Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   Truck starts then shuts off (video) (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/72876-truck-starts-shuts-video.html)

anthem 09-26-2012 05:39 AM

Truck starts then shuts off (video)

So I started up today and the idle was really weird then it just up and shut off after a few seconds and wont run. the check gas gauge light comes on if I turn the keys to on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkzK...ature=youtu.be

Im guessing the fuel pump or filter maybe?

ranger024x4 09-26-2012 05:48 AM

Re: Truck starts then shuts off (video)

any mods on the truck? like an aftermarket intake?

Mattygb2128 09-26-2012 06:10 AM

Do you have an anti-theft system?? You may have to get a new chipkey made for about $75-100. Can be made at ACE Hardware or Ford Dealer. Same thing has happened to many of us on here.

anthem 09-26-2012 06:56 AM

No mods at all, yes I do have the alarm system, would it realy be the key? I should try the spare when i get home.

----------

No mods at all, Would it really be the laser cut key?

ranger024x4 09-26-2012 07:03 AM

I could be wrong, but i always thought the key would either work or not. not just start the truck and have it run weird. also, if it was a security key issue, wouldnt the anti-theft light be flipping out?

anthem 09-26-2012 07:06 AM

I tried the spare key and it still shuts off.

HazardousRanger 09-26-2012 07:09 AM

fuel filter is a cheap 20 dollar part. i have never had it actually start up when it happens to me but its worth a try. under the passenger kick panel (you can see it if you look under) is a button that is red (on top of a black tube) push and HOLD that for ten seconds, see if that helps. it probably wont though... give it a shot

anthem 09-26-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HazardousRanger (Post 1033310)
fuel filter is a cheap 20 dollar part. i have never had it actually start up when it happens to me but its worth a try. under the passenger kick panel (you can see it if you look under) is a button that is red (on top of a black tube) push and HOLD that for ten seconds, see if that helps. it probably wont though... give it a shot

I'll try that when I get home, I'm at work now trying to find a ride when I get off.

----------

Oh, my idle has been kinda rough and has gotten worse the past week if that helps diagnose.

----------

The idle has been kinda rough and had gotten a little worse this week if that helps.

ranger024x4 09-26-2012 07:40 AM

clean the maf and iac. also could be a vac leak

anthem 09-26-2012 07:51 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the CEL and Check Gas Gauge light's come on when I turn the key to on.

Spidey2011 09-26-2012 07:55 AM

Replace the fuel filter first, then I'd try the fuel pump. I have a Silverado 2500 that did everything from rough idle to stalling when the fuel pump was going out.

anthem 09-26-2012 09:35 AM

I'd have to drop the tank to get to the pump don't I, if that is the case.

Mattygb2128 09-26-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger024x4
I could be wrong, but i always thought the key would either work or not. not just start the truck and have it run weird. also, if it was a security key issue, wouldnt the anti-theft light be flipping out?

Nope, sometimes it runs the truck for a good couple minutes before it shuts off...sometimes it wont start...sometimes its 15-30 seconds before it shuts off...that good ol' 90s technology.

When it first happened to me, it ran for about 2-3 minutes...randomly shut off....then it wouldnt run again for about 6 hours (tried it every 1/2 hour or so) and then it ran for like 15 seconds again then died...found the answer online but i was flipping out thinking it was fuel filter and the fuel filter was brand new, or the fuel pump, etc...

Mine worked with the spare.

anthem 09-26-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattygb2128 (Post 1033587)
Nope, sometimes it runs the truck for a good couple minutes before it shuts off...sometimes it wont start...sometimes its 15-30 seconds before it shuts off...that good ol' 90s technology.

When it first happened to me, it ran for about 2-3 minutes...randomly shut off....then it wouldnt run again for about 6 hours (tried it every 1/2 hour or so) and then it ran for like 15 seconds again then died...found the answer online but i was flipping out thinking it was fuel filter and the fuel filter was brand new, or the fuel pump, etc...

Mine worked with the spare.

would you think maybe it was the ignition instead of the key's? the main key I use was the spare and the spare is the well worn key the previous owner used but neither are working. The alarm isnt acting any differently though.

Spidey2011 09-26-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthem (Post 1033478)
I'd have to drop the tank to get to the pump don't I, if that is the case.

No. It's usually easier to pull the bed rather than drop the tank. That's what I did.