45v and will swing as high as 0.85v and as low as 0.15v.
I would take a look at long term and short term fuel trims too, to see whats going on there too.

----------

On a stock exhaust system on fords on all the V6s that I've seen, there should be four O2s, two up stream and 2 down stream of each CAT.
I tell you I'm confused !!

Right - that's what I mean, Bank 2 Sensor 2 doesn't exist. Where should it exist on a stock system, so I can look for any wires?? Further back on the exhaust? If it falls to 0v then it should just detect that there's no O2 sensor and give me a fault code for that - if I'm understanding correctly - and will stop trying to correct an over-rich condition that doesn't exist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 1124013)
Wait a minute. Lets back up here. Look at the information you've posted. You've shown that a non-existent sensor is reporting an overly rich condition to the computer. And you're trying to correct that overly rich condition. Hello. You're trying to fix something that doesn't exist!!!

I can tell you EXACTLY what is going on here:

You have a fourth oxygen sensor that isn't hooked up due to your aftermarket exhaust system. It's either dangling down somewhere, or the wires are taped off and corroding with water in them. This is resulting in the computer receiving what it interprets as an extremely rich condition on that sensor's circuit. This is causing the P0175 in bank 2.

Due to this false rich condition, the computer is leaning out the fuel trim to it's maximum limits. This is why those plugs look so clean with no fuel on them, you're engine is running dangerously lean. Shit is going to start going fukushima in there soon.

With fuel trim leaned out all the way, the sensor is still reading the same rich condition. That is what is meant by switching, or in this case, not switching. The computer was expecting to see a change (switch) in a certain amount of time and that change did not happen. This is what is causing the P1152 in bank 2. This code isn't because it is running rich. It is because it isn't changing.

So, before you do anything else, you need to find the sensor or the wires for your "missing" Bank 2 #2 sensor. For now, you should disconnect whatever is on it, clean off the ends and makes sure the wires are not damaged or broken. Tape it up and leave it disconnected. Disconnect the battery for a while to erase it's memory and see what it relearns. It will detect the sensor isn't there, which is fine. That is better than detecting bad information.

On it!!! :eek::cheers:

Thank you!! There's some pinging now that I think about it, so I think you're right on all accounts! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneckstone (Post 1124022)
Yes that plug is lean it should have some soot

http://www.motorcycleforums.net/foru...gcondition.jpg

Gotcha! Going out to look for the phantom O2 sensor now!

metallicamaster3 12-01-2012 01:35 PM

Can't find any wires or anything after the Bank 1 Sensor 2 (plugged into the cat and functioning properly).

Bank 2 sensor 2 is still reading 1.27v constantly. Where can I look in the wiring under the hood to maybe just snip those wires out completely??

metallicamaster3 12-01-2012 02:24 PM

Here is me looking for the phantom O2 sensor...

http://youtu.be/dt8z2vstH2w

----------

According to absolutely everywhere, my 3.0 truck is only supposed to have 3 O2 sensors... :confused:

FireRanger 12-01-2012 02:29 PM

What engine do you have?

metallicamaster3 12-01-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 1124228)
What engine do you have?

Non-FFV 3.0