Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   Main Brake Line Fitting Size Question (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/66158-main-brake-line-fitting-size-question.html)

mcesar84 07-10-2012 12:53 PM

Main Brake Line Fitting Size Question

So my '96 busted a main brake line on a trip up north where its still sitting. The line runs from the rear connector on the master cylinder to the square shaped fitting behind the front drivers wheel. New line seems to fit sungly into the master cylinder, but for the life of my I cant get it to thread into the lower fitting. I bought a 3/16 brake line from autozone, which has the same screw sizes on each end. I'm reading that the screws on each end of the line may be different sizes? The question is, does anyone know what size I need and where I can get it? Nearest auto parts store is 30 miles away from the truck so i'm hoping to go prepared next time. Any advice is appreciated!

blhde 07-10-2012 01:57 PM

Re: Main Brake Line Fitting Size Question

If the line doesn't fit the flex line block you will need to pull that off take it to the store to get the correct size fitting. Then you will need to use a compression fitting to marry the lines into one.

If you can cap the bad section off bleed the system and limp it out of where its stuck at to a place you can get it fixed right.

PATech 05-04-2021 02:23 PM

Never, ever use compression fittings nor single flares on brake lines. Unsafe.

12 Deg North Industries 05-05-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATech (Post 2766702)
Never, ever use compression fittings nor single flares on brake lines. Unsafe.

It was a suggestion under "Get me home" not a permanent fix, hence get it out and fixed right mentioned at the end.

I dont think anyone remotely into vehicles and 100 brain cells to rub together would think of using even a single flared line anyways, most people are to lazy to not just get a working line to R&R.

You start talking straight brake lines, flaring tools, and eyeballing bends in lines, and people will look at you like you have two heads on your shoulders anymore,, that was decades ago skillset

I've seen some pretty shady of shady things in the desert and mountains do everything from positively change a S.A.R.'s situation to a vehicle recovery to get upright in a situation. Even if its to get it out 83 miles West of nowhere to the main road and flat-bedded out at least.

dvrich 05-05-2021 02:08 PM

That question was from 2012, I'm sure he figured something out or the police tagged and had it towed.

12 Deg North Industries 05-06-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvrich (Post 2766711)
That question was from 2012, I'm sure he figured something out or the police tagged and had it towed.

lol, I seen that, had hoped even you didn't catch me on that one.. [damn]

it just showed up in NEW posts feed and I fell for it.