Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Fog Lights and Highbeams (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/72511-fog-lights-highbeams.html)

Artemis 09-22-2012 11:35 PM

Fog Lights and Highbeams

I am currently installing some new 12V 55W fog lights to my 02 3L ranger. I heard from a friend that in some vehicles when you put on the fog lights you can't have the high beams on as well or you could risk melting the wiring harness or doing damage??? just wondering if this is true and if it is then is the ford ranger one of these vehicles with that issue? simply put, can i have my fog lights on at the same time as my high beams? I may never use the combo of foggers and highbeams at once but I will most likely forget to turn off the the foggers before turning on my highbeams. kinda a lame question but it was nagging at me for some time so ya just bear with me. thanks for any replys.

Retroboy1989 09-22-2012 11:47 PM

If they are wired properly, you will not have a problem. Don't tie into the high beam circuit as your power source. You power supply for the new lights should be directly from the battery.

TerrenceStuart 09-23-2012 06:39 AM

Re: Fog Lights and Highbeams

it's not that the wiring harness will get too hot, or melt, it's because state laws say a vehicle cannot have high beams and fogs on at the same time. That's why.
so, go for it, if you want both highs and fogs on at the same time.

Dakota261 09-23-2012 07:05 AM

Ditto about the state law.....fog lights are factory wired to operate with low beams when turned on. If you go to high beams they then go out. I find the lights to be extemely useful in foggy and snowy road driving conditions. They are very effective for improving vision and help to increase your line of site in these conditions. Having them wired with your Hi beams will make them ineffective under the above adverse driving conditions. You could wire them into your running / park lites if you want them on all the time.......but I really like mine to operate properly when I really need them......and if I want them on more often I just flip the switch. Hope this helps.:D

The Twanksta 09-23-2012 07:12 AM

From the factory my fogs turn on with running lights, by I also have a switch on my radio console if I don't want them on.

dvrich 09-23-2012 07:26 AM

Since using high beams in fog makes visibility worse, why would anyone want the brights and high beams on at the same time for any reason?
That would be incredibly stupid.

CitySlick 09-23-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvrich (Post 1030569)
Since using high beams in fog makes visibility worse, why would anyone want the brights and high beams on at the same time for any reason?
That would be incredibly stupid.

because people use fog lights while not in fog.... more light. especially with the shitty ranger lights. i for one always drive with my fog lights on. makes driving at night easier.

Saves 09-23-2012 11:07 AM

yeah driving with just the low beams plus the fogs makes visibility better, but having foglights on at the same time as high beams isnt ideal for visibilty. reason being the foglights splash alot of light very close to the truck, making the road very bright. that much light up close will take away from distance visibility, which is the whole point your turning on your high beams in the first place.

think of it like looking out the window of your house at night, can you see better with the light in the room on or off? same principle.

CitySlick 09-23-2012 11:15 AM

I find it way nicer with fogs on an high beams.

With the high beams on it turns off the low beams. This yo barely have any light near the truck. Fogs fill that void.

Ranger headlights are shit on high beams. I need my fogs on to have enough light to be comfortable driving especially down the back roads.

Personal preference I guess.

mazdaman 09-23-2012 11:25 AM

Running fogs with the high beams gives you light fill on the shoulder and the other side if the road . I run like this all the time