Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   can u get a euro ranger shipped to the usa (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/7687-euro-ranger-shipped-usa.html)

frodeezy 02-10-2010 07:27 PM

can u get a euro ranger shipped to the usa

i was just wondering if u could get a euro ranger shiped to the usa. i never really wonderd why ford never came out with the 4 doors over here. all other manufacters in the compact market make a 4 door. i no theres laws over in europe\mexico that differ from the US.

dixie_boysles 02-10-2010 07:36 PM

Prolly not or it would have already been done. I don't think it passes saftey ane emissions standards

RangerJustin 02-10-2010 07:38 PM

Lots of paperwork and testing. Different EPA and safety standards.

richarddhoward 02-10-2010 07:42 PM

I'm sure you can get one sent to the States. The issue is making it legal to US DOT laws, crash safety, emissions, etc. But shipping one stateside really isn't any different then shipping a car to Hawaii if you moved there. Look at the R32 and R34 Nissan Skyline. It can be done, but at what cost I couldn't say.

Tom 02-11-2010 01:14 AM

Basically as said above, yes it is possible, but it requires a lot of paper work and will probably be quite expensive.

[S3V3NS] 02-11-2010 02:38 PM

http://jalopnik.com/5464201/viva-los...xican-focus-rs

Here is an example of somebody bringing a european car to America via Mexico. This guy has a LOT of money. That is the only way you can make it happen. The only other thing I can think of is MILITARY. A lot of folks bring back cars/bikes/etc. My folks brought back 2 enduro Kawasaki bikes from Japan along with a load of electronics. There were some import taxes on the bikes but it was still cheaper than waiting until they got back to the states and buying the same bikes here. This was in like 1981 though. So contact you favorite jarhead and maybe you can work something out. Oh, my brother is in the air force and was stationed in Germany, he wanted to import a MKII VW Golf GTI but decided against it because he'd have to have the American suspension installed to make it legal. The German suspension is the best part of that car, so there was really no point.

davidjsouth 02-11-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJustin (Post 68032)
Lots of paperwork and testing. Different EPA and safety standards.

It's not worth the hassle. It will cost a fortune to import and upgrade to emissions standards.

annguyen1981 02-11-2010 05:44 PM

Anything is possible if you have enough money and time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [S3V3NS] (Post 68454)
http://jalopnik.com/5464201/viva-los...xican-focus-rs

Here is an example of somebody bringing a european car to America via Mexico. This guy has a LOT of money. That is the only way you can make it happen. The only other thing I can think of is MILITARY. A lot of folks bring back cars/bikes/etc. My folks brought back 2 enduro Kawasaki bikes from Japan along with a load of electronics. There were some import taxes on the bikes but it was still cheaper than waiting until they got back to the states and buying the same bikes here. This was in like 1981 though. So contact you favorite jarhead and maybe you can work something out. Oh, my brother is in the air force and was stationed in Germany, he wanted to import a MKII VW Golf GTI but decided against it because he'd have to have the American suspension installed to make it legal. The German suspension is the best part of that car, so there was really no point.

What would the suspension have to do with the legalization of the vehicle? Just wondering? I've never heard of that before.... just emissions and safety.

jeffrey23 02-11-2010 07:36 PM

not every state has an emissions teat to pass inspection, maine dosnt, so if your state does not require you to hook up to an computer when you get inspected, there is one less problem

Smokey 02-11-2010 07:38 PM

No emission tests here as well. I have seen maybe like 15 of the 4 doors in my city alone.

richarddhoward 02-11-2010 09:44 PM

The problem is not state emissions. You have to pass Federal emissions standards. State emissions are the least part of it.

And what would the suspension have to do with a car being legal here? Unless you have something completely dangerous. If you really want the same German suspension here you probably just need to take it off the car and ship it here. I had a buddy with an S15 Silvia bring it over from Japan through the Navy, but it also is an older car that doesn't need to meet the emissions standards federally is what I was told.

360sam 02-12-2010 12:32 AM

I'd imagine it'd be easier to get a mexican ranger than a euro 4 door one.

richarddhoward 02-12-2010 12:33 AM

You have the diesel though. Way cooler than a Mexican 4 door with a 2.3l gas.

360sam 02-12-2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richarddhoward (Post 69056)
You have the diesel though. Way cooler than a Mexican 4 door with a 2.3l gas.

Yes and if you got it from france or spain you'd get the left hand drive version.

aftermathranger 02-12-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audible Odyssey (Post 68722)
No emission tests here as well. I have seen maybe like 15 of the 4 doors in my city alone.

wanna ask one of them what they would sell it to me for and pm me the price. i am looking for one of these to build for sema and everytime i have a deal ready to go through for mexico it falls through