Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exhaust and Mufflers (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/)
-   -   Just not sure... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/7446-just-not-sure.html)

BigT8600 02-06-2010 09:36 PM

Just not sure...

I'm new to the forum. I searched but didn't find a definite enough answer to make a decision on my problem.

Purchased 04 Ranger with 100K Miles.

Got a good deal on it so I dealt with a couple problems.

Mainly I am dealing with a few C.E. codes.

P0420, P0430, Book 1 & 2 Efficency Below Limit
&
P1336 Misfire Monitor Hardware (CMP) Misaligned

So...I have been told that I need new cats in order to get rid of the first 2 codes. Is this a pretty safe assumption?

I have no idea what to do with the Misfire code...Advice?

Thanks in advance.

richarddhoward 02-07-2010 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtt8600 (Post 65162)
I'm new to the forum. I searched but didn't find a definite enough answer to make a decision on my problem.

Purchased 04 Ranger with 100K Miles.

Got a good deal on it so I dealt with a couple problems.

Mainly I am dealing with a few C.E. codes.

P0420, P0430, Book 1 & 2 Efficency Below Limit
&
P1336 Misfire Monitor Hardware (CMP) Misaligned

So...I have been told that I need new cats in order to get rid of the first 2 codes. Is this a pretty safe assumption?

I have no idea what to do with the Misfire code...Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Clean you MAF and see if it clears up the codes

BigT8600 02-07-2010 07:33 AM

MAF..Mass Airflow sensor? What should I clean it with? Carb cleaner?

Thanks.

STL 02-07-2010 07:36 AM

Clean it with mass air flow sensor cleaner. You can find it at any auto store please ignore the horsepower gain claim

http://image.gmhightechperformance.c...or_cleaner.jpg

richarddhoward 02-07-2010 11:13 AM

ditto on the MAF cleaner. The hp gain claim is dumb! They do that with everything to try and get you to buy it. I hate it

BigT8600 02-08-2010 06:56 PM

Sounds like a plan. I feel like my mileage is crappy. Maybe this can help a little.

BigT8600 02-09-2010 06:58 PM

So I went to the store today. Bought the cleaner. After dinner I braved the cold and took off the MAF. The electrodes or whatever they are called were filthy. In between the electrodes was a lot of little debris that had built up. Couldn't get it out with the spray but had a pick set and was able to break it up. A little more spray and blowing later, it came out. Put it back in, put my negative battery cable back on and started it up. Idled smoother. Usually has a blurp every couple of seconds. Check engine light is gone...for now. I'm sure its a result of resetting the light be disconnecting the battery but time will tell. I was getting 15.2 mpg before the cleaning. So in a couple days I will calculate if it helped my mileage. Thanks guys.

Johnbaum13 02-09-2010 07:20 PM

What engine do you have? If the 3.0, I would suggest checking the cam sensor, they tend to be problematic.

BigT8600 02-09-2010 10:22 PM

Yeh...3.0. Where is the cam sensor located and what do i check for? Some type of voltage or something?

BigT8600 02-11-2010 04:01 PM

Check engine light came on after about 30 miles of driving. I really dont wanna replace the Cats! looks like I might have to though.

richarddhoward 02-11-2010 09:49 PM

Hmmm....What's your air filter look like? Do you have a cold air intake with a oil bath filter? It seems way to early to me to be replacing cats on your truck. My truck is almost 13 years old and I spend lots of time idling because of cold and my cats are still original. Have you tried checking wiring to?

BigT8600 02-12-2010 09:36 PM

Filter is a K&N replacement filter. No cold air, just the filter in the original setup. Wouldnt know what wiring to check to be honest. Im fully capable to do so but not even sure I wanna put forth the effort. The truck runs great, idles smotthly, even in the below freezing temps weve had the past month. I get 16 miles a gallon...could be better but Its not awful. I mean, I just dont have the cash to put new cats on this thing.

RangerGurl04 02-13-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnbaum13 (Post 67027)
What engine do you have? If the 3.0, I would suggest checking the cam sensor, they tend to be problematic.

Like he said, check the cam sensor just to be sure. Also, if you shop around online you should be able to find some cats for a decent price and do the work yourself to save on labor. That's my opinion at least.

BigT8600 02-13-2010 08:31 PM

Not sure where the cam sensor is. Changed plugs today and also cleaned the throttle body, still have light on but it runs smoother.
Thanks for the help!

richarddhoward 02-14-2010 11:42 PM

I get 16 mpg city in mine. I wouldn't be to worried about 16 mpg unless that's your empty freeway mileage too driving like a Grandma.