Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Bad throw out bearing? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/7221-bad-throw-bearing.html)

ObsoleteE 02-03-2010 07:06 PM

Bad throw out bearing?

I am pretty sure this is the throw out bearing. When releasing the clutch on my 99 2500, I hear a squeak. I am completely fine with this, but will it get worse or cause harm? If I go ahead and fix this, I will obviously add a clutch at the same time. Is this a DIY project? I have decent mechanical skills and I imagine a RWD inline motor is the easiest thing to work on. I have another vehicle so I can take my time. Any input is much appreciated.

ObsoleteE 02-03-2010 08:34 PM

bumpity

ObsoleteE 02-04-2010 03:46 PM

anyone?

ObsoleteE 02-09-2010 08:28 PM

Bump!

byrdi 02-11-2010 02:15 PM

yes that does sound like your throw out bearing to me... And anyone with any mechanical skills can do it.. it's pretty simple.. the hardest part to me was disconnecting the clutch line.. It has a little white sleeve thing you have to push in to the right spot then pull the line apart.. You'll see what i'm talkin about.. It's about a 3-4 hr job

Fx4wannabe01 02-12-2010 04:25 AM

usually, t/o bearings 'rumble' when you're sitting idling in neutral without the pedal pushed in. You can't hear it rumble otherwise thanks to road noise. They don't squeek....though they may 'squeel'.

if it's a squeek an it's coming from the inside the truck, it's the master cylinder. If it's in the trans, it's the slave cyl. VERY common thing to go out on these trucks is the slave cyl. Usually they just take a shit and you can't shift and it gets hard to shift, no pedal pressure.

Mechanically inclined? Yeah you can do it. Get yourself a Chilton's or Haynes manual. It gives you about all you need to do the tranny drop/clutch swap. And... Don't forget to change your slave cyl!!!

robsranger 02-12-2010 10:06 AM

OK i will say this much had the same problem BUT my lazy azz didnt feel like doing myself so i took it to the shop was the throw out bearing and cost me 640 to have all fixed but thats new clutch kit slave cylinder new flywheel and labor i feel like i got a hell of a deal for what im paying. BUT BUT BUT and i cant say it enough watch out for the crooks if you decide to take it to a shop i had 1 shop tell my 980 plus tax just to replace the clutch, slave and resurface the flywheel and this shop was 1 block away from where im getting my truck fixed.

ObsoleteE 02-12-2010 04:51 PM

I am going to shop around, thanks for the input guys. If I don't find a deal I like, I'll tackle it one weekend with a friend and a 30 pack.

Fx4wannabe01 02-12-2010 05:19 PM

shop for parts locally IMO. ESPECIALLY the slave. Lifetime Warranty's FTW! lol.

$80 slave w/ t/o
$200 or so clutch kit
$30 flywheel resurface

that about covers it. lol.

jiffrig 02-24-2010 08:43 PM

:joyman:whats a bumb that every one dose

ObsoleteE 02-25-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiffrig (Post 78283)
:joyman:whats a bumb that every one dose

Huh?

SCRATCHBGONE 02-26-2010 05:03 AM

I did my clutch 6 months ago centerforce 280 resurface flywheel 30 master and slave 120 cut knuckles PRICELESS LOL

ObsoleteE 02-26-2010 04:45 PM

I got a quote as low as 600 so I'll be going there when the clutch starts slipping. I got quotes as high as 1000 too. Damn robbers.

Salasb 03-05-2010 11:38 AM

Re: Bad throw out bearing?

I just recently replaced my clutch. Like Fx4wannabe01 said

Clutch was about $250
Resurface was $30
and labor was $190,

but how long was the squeak? My truck would make a quick squeak when I would release the clutch, that was caused by the worn disc trying to grab the flywheel. If it squeaks while it's idleing with the clutch released, and you can hear it coming from the front of the tranny, then yeah, you definately need a clutch job.

Trucker 08-28-2011 03:04 PM

Re: Bad throw out bearing?

Ya but how do you replace the throw out bearing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrdi (Post 68429)
yes that does sound like your throw out bearing to me... And anyone with any mechanical skills can do it.. it's pretty simple.. the hardest part to me was disconnecting the clutch line.. It has a little white sleeve thing you have to push in to the right spot then pull the line apart.. You'll see what i'm talkin about.. It's about a 3-4 hr job