Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   How Often Do You Change Coil Pack? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/74940-change-coil-pack.html)

Squddle 10-19-2012 08:47 AM

How Often Do You Change Coil Pack?

Getting the truck ready for winter and was wondering about the coil pack? Is it something that only needs to be changed out when it goes bad, or is it something that should be changed after so many miles?
So far no problems with it, but I will be changing the spark plugs, and wires.
Thanks!
...Squddle...:santaclaus:

reconjb 10-19-2012 08:49 AM

Usually just when it goes bad

sent from my IPod using the FRF app

Acroma 10-19-2012 09:15 AM

Re: How Often Do You Change Coil Pack?

I had to change mine at 69k miles because it wasn't firing on #2. But usually just when it goes bad.

Squddle 10-19-2012 11:44 AM

OK Thanks!
I just got a code that said the #2 was misfiring. Wasn't sure if it was the plugs, wires, or the coil pack. I'll use a timing light to try to find out what's up.

mopar9012 10-20-2012 09:41 AM

Id just replace the plugs and wires if you havent done it I'm a while. If youre still having the misfire after that, probably the coil pack. I had to change my coil at 190k. I have no idea if the previous owner ever replaced it, the old one looked like the original.

SVT2.3 10-20-2012 11:52 AM

I'm going to change mine probably next pay, its the original one and I might as well change it before it leaves me stranded somewhere this winter. Coil packs usually only need changed if they go bad, but I once read where some automaker recommended every 5-7 years change the coil pack.

FireRanger 10-20-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squddle (Post 1058816)
OK Thanks!
I just got a code that said the #2 was misfiring. Wasn't sure if it was the plugs, wires, or the coil pack. I'll use a timing light to try to find out what's up.

Start the with cheapest, easiest, and most likely first. Then work your way back.

1) Plugs
2) Wires
3) Coil Pack

mopar9012 10-20-2012 12:34 PM

Just for the record, when my coil pack went bad, it didn't leave me stranded, just drove like crap.

Muscleford 10-20-2012 12:36 PM

I had a misfire code on a Jeep Liberty and AZ recommended some fuel injector cleaner and that cleared up the problem. I would try that before I replaced a coil pack.

wildcat21 10-21-2012 06:48 PM

on my ranger my truck misses/ hesitates till about 3200rpms in third gear, could that be the coil pack? after that point it runs like a champ

Dksmoke 10-22-2012 12:37 PM

its your coil pack in my opinion my did the same thing

wildcat21 10-26-2012 07:02 PM

but im getting p0171, p0174 and p0102 codes. all point too maf problem. im replacing maf tomorrow and then going coil pack if maf doesnt fix it.

FCKing 10-29-2012 08:15 PM

Eric,
On the coil pack making your ranger run like crap, Exactly what did it do. My 2002 Ranger Edge, has a problem with that when you get up to a certain RPM it starts cutting out like a fuel filter problem. But changing the fuel filter didn't help. My next thing to look at was the coil pack???

mopar9012 10-30-2012 06:41 AM

If I recall correctly, the truck would idle fine but when I would get to a certain RPM to would jolt/sputter really bad but it never shut down or anything. I drove it to work that morning and fixed it at work. lol. I would buy a coil pack and see if it fixes the problem. If it doesnt, return it. Theres no way the guy at the parts store will tell if you used it or not.

MossyOakD 10-30-2012 11:56 AM

You should really only have to change it when it goes bad. I'm going to change my plugs and wires soon to see if it helps my missing problem, if that doesn't help it I'm changing the coil pack.

Start with the cheapest thing first.