Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Other Engine Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/other-engine-tech/)
-   -   Platinum vs. Double Platinum Plugs (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/other-engine-tech/68562-platinum-vs-double-platinum-plugs.html)

Mattygb2128 08-09-2012 04:36 PM

Platinum vs. Double Platinum Plugs

For people with experience using BOTH kind...do you notice a big difference between using single platinum Autolite plugs and double platinum Autolite plugs??

I have single platinum right now (I just put them in about 3-4 weeks ago) and just wondering if there is any noticeable difference using the doubles?? If there is a big enough difference, I will go buy the doubles and replace my singles....the guys at Advance automatically hand out Autolite's single plats for some reason

Autolite only!

skytop 08-09-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Platinum vs. Double Platinum Plugs

Today I installed DOUBLE your pleasure platinum plugs and removed the old single platinum plugs.

Now it impossible to report how the singles worked when they were new. However, my engine had developed a slight vibration/shake at idle which was very annoying to this gear head.

I installed the DOUBLE platinums (rebate running now from Autolite) and the engine smoothness now is 'shocking.' Both the anode and cathode is platinum coated now. It feels like a V12 now (Had a V12 Jag once). Yes, it is running that smooth and that is not an exaggeration. There is virtually no vibration or shake. It is rock steady. 30 years of motorcycling and I am an expert on engine vibration! Performance has also sharpened up. Longevity is promised to be greater than the single platinums.

Are the double platinums worth it? I will recommend them with a resounding YES.

P.S.: The managers at my local Auto stores are far from knowledgeable. They are all young guys with a pittance of experience so don't rely on them. They will push whatever has the greatest margin or the greatest inventory excess or incipient obsolescence. Do your own due dilligence.

Jonathon1289 08-09-2012 05:55 PM

Thanks for that info...I am going to be changing my spark plugs at the end of the month and have been trying to decide what to install.
I have heard the 'fine wire' plugs are the best, but from what I saw online only iridium plus are listed as fine wire. Any have thoughts or info on those?

Mattygb2128 08-09-2012 06:01 PM

Thanks for that, skytop!! That helps a lot! I have some vibration going on in there as well, that was actually one of the reasons i was asking.

Anyone else with the experience like skytop??

skytop 08-09-2012 06:06 PM

I made another post today about the plugs.
Most importantly, is that you use ONLY Autolite plugs. They are the only plugs made for Ford engines that are ONE PIECE plugs.

All other brands are two piece plugs that are speed welded together. Problem is that they snap off at times when removed after many miles of service. This leaves the very bottom threads remaining in your cylinder head. Now what do you do? A number of tool makers have released a removal tool kit to help you remove the plug reminent....and it involves work.

So only use Autolite plugs...and the double platinums are the best at a very small price increase. There is an Autolite rebate going on now so you can make the purchase a win-win for you.

Mattygb2128 08-09-2012 06:09 PM

That post was actually why i posted this in the first place haha

SR2K 08-09-2012 06:09 PM

I only use copper plugs for one reason.

Copper is one of the best conductors. Far better than platinum, iridinium or whatever else they're plating plugs in.

The only problem with them is that they will wear out faster, they should be replaced every 10,000 miles. Thats the reason they started plating the other plugs, because they allow longer change intervals.

If you want the best performance, use the $2 autolite copper plugs. They dont last as long, but they work better.

the3oh1 08-09-2012 06:31 PM

correct me if im wrong but aren't the autolite XP plugs the best top of the line? wouldn't they work best? but i'd just run the plugs that just came with the truck, motocrafts

skytop 08-10-2012 05:33 AM

Copper vs. Platinum debate

Yes, copper is generally considered the better conductor for performance but it's life is far shorter.
If you have too much free time, love busting your knuckles, and buying plugs every 10K miles, then go with copper.

After you read this, consider the time, bruised knuckles and challenge involved in changing the plugs on the Ranger V6 passenger side and then you will see the wisdom of going with double platinum for longevity. Iridium is the middle choice. It has better conductivity than platinum but not as good as copper. Yet irridium has better longevity than copper but not as good as platinum, so it presents an in between choice. Irridium plugs are also the most expensive.

dvrich 08-10-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytop (Post 979201)
Today I installed DOUBLE your pleasure platinum plugs and removed the old single platinum plugs.

Now it impossible to report how the singles worked when they were new. However, my engine had developed a slight vibration/shake at idle which was very annoying to this gear head.

I installed the DOUBLE platinums (rebate running now from Autolite) and the engine smoothness now is 'shocking.' Both the anode and cathode is platinum coated now. It feels like a V12 now (Had a V12 Jag once). Yes, it is running that smooth and that is not an exaggeration. There is virtually no vibration or shake. It is rock steady. 30 years of motorcycling and I am an expert on engine vibration! Performance has also sharpened up. Longevity is promised to be greater than the single platinums.

Are the double platinums worth it? I will recommend them with a resounding YES.

P.S.: The managers at my local Auto stores are far from knowledgeable. They are all young guys with a pittance of experience so don't rely on them. They will push whatever has the greatest margin or the greatest inventory excess or incipient obsolescence. Do your own due dilligence.

So it feels like a V12 when you changed to double platinum plugs.....must be when your fuel mileage went to 30 mpg with your 4x4 4.0??

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q...shit_meter.gif

djfllmn 08-10-2012 05:55 AM

hahahahahahahahaha dvrich...thats classic

dvrich 08-10-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfllmn (Post 979705)
hahahahahahahahaha dvrich...thats classic

With that Tbird in your sig, how good does that 5000 lb car perform with the 429? 2 bbl or 4 bbl?
That was back when you could sit on the hood of a car without bowing it in!

djfllmn 08-10-2012 06:07 AM

car does freaking awesome...with me in it it weighs about 4600lbs...4 barrel carb...11:1 compression, rated at 360HP and 480Ft. lbs torque...im thinking those numbers are a little on the low side lol...only thing that outruns me is my gas guage lol...and yea that is back when sheet metal was sheet metal lol

Jonathon1289 08-10-2012 07:05 AM

So I just checked AutoLite's website, and they only have Copper or single Platinum plugs listed for the 2009 4.0.

The 2.3L has the XP Xtreme and Double Platinum listed as compatible though, would they be the same part number as what fits the 4.0?

The gap, heat range, hex and everything matches when compared to the 4.0 compatible plugs so I would assume I can grab 6 of them without any issues. For reference, Autolite part # XP104 is for the 2.3L XP Xtreme and AP5143 is for the 4.0L Platinum plugs.

I am also looking at the Professional series wires, thoughts?

djfllmn 08-10-2012 07:08 AM

get the single platnium...they will work fine